Member's Rides This section is for the members to show off their vehicles. Please read the rules before posting!!

1971 Dodge Demon Sizzler EV2

Old 09-30-2010, 08:53 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1971 Dodge Demon Sizzler EV2

Originally Posted by 78D200
So what is this new love that would make you sell your truck and Dart?

I cut a deal earlier this week on a 1971 Dodge Demon EV2 with the A59 Sizzler option. Anybody know about these cars? I'm going down to Idaho to pick the car up next month. I'm gonna have to get a title for it, but that shouldn't be too bad. I'm hoping I'm not jynxing myself here. The last Demon I cut a deal on fell through, so...
Attached Thumbnails 1971 Dodge Demon Sizzler EV2-sany1005.jpg   1971 Dodge Demon Sizzler EV2-sany1007.jpg   1971 Dodge Demon Sizzler EV2-sany1008.jpg   1971 Dodge Demon Sizzler EV2-sany1043.jpg   1971 Dodge Demon Sizzler EV2-sany1054.jpg  

Last edited by chlngr1970; 10-02-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Mopar Fan

Nice ride hope it comes through for ya. The Demon Sizzler was just a special version of the regular demon. it was advertised as the car for the young cause of the cool color options, moldings/racing stripes down the sides and over the trunk lid and hood, and rallye wheels. It looks to be original, what size block?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Mopar Lover

So far, what I know of it, it's possibly the numbers matching 318. If it is, then cool...I might just use that for the 350HP 318 I was gonna build for the Dart. If not..then who knows...

Also, someone has swapped in an 8.75 rear...so WIN for me

j
Old 09-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Are you sure that someone swapped the 8.75? It says Demon 340 on the rear and if it is a Demon 340... that 8 3/4 would be standard issue. I remember when those were new and that car looks like the real deal. Non power assist front disc brakes and all.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Mopar Lover

So far, I'm going by what I'm being told. I haven't seen the fender tag, or the VIN yet, so that will be the determining factor. I am told that the fender tag has the code A59, so...we shall see when I actually see the car. This is he problem with buying a car like this over the interwebs I seriously missed the 340 tag on the tail panel tho...

j
Old 09-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Administrator with a large ban hammer !

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
OK, a little history lesson here..
The A59 Sizzler package was a dressup package for the Demon. It gave performance looks without the price tag. You got side and tail 340 type stripes, special blackout hood treatment, and Rallye wheels. The car pictured above sports a 340 decal on the tail panel which is NOT original (it's not placed properly). Someone was trying to make their 318 look like a race car. The vin will read LL29G1, a real 340 car would be LM29H1.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:38 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Is that how the vehicle sits now?

Looking at the smaller pics it looked better. lol

I hope it all goes well for you bro!

Nice info on the package discription guys!
Old 10-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
What happened with the Dart?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by blue 68 gts
What happened with the Dart?
I still got it. It's for sale, if you're interested...CHEEP I have had two 71 Demon 340 4spd cars in the past, and I couldn't help but get this one when I found it. I lost out on a deal on a Demon when I bought the Dart, and kinds wish I had tried harder to get the Demon over the Dart, but who knows how that would have panned out. Judging from the pictures I have seen, the Demon is in better shape rust wise than the Dart. I have been toying with the idea of selling it for a while now. I even put out a feeler thread at FABO about selling it back in August of '09. I talked with a guy in southwest Washington that might be interested in doing a partial trade with me on a tuck...so we shall see what happens...

j
Old 10-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Mopar Lover

PM me with prices, what comes with the car, ect.

If you can send me pics of the rust areas. IF i bought it I'd be building it for a race car. Can't start with too rusty of a car if you know what I mean.

Post darts make good race cars..

-Nick
Old 10-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Mopar Lover

I got the car home last night about 2:30 AM. It was a long drive from Boise, and my GF has a lead foot with a car on a trailer

Anyway, I need to juggle the space in my garage so the Demon has a new home. I think after the car is cleaned up, and an inventory is taken of what needs to be done, I will have a better idea what I am doing with it. I tried turning the motor over by hand, but no luck. That could just be I'm a not Superman, or it's seized. I have the 318 out of my truck to get it running, but I want to do this right. It looks like it might need a steering column, and the throttle cable was cut. It has an E-Body steering wheel is it, so I don't know yet. The passenger wheel house needs to be replaced due to a blow out some time in it's history. I saw what looked like a blower motor behind the rear seat...I head something about a rear window defroster...dunno yet. I like the rear seat ( I'll post pix later ) and am thinking of trying to mimic that on a set of modern buckets.

