Hi! New New Yorker Member here

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi! New New Yorker Member here

Hello folks! Just saying hi and that I don't know how I passed up this forum when searching the internet for information and parts for my 1976 2-Door Chrysler New Yorker Brougham project. I've had the car since high school, dare I say some 14 years ago! I spent plenty of money on it to lower it, raise it, chrome it, swap body panels on it (I still have all the originals though) and then take it apart. For whatever reason, about a month ago I towed it out of the mud and fell in love with it again, so now I'm on a mission to make over the car.

I'm not too concerned with the numbers matching, as this will hopefully become a daily driver or at least a weekend cruiser. Right now I'm starting from square one, but that's okay, I got the time and the passion again.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Mopar Fan

A pic of the beast far from it's glory days
Attached Thumbnails Hi!  New New Yorker Member here-dsc03432.jpg  
Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Mopar Lover

nice car....its gonna be really cool! what part of new york are you from?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Mopar Lover

oh wait. you meant Chrysler New Yorker hahahah.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 118 Likes on 116 Posts
Nice ride! what mill does it have in it? 360? keep us updated on the progress!

oh, and welcome to the site!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:57 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

Originally Posted by Skwerly
Nice ride! what mill does it have in it? 360? keep us updated on the progress!

oh, and welcome to the site!
[

im guessing by looking at his screen name 76 (1976) NY (new yorker) 440 nTX (north texas?)
im guessing its got a 440
Old 07-21-2010, 12:05 AM
Mopar Lover

LOL! the obvious escaped me. sigh. very cool car!
Old 07-21-2010, 02:30 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Welcome!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Old 07-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
welcome to the forum
Old 07-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
Welcome to the forum.... Don't you just love it when you make people think about your name !!!!! When they finally "get it" they get that "OH YEH " look on their face..... Priceless!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Mopar Fan

Thanks folks. Well, it's funny, I actually lived in Upstate NY for many years, the Lake Champlain Valley area. As for Texas, I live in Houston. The car has the original 440 in it.

It's been on a to do list for sometime to work on it and restore it. For some odd reason it's just started to come together this summer. I picked up another 440 and 727 transmission for a few C-notes and got to tinkering it again. Found a few folks parting out other NY's and was able to come into some of the hard to find and replace electrical parts (i.e. power window switches). So I have alot of these parts in my apartment and in the process of moving discovered how much I have been able to pick up. Figure nows just a good a time as any to start working on it. So here it goes!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ask away with any questions
Old 12-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Mopar Fan

**Update** Well winter hit us here on the Gulf Coast and Central TX (hahaha). The engine has been at the machine shop now for a couple of months, I found one that would let me make payments on it while I continued on with other projects on the car. The shop found a cracked head and a twisted piston rod, but I was fortunate the block was still in tact. I should be getting back the engine in January. It's basically a stock set up with a Crane Cam 1-over stock. I'm going to stick with the original factory intake manifold and carb for it. Here's where I'm at right now:

Engine: Machining is done and short block is put together. I've got some of the original parts from the engine getting tanked and cleaned still (i.e. water pump housing and intake manifold). 2 more payments and everything is back in my work shop.

Transmission: I'm looking around for a shop to rebuild the original 727. I was going to use one of the more well known shops here in Houston, but read some reviews the last several months I got anything but the warm and fuzzy about having them do work on it. There are two in San Antonio that I remember using in HS and will probably go back to them. If anyone knows of a good shop in SA or Houston, hit me up!

Front Suspension: A Firm Feel suspension kit is on order. It was a toss up with FFS and P-S-T and, even though the Firm Feel kit was more, I think I'll be happy with the parts and purchase after talking with the techs there.

Brakes: With the car sitting so long, and the engine and tranny out, I'm taking the opportunity to rebuild the brakes. New bearings, disks, pads, calipers, and hoses are slated for the front, and new shoes, drums, and hoses look to be the case for the back. I thought about converting the back to discs at this time, but realized I don't have the budget for it or enough information on the conversion right now.

NICE TO DO's.
Gas tank and fuel system: With the car up right now, I've been thinking about dropping the gas tank and cleaning it up some. It's got some rust on the bottom of it from sitting in the grass, and I wanted to get that bead blasted off and either paint or rubberize it. I was also going to blow out the fuel lines with some compressed air. I've just been toying with this idea because I'm concerned about getting the tank back up after taking it down. Oh well, we'll see. More to come next month!
Old 12-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by 76NY440_nTX
**Update** Well winter hit us here on the Gulf Coast and Central TX (hahaha). The engine has been at the machine shop now for a couple of months, I found one that would let me make payments on it while I continued on with other projects on the car. The shop found a cracked head and a twisted piston rod, but I was fortunate the block was still in tact. I should be getting back the engine in January. It's basically a stock set up with a Crane Cam 1-over stock. I'm going to stick with the original factory intake manifold and carb for it. Here's where I'm at right now:

Engine: Machining is done and short block is put together. I've got some of the original parts from the engine getting tanked and cleaned still (i.e. water pump housing and intake manifold). 2 more payments and everything is back in my work shop.

Transmission: I'm looking around for a shop to rebuild the original 727. I was going to use one of the more well known shops here in Houston, but read some reviews the last several months I got anything but the warm and fuzzy about having them do work on it. There are two in San Antonio that I remember using in HS and will probably go back to them. If anyone knows of a good shop in SA or Houston, hit me up!

Front Suspension: A Firm Feel suspension kit is on order. It was a toss up with FFS and P-S-T and, even though the Firm Feel kit was more, I think I'll be happy with the parts and purchase after talking with the techs there.

Brakes: With the car sitting so long, and the engine and tranny out, I'm taking the opportunity to rebuild the brakes. New bearings, disks, pads, calipers, and hoses are slated for the front, and new shoes, drums, and hoses look to be the case for the back. I thought about converting the back to discs at this time, but realized I don't have the budget for it or enough information on the conversion right now.

NICE TO DO's.
Gas tank and fuel system: With the car up right now, I've been thinking about dropping the gas tank and cleaning it up some. It's got some rust on the bottom of it from sitting in the grass, and I wanted to get that bead blasted off and either paint or rubberize it. I was also going to blow out the fuel lines with some compressed air. I've just been toying with this idea because I'm concerned about getting the tank back up after taking it down. Oh well, we'll see. More to come next month!
If your in Houston take your tranny to Circle D Transmissions on Hempstead Highway or Trans-King..they are in the Liberty Texas area...usually 1200 bucks for a go through and replacement parts including a shift kit..new clutches and a bolt in roller sprag unit...Circle D or Tran-King can both do tourque convertors also...hope this helps you...Eric
Old 12-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Mopar Lover

Sounds like you have a good plan, 76!
Old 02-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Mopar Fan

bremereric thanks for the tips. I'll give them a call and see what they can do for me.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:02 AM

Nice too see you found a 2 door NY'er, for that yr. they are pretty rare up here so I've settled for a 4 door. I'm starting work on mine in hopes I'll find a 2 door for the right price, and just transfer everything over.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:45 AM

Hi guys N.Y C. Queens Here

72 dodge charger rallye

Electrical issue
Drive car. Fine shut off an hour car dead.
New batery, alternator. Starter good. car grounded
Any ideas