I want to build a pre-runner out of a rust bucket '73 Charger, I need your help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to build a pre-runner out of a rust bucket '73 Charger, I need your help.

Hey guys. To start off, I'm going to post the text from the thread I had on Reddit. Before you read it, I'd like to state that I have just learned that the car still has a big block in it that I am now planning to restore, not an LS swap like I'm talking about in the thread.

Ok, so I posted a while back about looking at a junk yard 73 Charger. I found the car and absolutely fell in love, but I'm a Chevy guy and Hemi's are expensive, especially for a college student. The car is pretty trashed, and not worth a restoration anyway. Just, look at it[1] . As much as I love the car, I don't think anyone else would. The car was originally vinyl top, poorly bondo'd over. The rocker panels are rusting out, as well as some of the body. The interior is trashed, hood rusted in place, trunk lid and windshield both missing. It does have on thing going for it, which is the larger more beefy 8 3/4" rear end, though I don't know the current gear ratio.
All that said, I still want the car and I want to make it drive. So here is where the sins start. I want to drop in... a 5.3 LS engine and manual transmission (NV4500?) with a cam and a port/polish on the heads. Go carb'd with the edelbrock kit, long tube headers to glasspacks with 3" mandrel bent pipe dumped out the sides. The only electronics would be an electric radiator fan, an old radio, ignition box, fuel pump, and oil pressure/coolant temp gauges. Maybe electric power steering from a Saturn depending on how hard it would be to mate the traditional power steering.
The car is going to be very basic. I'll go through and replace all the suspension/brakes/steering components as well as wheel bearings and new hubs all the way around. I want the car to be reliable, but also fun. It will not need A/C, but I'll run a heater core with a cheap electric fan to blow heat into the cabin for when it's cold. I'll weld sheet metal over any holes I find. The interior will be gutted bare with nothing but a dash, steering wheel, and two (probably racing) seats.
Ok, I'm going to sin a little more here. I want to build it to be a desert racer, so it will need just a little bit of lift. Nothing insane, just enough for some more ground clearance and slightly larger A/T tires. For the front, it's looking like a monte carlo bar and custom control arms in the front. I'd like to stick with the control arms that are there to keep cost down, but I think it needs 3-4" lift in the front and I doubt that would be possible on stock arms. Thoughts? I'd like the same amount in the rear also, but I want to avoid spacers and just go with beefier springs and longer shackles. Any thoughts on what kind of vehicle would have similar springs that I could pull out of a junk yard? Or perhaps I could just add a leaf to the current leaf springs and then do longer shackles.
I would like to avoid cutting the fenders at all costs. I'll be getting five new rims with tires and all four will need to match. I'm looking at Cragar Soft 8s because of cost and availability of size/offset options. I'm thinking 15s, but what dimensions do I want? How wide, what offset? I'll do longer bump stops to make sure the tires stay out of the fenders. At stock height, what would be the largest I could fit front and rear? I'd like as wide an offset as possible too for cornering stability. Steering geometry will also need help, but I can work that out.
As for drivetrain, I'll obviously need a custom driveshaft and I would weld the spider gears in the factory rear end. Pretty simple there.
As for all the rust and reinforcement... I plan to chop out the rusted rockers and weld in 1x3" or 2x4" rectangular steel tubing similar to rock sliders on an off road vehicle. I would most likely make the monte carlo bar out of the same. Probably also reinforce the frame with some and then weld up some kind of roll cage out of 2" round tubing.
There's no gas tank, so I'd probably just drill out some holes for drainage, bolt a universal gas tank into the trunk, and then place the spare tire where the trunk would be a la trophy truck style.
I'll also weld up some tough recovery points and some tubular bumper covers (similar to this
[2] , but better looking) to mount some lights on and to protect the car from brush. And a diff guard on the rear, most definitely.
Oh, and I want to daily drive it. I'll have a backup vehicle which is my current DD 03 Land Rover Discovery, but I'd daily the Charger.
Now that I've made all the hardcore Mopar guys cry (sorry, I'd throw in a Hemi if I could afford it), can you help me? Lots of custom fab will be going on and I don't plan to even paint it. Maybe re-bondo the roof and then squirt something over that, but nothing more.

EDIT: TL;DR

1.) How much can I lift the front with stock arms?