So, the current vision is the 3-350 HP small block with an auto trans. The 8.75 that was transplanted in will stay. 340 or better Torsion bars, and good rear springs. Hooker headers, with 2.5" exhaust. I'm going to try and get the motor pulled this weekend, and see about getting the front brakes swapped out to the bigger bolt circle disc brakes. I have the parts I picked up for the rear brakes I can get the brakes done, maybe this weekend. I got a LOT of work to do in just two short days I wouldn't trade it for the world.

More later...

j
Old 10-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Mopar Lover

I got the car off the trailer and into the garage last night. Ramps fell off the trailer with the front tires half way down Pushed the car the rest of the way off the ramps and got them back on the trailer...got it all lined up and PUSH!!!

The ramps fell again...

Luckily I was far enough down to miss landing on the bumper...THAT would have sucked. So, after re-arranging the garage, and getting some junk ( including a cracked 400 block and a couple old projection TVs ) I have pleanty of room for the car now. My buddy kept telling me to put the Winnebago 440 in the Demon

I did a little more investigating the 318 and it looks like it is locked up tight. I'll pull it this weekend and be sure...but it looks like I am going to have to decide how to procede. I have a number of options at my disposal, so I am not bummed in the least bit. Just having it off the tailer and out of the weather is a big plus for me. I am giving some consideration to building a stroker 318 for it I have two 318's to work with, one running, one disassembled. I also have a 340, 360, 400 and two 440s

If I go 318, I am looking to get 3-350 HP out of it. It will have manual disc brakes, and I am thinking of keeping the factory A/C <GASP>

Now, do I try and rebuild the tranny in it if the motor is locked tight, or try and find a core to rebuild? I believe I have a 904 ( haven't looked yet ) or should I just get one of my 727s rebuilt? I have heard the 904 can be made into a good little performance tranny...

So many questions, so little money to spend...

j
Old 10-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Mopar Lover

Dont worry Jay, I have a lead foot with my car on the trailer too.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:28 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
The 904 is a very good tranny.. I ran on in my 340 Duster and it ran 9.80's at 133... Have one ready for the DP Challenger... Properly built they are very good trannys....
Old 10-31-2010, 01:03 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by MReeves
The 904 is a very good tranny.. I ran on in my 340 Duster and it ran 9.80's at 133... Have one ready for the DP Challenger... Properly built they are very good trannys....
I'll agree, they can. But to last longer, I'd do a 727. I've talked to guys who ran low 10 / 9 sec cars w/ a 904 and they rebuild them 2x a year.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Mopar Lover

Found out that the 318 in th Demon is origional

Now, hopefully I can free up the pistons. THAT would be cool!

Well, my elation was quickly tempered with the revelation of the number 1 and number 8 cylinders being rusted tight. I am hoping that penetrating oil, and a good honing will clean up the bore enough to use. If not, weather or not I can get the pistons out, I may have to go back to my original idea of the '72 truck 318, or my '73 340...

I have PB-Blaster soaking in the cylinders now, hopeful I can get them freed up.

j

Last edited by chlngr1970; 11-01-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: oops
Old 11-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Mopar Lover

The 318 is free! I was able to get it to rotate about 90 degrees This weekend, I'm gonna try getting the crank, rods and pistons out, and get the block to a machine shop to see if it can be saved.

j
Old 11-15-2010, 01:41 AM
Mopar Lover

Lost my internets friday night Waiting on Frontier to send me yet another modem. Hopefully it will last longer than 8 months this time

Anyway, my Android Droid X is saving my internet addiction

I got the pistons out of the block. Now I just need to find my balancer puller to get the crank and cam out of the block. If I am off on a clear day this week, I'll get that done. I'm gonna take the block in to see if it can be saved.

Now, do I use this block and build a motor, or save it and drop one of my other small blocks in? I am looking at ordering a Turbo Action 904, and hopefully having a road worthy car NEXT summer. I figure get the tranny, exhaust system, suspension, and the pumpkin taken care of with my spring bonus. Then with my next winter bonus, get the motor built. I'll get an intake and carb ( looking hard at the Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS carb ) and maybe some interior stuff. I also need to get that fender well fixed ( wonder what THAT is gonna cost

So many choices...I hate to have to make that decision, but I'm glad I am in a position where I CAN bake that kind of decision

I'm leaning toward my extra 318 block and saving the numbers block to maybe a do a nut/bolt full boogy resto in the future.

Decisions, decisions...

j

PS...

