Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   C-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Thanks Son but what did you do 1998 Cirrus wont start after son disconnected + cable (https://moparforums.com/forums/f11/thanks-son-but-what-did-you-do-1998-cirrus-wont-start-after-son-disconnected-cable-8994/)

davidegruber@comcast.net 03-16-2011 12:53 PM

Thanks Son but what did you do 1998 Cirrus wont start after son disconnected + cable

I bought my son a 1998 Chrysler Cirrus. He recently disconnect the positive cables from the post. He then put on the new electrical cables for stero amps, then placed all the cables on positive post. Now when I turn the key it doesnt fire at all..... Starter doesnt even turn over. Everything else works lights (inside and out) it just wont fire when I turn the key in which it did before he took the cables off.

Is there an order as to how the cables are to go on the post? I didnt think so but now Im lost as I was not there when he did the work and not sure whaterver else he might of done... I just know it wont fire at all. any solutions?

thanks and god bless

blue 68 gts 03-16-2011 01:57 PM

He disconnected positive and not negative..?

Make sure the cables are connected in the correct area. It almost sounds like the battery is DEAD.

You can run everything straight off the positive post as long as it's all grounded out and has an inline fuse

So my suggestion...:

Put a battery charger on deep cycle over night and see what it is. Or swap in a good known battery and test.

Then go from there if needed.

MercuryDon 03-16-2011 03:09 PM

Check the breakers and fuses if charging the Batt. doesn't work.

burnoutking-1 03-17-2011 07:40 AM

Check the positive to make sure it's tight.

78D200 03-17-2011 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by burnoutking-1 (Post 65349)
Check the positive to make sure it's tight.

After this, put a volt meter ont eh battery and see what the battery is reading for voltage. When just sitting and not running, a good batter will put out ~12.6 volts (2.1 volts per cell in the battery - There are 6 cells).

Depending on how much voltage you have, the car may not start or even turn over.

440roadrunner 03-17-2011 09:50 AM

THE QUICK EASY TEST

Turn on headlights (You said they work, right?)

Now try starter, don't forget to close all doors, batten all hatches, fasten belts, wiggle the shifter or push in the clutch

If the headlights stay on, you have "a problem."

If the headlights go out, you have a main battery cable connector problem, corrosion in the connector, etc.

rexus31 03-18-2011 07:54 AM

Is a '98 Cirrus a C-body? Just trying to figure out the connection between the original poster's issue and C-bodies.

scotts74birds 03-18-2011 06:39 PM

Well.....Cirrus starts with a "C", so DUH! Therefore its a "C" body!!! All kidding aside Dave, if you havent figured it out by now, let me know. I have schematics, I've had a few of those cars, AND I worked at the factory. Start by putting the car back to original, and we'll go from there.