Distributor

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Distributor

I am putting a list together of parts I need to buy so that I don't miss anything with my project, and I am looking to get a Mallory distributor but am unsure of what I want to get. Here is the setup I am putting together Chrysler 440 engine with Edelbrock intake #2191, cam 2192, carb 18064, timing chain 7804. I will also have headers, and be replacing the valve covers, things I know I need that I did not include are gaskets and bolts, but I am trying to make sure I have all the big parts first. If anyone could recommend a Mallory distributor for this setup I would appreciate it. I need a new distributor and coil as I am replacing the lean burn, just to give you an idea. Any input would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Commando; 12-05-2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:29 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
My opinion--I just don't care for Mallory, unless you are taking some really built race application. The factory electronic distributors work pretty good for street engines. If you insist on aftermarket, I much prefer Accell
Old 12-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Mopar Lover

Which model would you recommend for Accel? I was recommended either Mallory or Accel.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Mopar Lover

First, I'm not recommending Accel, I just much prefer Accel over Mallory.

HOWEVER for a street engine, I'd much prefer sticking with the factory type electronic ignition. It works fine for the street, and you can easily get parts--something you can't do with Mallory.

You can go here and download the Accel catalogue:

http://www.accel-ignition.com/Catalo...aspx?BrandID=3
Old 12-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Mopar Lover

Thanks, that is so much easier to find one that fits my engine, Mallory was not easy to find one, and I have not gotten a response yet, and it has been a week.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Mopar Lover

Quick question as I have never bought an Accel replacement distributor, as the ones for the 440 don't have gears on them, do I just take the gear off the old one? I could not find gears on their site, and will that factory gear be compatible with my Edelbrock cam? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Mopar Lover

None of the big block Mopars have gears on the distributor--the gear is on the pump shaft, which sits down in the block. Then the distributor goes in with the "slot" drive.

(Well, hell, the SB's are the same way!!)

I just checked my old book, and you do this:

Bring no1 up ready to fire "on the mark" TDC. Drop the oil pump drive shaft in (it will "spiral" on the helical gears) so that the slot is parallel with crankshaft. (In other words, point straight front to rear)

The distributor can then go in two ways, and only one way will place the rotor pointing to the "accepted" postion for the cap. Actually, it will run "anywhere"--that is, you could drop the gear in "any old way" drop the distributor in "any old way" and then bring up no1 "ready to fire." Now, wherever the rotor points is where you start with no1 wire. This of course is not accepted, mostly because of only two reasons:

Mechanics back in the day were used to seeing the wiring "where they were used to it" on all cars, and--

The plug wires "lay down better" if placed in the accepted position.

There ARE A FEW engines whereby this "cheat" does not work, and that is for example, some of the odd fire V6 engines, which have larger "firing space" in time between every other pair of cylinders. That means that if you get the wires rotated "one hole" the thing simply won't be in time correctly, and the spark will carbon track across the inside of the cap

On my first car, a '57 Chev 265, I did NOT KNOW that you were supposed to "lay" the wires a certain way. When I worked on the engine, I just dropped in the distributor, wound the engine over to no1, and looked where the rotor was. Some service station jock informed me---after I'd driven into the station!!---that my "engine could not possibly run because the wires were in the wrong spot." Of course I started it right up and drove it right off!! He never could understand "how that worked!!"

I actually had to look this up in the "book." It's probably been 25 years since I've installed a drive gear in a BB Mopar!!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Mopar Lover

Oh ok, thanks, I just thought it was the one I was looking at. That sounds easier then I thought, that also makes sense of what I was told as there were two ways to put it in, thats all I was told, and thats why I was confused.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Mopar Lover

This is too good not to share about Mallory, as I said I contacted them about which of their many models would be best for my application. This is the response I got back, "My favorite is the 3757801, but there are so many to choose from these days." I looked this up and it won't even work for my engine. Good thing I decided to use Accel and was able to find a model myself. Thanks again everyone.