Barn Fresh 1970 V Code Challenger...anyone wanna school me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Barn Fresh 1970 V Code Challenger...anyone wanna school me?

Just picked this 1970 V Code Challenger up from original owner who is a family friend so I know the history. Seriously Barn Fresh. Can anyone tell me more? Im a newbie here. Check my album for pics. Its been parked on concrete since 1974, has under 35k miles but has unusual rust & did have possums living in it. Some areas, like the K frame look new still, but other ares are rotted beyond repair like roof pillars & floors. Triple Black, automatic, disc brakes, power windows. It was a special car purchased from Grand Spaulding dodge & was ordered from the dealer with what the P/O said was Mr Norms special. Dealer installed Heads, Headers, Cam, Oil Pan & Trans kit. ...Id really like to know more & how special the car really is. Does the dealer installed Mods help or hurt the value? Also where should I look for a build sheet? Is this a car worthy of dumping in big bucks to send off to a quality auto auction? I honestly have no intent to fix this for myself, I have a Model A Id rather Rat around in. Any info or opinions would be great!

Last edited by unclemikeys...tripleblack; 09-26-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah...it's not worth much. You should just sent it to me. My address is....

oh...that isn't what you were talking about...

From the sound of it, it is a very special car, and would probably be worth every penny it takes to save it. That is COMPLETELY my opinion of course...

j
Old 09-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
You sure have 1 rare car on your hands...

I don't numbers, but pulling a 6 pak R/T Challenger that has 35k original miles on doesn't happen every day. The fact its rusted will make the price drop if you were to sell it.

But some one would buy that thing in a heart beat
Old 09-26-2010, 11:31 AM

Please look at my album with pics of the car including the Fender tag...its rusty but readable. ...Id love to find the build sheet. Should I start looking in the drivers or passenger seat?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by unclemikeys...tripleblack
Please look at my album with pics of the car including the Fender tag...its rusty but readable. ...Id love to find the build sheet. Should I start looking in the drivers or passenger seat?

It should be in the springs underneath the bottom back seat
Old 09-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It's really not worth a dime.. but I do need some new yard art so I could take it off your hands for you. lol jk

That really sounds like a special car, I wasn't even aware that any of them came with power windows, this is the first I have heard of it. Honestly couldnt tell you how much it is worth, its not everyday you see a 6 pack car with less than 35k original miles and all matching. I know you can't really compare them... but I saw a 70 hemi charger once on ebay that had less than 25k miles on it and it was a plum crazy car, they bid up to over $200,000 on it and the guy that owned it didnt let it sell. And most generally hemi cars go for quite a bit but usually they stick around 80,000 to a hundred. So I would say yours would be worth between 60k and 100k... of course I could be way off, and its not going to cost you anywhere near that to restore it. I am pretty close to being done with my 40 ford pickup and where I stand at the moment I have right at $11,000 into it. Of course mopar parts cost a bit more, and that car is going to have quite a bit more to it than a 40. Hope this helps you, and congrats on the find... I can honestly say I envy you. lol Oh by the way my build sheet was in the springs of the TOP of my back seat. So definately start with your backseat, its really easy to take out and check... I mean before you go tearing your front seats apart. have a good one
Old 09-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Mopar Fanatic

If it were mine I would do one of two things.

1. Not touch a thing on it and sell it to someone who restores cars professionally, I think you would make a bundle on it just the way it sets.

2. Fix it up and restore it for myself with the idea of never making a penny off from it.

IMHO you would make more money just the way it is than if you were to put a bunch of money into it and then try to get your money back with a profit.

Joe.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Administrator with a large ban hammer !

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
The first place to start your history lesson would be here
Old 09-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Barfly
If it were mine I would do one of two things.

1. Not touch a thing on it and sell it to someone who restores cars professionally, I think you would make a bundle on it just the way it sets.

2. Fix it up and restore it for myself with the idea of never making a penny off from it.

IMHO you would make more money just the way it is than if you were to put a bunch of money into it and then try to get your money back with a profit.

Joe.

