Question about a shifter for the A-833

Old 01-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about a shifter for the A-833

This is for my 67 GTX clone. The car was originally an automatic car. I am trying to find a new correct shifter and I am confused. According to summitracing.com it is 3916790 for the year/make/model, but it does not look right. What looks right to me is 3916789, but that shifter is not correct according to year/make/model. I would appreciate it if some of you would go to http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

and let me know what you think.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Hell kitten

Well, here is a link to a Galen Govier certified 440 4 speed 67 GTX.

She sure is pretty but my wallet just isn't thick enough to afford her.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mrhummer3...eed/index.html

The pic in particular with the shifter shown is:
http://home.earthlink.net/imagelib/s...g&target=_self

Good timing on this question, as I wondered myself. I might just track down a 4 speed myself.

You have any extra parts ?!
Old 01-22-2010, 03:31 AM
Administrator with a large ban hammer !

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
The shifter in that example has been "upgraded" according to the write-up, so it may not be correct either.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Mopar Lover

Morrigan and Mr340, thanks for the info. Now I am even more confused! If anyone can provide a part number or another pic of a stock 4 speed shifter for the 67 GTX, I would appreciate it.

Morrigan, I am almost done with my project. I can send you a message with what I have left, but it will be another month or so. I know for sure I have a deck lid a couple of fenders (not perfect) and a pair of seats that you could install and use, but I do not think these seats are correct for the 67 Plymouth. I am sure there will be other smaller stuff, but as I say, I will let you know. I have the 4 speed shifter that was in the car when I got it. It is not nice enough to put in my GTX clone project, but it is functional.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Hell kitten

Originally Posted by mr340
The shifter in that example has been "upgraded" according to the write-up, so it may not be correct either.
Well crap. ~sigh~

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/f.../photo_03.html

http://image.moparmusclemagazine.com..._Dashboard.jpg

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/f.../photo_05.html

I've called Year One and the tech is looking in Galen Govier's books. An 833 transmission gets a shifter code of T3. There were four or five available shifters that year. Fun eh?

Now, which shifter gets the T3 code? Well, he's still looking! I'm getting a call back and I will post more soon. This is something I want to know too.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Hell kitten

Originally Posted by 67gtxclone
Morrigan and Mr340, thanks for the info. Now I am even more confused! If anyone can provide a part number or another pic of a stock 4 speed shifter for the 67 GTX, I would appreciate it.

Morrigan, I am almost done with my project. I can send you a message with what I have left, but it will be another month or so. I know for sure I have a deck lid a couple of fenders (not perfect) and a pair of seats that you could install and use, but I do not think these seats are correct for the 67 Plymouth. I am sure there will be other smaller stuff, but as I say, I will let you know. I have the 4 speed shifter that was in the car when I got it. It is not nice enough to put in my GTX clone project, but it is functional.
Super, just let me know. I've got some local-ish folks trying to help me too. I'm not in a hurry, and the b/f gets real anxious when I start saying "hey look, I found a front disk setup that will fit my car" and "hey look, that PST polygraphite front end kit is on sale"....LOL

What do I need?

Well.....I do need some interior parts as some of mine are crappy. Like door panels and a steering wheel, and those underdash heater components that look like vaccuum cleaner attachments. They are POS and the mounting ears break off. Car is blue inside but I am thinking about going black because I'm concerned that even Year One or Legendary's new products may not match up with the old blue vinyl. Eventually I'll need front bucket covers (though I am considering going bench in this car) and foam, headliner (it's not all the bad, a couple small holes but not sagging or torn), and carpet etc. I would like a radio delete plate.

I believe my backup and tail light lenses are crazed or cracked but functional. One bezel is crunched and my driver's fender is cracked up but repairable. There is a piece of support behind the grill that I need and I may have that nailed down once I get a picture to send off.

Hmmm...sometime let me know what you've got left over, I am sure some things have escaped my mind at the moment.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Hell kitten

Alright, well, we are getting to the bottom of this either today or Monday.

Found a source at Year One that is willing to do the legwork for us. I'll repost what he emails me when I get it. he will scan a picture and all information pertaining to the A-833 shifter only.

This shifter is apparently NOT in production, no matter what Summit is telling you, according to Year One (they do not have any either). If you have a REAL one, you can send to Year One and they can have it rebuilt for you.

Otherwise, to track one down, there are really two options that would pan out.

One is to call Ted Stephens at 256-247-1332 of Performance Mopars (in Georgia, I believe); the other is to contact Wildcat http://www.wildcatmopars.com/

I live within three hours of Wildcat. They are not cheap, but they are helpful and they usually have what you need.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[quote=Morrigan_Aria;36589]
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/f.../photo_03.html
quote]

that is the correct shifter
Old 01-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by Morrigan_Aria
there is a lot wrong on that car if you were to get technical
Old 01-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Hell kitten

[quote=67 GTX;36601]
Originally Posted by Morrigan_Aria
cool here on the black interior car. thanks!

Originally Posted by 67 GTX
there is a lot wrong on that car if you were to get technical
In regards to the buffed silver car, I haven't had a chance to review in depth at all, but I do enjoy ogling it nontheless. it's a looker, gotta give it that.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Mopar Lover

I called Summit's tech line and told them that their website pointed me to a new process 422 shifter that did not look anything like what came out. He did some checking and found that the website was wrong and that I should use a 3916789 which does look more like my old one. I ordered that one and had it sent to my buddy's address. I have a new shifter that someone else ordered for me that was supposed to be correct, but after comparing it to the A 833, it was obvious it would not fit. According to the numbers on it, it is a Hurst for Chevy, Buick, Olds, etc....looks like I will ebay or craigslist it.

Morrigan, thanks for all your help, I appreciate it. I have used Wildcat before, they are about 2 hours from me, but I just have them ship. That is cheaper than gas for the round trip. The next thing I can't find is my power steering pump and brackets. Never again. Next time I'll just save up and go buy a finished car. This old Belvedere bitch is not going to get the best of me, although she is fighting me all the way to the finish line. I will certainly let you know what is left when I get done.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Mopar Lover

[/quote]In regards to the buffed silver car, I haven't had a chance to review in depth at all, but I do enjoy ogling it nontheless. it's a looker, gotta give it that.[/quote]

true
Old 01-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel that the shifter in the pic(of the Galen Govier car) IS the correct shifter. It is the same one that a very well known 66-67 collector in florida has in his original 67.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Mopar Lover

i dont think it has the reverse lockout
Old 01-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Mopar Fanatic

All -
I was in the process of cloning a 67 GTX as well and came across this thread. Has anyone discovered the correct shifter or come up with a workable solution?

Also, was looking for a passenger fender for a 67, any thoughts?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:41 PM

Hey I have an orginal shifter. It's an Inland. Their are two that came in the 1967 4speed setup. 1 with a console & bucket seats setup & 2. Bench seat setup with only a boot cover... I attach photo from my parts book. hope its helpful... I have seem a few for sale at Tony'sparts..
Attached Thumbnails Question about a shifter for the A-833-shifter.jpg  
Old 01-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Thanks -

Pops1967GTX -
Thank you - Very nice car BTW:
Old 04-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Mopar Fan

Indland was the only shifter used in 67. Here is the one the is in my brothers car which was purchased new.
Attached Thumbnails Question about a shifter for the A-833-gtx1-3-11.jpg