New member; question about column to floor shifter conversion

Old 10-13-2010, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member; question about column to floor shifter conversion

Hi all, new to the B Body forums......in the process of searching for a 1968-1970 Plymouth GTX or Satellite Convertible (my first Mopar) ...anyway wondering what all is involved in changing over from a column shift to a floor shift (Automatic)......mainly does the opening on the "hump" need to be cut or is there a plate there that is simply removed.......there seems to be more for sale with the column shift then a floor shift.......did look around on the Year One site and everything seems to be available to add a floor shifter & console to a B Body that does not have one...did not see any linkage though...but I am coming form a GM background.....what about the steering column itself.......did not see any on the Year One site......are they available as a reproduction or just as used somewhere..........sorry about all the questions but just getting started here.have to start somewhere.....thanks

Last edited by soundhd; 10-14-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure about the column, but I figure you'll have to find a used one. As to the floor pan, if you look at your tunnel, you'll see some indentations. One large one, with 3 smaller one's around it. The large one is for the shift linkage to pass thru the floor, and the 3 smaller one's are for mounting screws for the ring/boot combo that seals the linkage from the weather. You will either need to find the measurements for mounting brackets where they weld to the floor, or else find a b-body in a junkyard to get the brackets and locations to weld them. Otherwise it's going to be a guessing game to get your console/linkage/shifter to match up right and work freely.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 69 Roadrunner and will make the conversion from 727 TF to Tremec 5 speed this winter. The kit by HurstDriveline http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/ includes everything except the pedal kit which is available for about $250 from quite a few places. Granted it's not an original 4 speed but very little on my car is. Brewers Performance offers an original 4 speed type conversion kit. http://www.brewersperformance.com/