Joe has some pretty good points here and to do this car correctly.... It's not going to come cheap!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:12 PM

I agree 100% with Barfly if you dont plan on keeping it for yourself dont touch it and put it up for sale.

its more valuable as it sits than it would be with anything less than a 100 point restoration.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:24 AM

Thanks for all the tips & opinions. ....Dont worry guys Im not planning to touch anything other than dirt on the car. If I had it my way I would rebuild the drivetrain & drive it all rusty & ugly but the car would probally twist apart. I agree 100% completly that its either a 100 point resto or nothing. Im just trying to figure out if I should take out a 2nd mortgage to do it, or just sell it now. Honestly Im looking to make as much as possible from this car & if it takes 2 years & 50K but I can sell for 80-100k then I may have it done right..In the meantime Im just trying to learn as much as possible about exactly what I have here. Does anyone know the specs on what Mr Norm might have done as dealer upgrades?....The original owner isnt the best of help. He seems to not remember all the details very well & still hasnt been able to come up with documents from Mr Norms he claims to have, including timeslips that he hit into the 11s from back in the day.

Last edited by unclemikeys...tripleblack; 09-30-2010 at 05:03 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Mopar Lover

I wouldn't touch a thing until you speak to a pro. I wouldn't even wash it.

Galen Govier comes to mind. In this particular case it would be worth the fee to get him to look at the car. http://www.gvgovier.com/
Old 09-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
talk to a pro like polardude said a car like that needs to be restored 110%. If you restore it get it on the cover of a few magazines make sure to document and get everything you can on that car. Then sell it youll make some $$$ and if you dont want to do it your self then sell it like you said I do know a couple of buyers that would be interested. it looks like a easy restoration but then again cant tell much from a pic.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Polaradude
Exactly..
Old 09-28-2010, 08:17 AM
Mopar Fan

Well im really happy that you found the a car like that...but i drive around every day (because of my job requires it) and i look for thinks like that all the time. I find cars but nothing of that scale. Most of them are just bottom of the line junkers. Well i say junkers no muscle car is a junker. But anyway im 25 and have always dreamed of finding that Materpiece or great Barn Find and have yet to run across anything like that guess im just unlucky.. Great find!!! And take out a second mortgage or sell it to someone that will restore it back to its original condition it needs to be saved!!
Old 09-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Well If you decide against restoring and not keeping it and just selling it like it is. I would be an interested buyer, I have a pretty good amount of money coming to me here within the next couple months. I was leaning towards a 70 super bee but its just not everyday you come across something like that! lol
Old 09-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by Polaradude

Galen Govier comes to mind. In this particular case it would be worth the fee to get him to look at the car. http://www.gvgovier.com/

Yea... i don't really care too much for Galen. My dad tried contacting him to get some info on an old barracuda convertible we had and he wasn't the nicest guy.

But hes got access to all sorts of information..

Now also, that car didnt get into the 11s unless it was 1/8th mile. 11s in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and even today is a feat with a 440 six pak in a challenger.. IMO
Old 09-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Mopar Fan

yea its not real easy but a bone stock chevelle ran 13's in the 1/4
Old 09-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by Aron
yea its not real easy but a bone stock chevelle ran 13's in the 1/4
And my dad's 340 GTS in high school ran low 14's on skinny 14" bias ply tires.

13s in the 1/4, and 11s in the 1/4 is a BIG difference. When I ran 13.80s, i was doing average of 98 mph. Running 11.80s and I average 112 mph.

It takes alot to pick up just 2 seconds.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:54 AM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by blue 68 gts
Yea... i don't really care too much for Galen. My dad tried contacting him to get some info on an old barracuda convertible we had and he wasn't the nicest guy.

But hes got access to all sorts of information..

Now also, that car didnt get into the 11s unless it was 1/8th mile. 11s in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and even today is a feat with a 440 six pak in a challenger.. IMO
Nobody cares about your personal opinion on the man. He actually knows Mopars inside and out. Mopar fans are lucky to have him. He charges for his services and that's fair. He has put years into collecting the data and knows what he's talking about.
And while I am at it...stop thread jacking. This is about trying to help the guy with the Chally not how quick some POS Cheby is.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:54 AM

Galen does have a bit of a reputation for being "difficult", and whether or not his options #'s list is 100% accurate is a matter of opinion, but he knows his stuff and is without a doubt the best person to contact about this project. once it is verified by his its value will increase. Then i would probably contact Mr Norm himself, with all the high impact cars rolling out of gsd in '70 i wouldn't be surprised if he remembers a high option triple black six pack challenger rolling through his show room.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:58 AM

