1972 Monaco Burnout

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1972 Monaco Burnout

Hey, All!

Last winter, a buddy of mine was looking for a car/project to work on for his daily driver. He searched the local Craigs Lists, eBay, etc to find something that tripped his trigger. Being a Mopar nut myself, and having helped on my 66 Coronet project-in-works, he looked for old Mopars. He found a 1972 Monaco reasonably close to us...in a farmers field (not joking) and purchased the car. It had a 400 big block and lots of potential. The seller wanted to sell it to someone who "would not turn it into a derby car".

We picked up the car after a snow storm...driving the back roads of mid-Missouri in snow-covered conditions and mud packed gravel roads. It was a miracle we made it out of the backwoods towing a trailer with this car travelling those spongy roads.

I've attached a photo of the car as it was purchased.

Anyway, we started working on the car to get it to run. Over a months time , we rebuilt the gas tank and all the fuel lines...replaced the plugs and wires...and got the stock 400 (2 barrel card and stock manifolds) to run. It was a good day.

That wasn't good enough, so we tore the motor down to the long block. Had the heads rebuilt with new seals and seats, new Edelbrock cam + 4 bbl intake, new Edelbrock 4 bbl carb (who else remembers rebuilding these as "Carter" carbs?), lifters, push rods, timing chain and a set of Headman headers. The day came when we fired up the motor. Once we figured out one small electrical issue, the motor fired up and sounded GOOD! Hopefully the following video link to YouTube will work:

http://www.youtube.com/user/hurmit4l.../0/xlpjQabBSso

Since that time, we've done a bit more body work...pulling that massive dent from the drivers door and remnoving some cancer from the rear quarters.

It's been a fun car to work on, but my buddy has decided to sell the body. He wants to put that 400 motor and tranny in an old Dodge 4WD truck. If anyone is interested in the rolling chassis, or has a 4WD Dodge truck for trade, please let me know. The car is mostly complete (aside from the motor and trans) but still needs work. The interior is all there, as is the drive shaft and 8 3/4 rear end. One thing that has turned him off about this car is the inability to find the headlight door motors.
Attached Thumbnails 1972 Monaco Burnout-monaco.jpg  

Last edited by hurmit4life; 12-26-2010 at 01:57 PM.