Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   B-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Tranny rebuild (https://moparforums.com/forums/f10/tranny-rebuild-4966/)

fivepoint 12-23-2009 06:23 PM

Tranny rebuild

I have worked on cars for 30 plus years and spent 6 years working on jet engines in the Air Force but, I have never rebuilt an automatic transmission. I am thinking about rebuilding my 727. I would like to find a good book to walk me through it with specific instructions. Are any special tools required? Anybody have advice. The 727 I have is out of a motor home and would like to change the tail end to fit my B body.

blue 68 gts 12-23-2009 08:32 PM

You'll need the 727 tailshaft that came out of a B-body. The output shafts are different lengths.

With rebuilding the trans, youll need a press, and some sort of cervo spring compressor. And a GOOD RELIABLE set of snap ring pliers. And just some basic tools.

I'll give you a better list of tools when i get home.

theomahamoparguy 12-24-2009 01:19 AM

Yeah, it aint too bad to rebuild one. I've done a couple 904's. I'd say take your time and have a clean area to work in. I didn't have much of either but it worked out ok.
Drain as much fluid out before-hand. I always make a mess no matter how hard I try not too.

scotts74birds 12-24-2009 08:54 AM

Anyone else recommend the kevlar bands as an upgrade over the factory ones? I hear 3x the cost, but worth it. Opinions please?

blue 68 gts 12-24-2009 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by scotts74birds (Post 34980)
Anyone else recommend the kevlar bands as an upgrade over the factory ones? I hear 3x the cost, but worth it. Opinions please?

The factory ones are fine, but I like the kevlar bands.

As far as a list, heres a good set:

Air Compressor
Clutch compressor
Snap ring pliers
torque wrenches
Bushing drivers
Hand wrenches
Ratchet set
Impact
Slide hammers

Also, having a helicoil set, and taps and dyes isnt a bad idea.

BuckNeccid 12-24-2009 02:17 PM

The 727 is about the easiest tranny I've ever rebuilt. Just the instructions in a service manual will be fine to follow.

The only tool I'd add to this is a compressor for the front clutch pack (Unless that's what you meant by clutch compressor Blue). There's a disc inside there that has a rubber o ring seal, and there are springs under that. If you check the service manual, it will tell you the number of springs for different applications, letting you beef it up a little. Try to find a HP governor for the tailshaft, it moves shift ranges around some, and works better too.

fivepoint 12-25-2009 05:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Don't know why I never felt comfortable doing one before. I've always sent them out to get rebuilt before.

hempsteadauto 01-28-2010 08:53 PM

727 is the ez,ist trany there is, just make sure all seal lips face the fuild side and count the clutch plates to make sure you put back the same amount of clutches, its really ez, and theres a break down in almost all older books to help.there almost fool proof.

deadkelly 01-28-2010 11:20 PM

i have a really good book
torqueflight a-727
transmission handbook
by Carl h Munroe
hp books -1399

& as for your question scotty
if it's a street car stay away from the Kevlar bands . red bands are what has been recommended to me . Kevlar is to abrasive for high mileage applications apparently .... http://tcsproducts.com/