2.) Coilovers. How about some stock F150 coilovers in the front to lift and replace the torsion bars at the same time?
Finally, I need some help rebuilding the big block. I'm thinking a DIY port and polish, complete refresh on the heads, bore the bottom .010, 440 crank whether it's a 400 or a 440, Summit Cam, and this intake with two of these carbs. If it's a 440 I'll have the heads milled. If it's a 400 I'll just have them decked since the 440 crank will increase compression. Then some long tube headers back to 3" dia pipe, glasspacks, dumped out the side.

I also need help on the front suspension. I'm thinking chop and weld in stronger shock mounts and convert to coilovers. Then some kind of custom control arms to raise the front about 3", ideally. I don't know where to start on making custom arms. I don't have any way to bend steel. Can I just cut and weld steel tubing perhaps? I don't know anything about that, any info would be appreciated.

Also, I know pretty much jack sh*t about the auto transmissions which is what it has. I don't know what it will need at this point because it's been sitting in a junk yard for who knows how long. On that, I don't even know where to start.

Last edited by Alex_M; 09-25-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
You've been watching to much Roadkill.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:02 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
I'm Lost...... BUT....
Put the body on a Chevy or Dodge or Ford 4X4 chassis. Something that runs.. Hook up the steering... Hook up the load pedal... Install the Brake booster and extend the brake line... A little wiring and your done.....
Old 09-25-2015, 07:31 AM

I've definitely watched my share of Roadkill, was actually just sitting down to watch the new episode right now.

I did consider putting it on a truck chassis, but I really don't want to. I'm willing to fabricate almost everything, I've got that pretty much sorted out other than the control arms and the shock towers. It would need to stay with independent front suspension to be a decent pre-runner anyway. Eventually the rear leaves would get switched out for a 4 link setup also.

What I really need help with is the engine and the transmission. I'm usually a Chevy guy, could rebuild a small block or LS in no time, but when it comes to Mopar stuff I have pretty much no experience.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:54 AM

Ok, I'm changing my mind a little bit. I'm thinking this rotating assembly unless it's a 440, in which case hopefully the crank and rods will be in good enough shape to polish up and re-use with some new pistons and a little honing on the cylinders depending on how badly they're rusted.

Last edited by Alex_M; 09-25-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:53 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question ???????

I'm lost, also. -- Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:50 AM
Mopar Lover

I would say go 10.0.1 CR and call it good....
Put a VooDoo Roller in it and call it good....

As for the Trans.... Order a Cope Performance trans W/ A PTC or TCS Performance or Continental converter that meets the need....

As or the fab work.... I would love to see pictures of the build....

Just my 2 cents....
Old 09-26-2015, 07:36 PM

So do you mean stick with factory heads and just have them completely re-done and milled?

As for the cam, is there a particular reason (other than the efficiency of the design) to go with the $700 roller setup as opposed to the $120 flat tappet setup? This is a budget build, so I'm trying to go cheap (current college student, little to no $$$ most days).

As for the trans, any reason to buy new instead of sticking with original other than reliability? I was planning on sticking with the current Torqueflite and throwing on a shift kit, but if I were to replace the trans with new or even used I'd install a manual no doubt.

If/when this comes to fruition I'll definitely make a post with tons of pictures!

Last edited by Alex_M; 09-26-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:54 AM
Mopar Lover

Whatever fits your budget....
Old 09-27-2015, 08:13 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
I am a believer in putting money into the short block, heads and cam could be changed later to aluminum or roller as funds become available. The same can be said about transmissions, use what you have to get going and if it fails or you upgrade, can be changed it on a weekend.

Before you start guessing take an inventory of what you have (engine size and condition) then make a goal so your parts list falls within your budget and can get the tires turning.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:59 AM

Cool. If there was a big reason I was willing to save longer, but if the cheaper will work then I'll stick with that for now.

I know for a fact that the engine is a big block, either a 400 or a 440 but I'm not sure which right now. It would need a total rebuild, it's been sitting in the woods with the hood up and no air cleaner or even a carb to keep things out of the engine, so a total overhaul would be required. The trans is the 727 Torqueflite, not sure about what kind of shape it's in. Hopefully good, we'll see.

Thanks guys, you've been very helpful!