A couple pix
Attached Thumbnails 1971 Dodge Demon Sizzler EV2-bad-cylinder.jpg   1971 Dodge Demon Sizzler EV2-bad-cylinder-2.jpg   1971 Dodge Demon Sizzler EV2-crank-journals.jpg  
Old 11-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Mopar Lover

Got the crank, and cam out. The block is now ready to go to the machine shop. I found this when I pulled the cam, and I also found I broke the timing cover I think I can find another tho...

j
Attached Thumbnails 1971 Dodge Demon Sizzler EV2-cam-2.jpg  
Old 11-28-2010, 07:08 AM
Mopar Lover

wow, nice find, looks like the 318 has a little performance history. excellent job getting the motor free. that looked really bad. Good luck on the edo.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Mopar Fan

nice score

thats sick man!, why dont i get that lucky lol? you still got your other duster? the 70 ? I atually moved about a 1/2 mile from your folks LOl , im just down the road towards toledo from them now, we bought a house down here last april. Keep in touch, talk to you soon.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Mopar Lover

Yup. I still have the Duster. She is sleeping outside right now because the city is complaning about the Dart being in the driveway, with no motor in it Anyway, I'm hoping I can come up with some to get the motor into the shop soon, so I know if I can save it. I don't want to have to wait till this spring to find out.

I'm now planning on getting the 340 freshened up and drop that in the Demon. I need to get the exhaust valve seats replaced with hardened ones. What I am probably going to end up doing, is get the transmission rebuilt and use the 318 from my truck to drive it for the summer. I have the parts to rebuild the rear brakes...that's a start I'd like to get the front end rebuilt as well. I also want to get the disc brakes from the Sport on the car.

So...this spring...I Need the following:
  • 904 rebuilt
  • converter
  • front end rebuilt
  • Front brakes swapped
  • rear brakes rebuilt
  • RR wheel house fixed
  • headers, dual exhaust

I haven't really looked into the quality of the wiring yet. I was seriously considering just buying new wiring harnesses and putting them in just to be safe. Not sure on that yet. I'm also probably just going to buy new alternator, starter and distributor. I think I'll also pick up a new carb , or get my carter 625 rebuilt, and use that on the 318, with a mild perf. cam till I get the 340 rebuilt.

I need to get into the rear to find out what pumpkin is in it. Maybe this weekend I will go ahead and do the rear brakes, and check out the pumpkin. At least I can accomplish SOMETHING

j
Old 12-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Mopar Lover

I have a question for my learned brethren of the MOPAR community. I am considering moving forward with my "resto" plans instead of getting the car running for summer. Being on a limited budget for this project, would it be better to get started on a restoration style rebuild, or get it on the road ASAP?

I was thinking this weekend of completely stripping the car to the rolling chassis, and hauling it off to a body shop. There she would sit for however long it takes to get back a car ready to assemble. How do you fellas send off your restoration projects for what can amount to years at a time? I remember a long time ago ( when I had my FC7 71 Demon 340 ) a friend that had a 68 Barracuda Fast back in the body shop for over 3 years. This would allow me to get the most expensive part done over time, and give me a realistic way of funding it. I could even, in theory, have a freshly painted, running car, NEXT summer.

hmm...

That sounds like a good idea, actually...

j
Old 12-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Hey chlngr I would go ahead and just get it over with asap and get her done up the right way so you can enjoy it for many years if you keep her , I no it seems it takes forever to do a resto but in the long haul its worth it , If the money is there and you have a bit to wait i would just geterdone IMO
Old 01-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Mopar Lover

I am leaning more and more toward stripping the car and getting the body "done right" giving me time to pull together the rest of the parts I need for a resto. What I might do, is try and find a driver ( I want to drive an older MOPAR SO BAD ) so I can send the Demon to the shop for however long it takes.

We shall see what happens when I get my car money

j
Old 04-17-2011, 12:08 AM
Mopar Lover

So, my car money shows up, and the tranny goes south on the Durango I bought for my GF So, the project cars will have to sit some more

j
Old 04-17-2011, 04:14 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Isn't that always the way. Once you start working on one vehicle, the others get jealous and want some attension too.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Mopar Lover

New direction for the Demon!

So, I brought home yesterday, what I was told is a 2000 Dakota R/T 5.9, auto tranny, and rear end. Once I got the idea in my head, I was going to put the 5.9 in my Dakota, along with the rear end, but the tranny...

Now, I am looking at freshening up the 5.2 from my Dakota, and mating it to the auto tranny from the R/T and masaging it into the Demon. I had a guy out today to give me a rough idea of what I will need to spend to get the Demon body work and painting done. To get the trunk, prepped and painted, will be about $1400. Total, for all the paint and body work, he quoted $8000. I'm planing on getting the trunk done first, then the suspension, then the engine compartment and the interior. Once the car is running again, I'll get the rest of it done.

One good thing about the deal I got, I got two computers. One the original, the other the MP computer. I also got two Folgers cans full of connectors with pigtails that they guy told me you can send the pigtails in and have a harness made for your cars.

I'll post more as it progresses.

j

Last edited by chlngr1970; 06-09-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1971 Dodge Demon Sizzler EV2