UPDATE

UPDATE: Hello all & thanks again. Ive been in contact with somone at Galens service & am currently working with them to figure more things out to see if a personal visit for inspection & appraisal is worth the price. He is quite expensive but I have a feeling worth every penny. 1st is to read the options on the Fender tag is my current project. The Fender tag is so badly rusted its very tough to read. The 1st 3 lines are almost invisible from the top so I was instructed to remove it & read from the backside (then store it in a safe hiding place) which is also a challenge but its starting to show itself. I think another year or 2 outside & the tag would be totally gone to rust. Its starting to show some serious options like H-D 727, 4.10 w sure grip, R35 radio option, racing mirrors & other real goodies. I searched for the build sheet & think I found shreds of whats left in the form of a mouse nest under the back seat so thats not going to be any help at all. ...From what it appears its a Dealer Modified car with possibly Norms Performance Plus or Grand Spaulding Special package added. Either way it has a unique street package & was built to race. Im told high 11s is completly possible with a car like this from the showroom floor (with different tires). ....I should know more later once I get more rust off the tag, its all readable from the back, or I should say will be eventually after I get the crust off today. If the tag shows itself completly then Galen can make me a new one no problem, but thats the important part being able to read & authenticate the options....Cant wait to find out more. ....If anyone can think of some important ??? for me to ask Galen then please fire off as I make a list. Its $100 per 1/2hr of phone consultation so I want to be sure to ask good questions.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:18 AM
Mopar Fan

1st off im not thread jacking...i know what its about i was just simply saying.. 2nd off i know its hard to get in the 11 i grew up around racing. But it is very possible that it got into the high 11's. Dont try to knock people down when they post a reply about something. That is one thing that really ticks me off... everyone always knows more than the other person.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:50 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it is possible there may be another build sheet in the car some place
Old 09-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by Aron
1st off im not thread jacking...i know what its about i was just simply saying.. 2nd off i know its hard to get in the 11 i grew up around racing. But it is very possible that it got into the high 11's. Dont try to knock people down when they post a reply about something. That is one thing that really ticks me off... everyone always knows more than the other person.
I am not knocking anyone. It's about forum etiquette. The thread is about the Chally not drag racing. As one of the Moderators here it's our job to keep things orderly. Sorry if you're ticked off but it's just the way it is.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:35 AM

Your off to a good start. i would try contacting Mr. Norm. he is still around and so is alot of the paperwork from his cars.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I looked on nada values for classics it says for a 440 six pack challenger r/t special edition, low condition, 50,000$ don't quote me i would still get a professional apprisal that is just a ball park figure don't depend on it it could go both ways.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by lou3500
I looked on nada values for classics it says for a 440 six pack challenger r/t special edition, low condition, 50,000$ don't quote me i would still get a professional apprisal that is just a ball park figure don't depend on it it could go both ways.
This is not a Special Edition as in SE with the small rear window. Its got the large rear window. I mean special edition because it was modified by the dealer with speed upgrades before it left the lot. ...Still trying to find out more & have yet to actually speak to Galen personally. I did speak to the P/O again & he still cant find any paperwork, although I dont think he is trying.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:14 AM
Mopar Lover

I'd contact Mr Norm also. Can't hurt.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:16 AM

Ive been getting people just showing up at my house when Im not home, helping themselves, popping the hood & going in the car & such. The car sits far away from the road in my private driveway & you can barely see it yet Ive had half a dozen people prowling around this week alone. Mostly when Im not home & my wife sees them, she goes outside & they either ask to buy the car or just leave before she can talk to them, while leaving the hood half open. One guy came up when I was home & said "Ill give you 5k for that old rusty car." I said "its not for sale & please dont come on my property without permission" kinda rudely & started to walk back inside. Real quik he came back & said "would 12k make you move on the car?" ..Obviously this guy had been here before, read the vin & knew what he was looking at. I said again "its not for sale" & he left. ....I need to get the car out of sight asap. ....I think next time I see someone with my hood open Im going to go outside & instead of walking to them, Ill just go straight to their car & get inside, pop the hood & then see how they feel!

Last edited by unclemikeys...tripleblack; 10-04-2010 at 05:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Barn Fresh 1970 V Code Challenger...anyone wanna school me?