Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   E-Body (https://moparforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Fuel Related Problems?? (https://moparforums.com/forums/f12/fuel-related-problems-1391/)

xodysseusx 08-18-2008 10:44 AM

Fuel Related Problems??

I have a 72 Barracuda with a 440 engine from a 76 plymouth gran fury II. The car sat over the winter and when I tried to start her the carb just started shooting gas everywhere. Anyways I replace the carb, fuel pump, fuel filter, and drained the tank completely. I put some more gas in the tank and primed the carb and the car ran, for a while. As long as the car was idling it would be fine, you take it on the road and then it starts feeling like she is choking out and dies. You cannot restart it right away but after about 30 minutes she starts but will not stay running, if you choke it it does run but not that great let off the choke and it dies. I have an edelbrock 650 cfm (4106) I believe. I think I may still have a fuel pump problem just not sure. I do not have a fuel pressure gauge nor do I know how to hook one up if I did. New plugs and wires, timing is dead on. Any help.

richinny 08-18-2008 02:18 PM

you might have a bad float or needle valve.

challenger 08-21-2008 09:37 PM

Hey xody the 1406 is a 600 cfm Square-Flange ec/non egr carb so make sure the intake you have is for that carb as in single plane vs dual plane and i would turn the idle mixture screws in all the way (easily) and back off turn and a half then start and hopefully it will run and turn one screw out slowly till the idle increases then stop and do the same with the second one ( in no order ) you might have to adjust the idle screw for proper rpm after your done but try that first as edelbroks usually comes right out of the box ready with just a turn or so :D..... you might have to change the metering rods to a smaller diam: to get more fuel flow as the 600 might just be a bit small for the 440... the stock MR are .075 x .047// change to .070 x .042 if you need to

Doc 08-22-2008 12:06 AM

IMO ..step 1 ... buy a fuel pressure gauge and check it. You might also have trash in the carb.

xodysseusx 09-23-2008 03:56 PM

Do you think I should just change to a bigger carb and that would solve the problems. The carb is new and I have had the tank refurbished and I don't see any trash in the fuel line. Which carb is recommended for max performance?

Commando 09-23-2008 05:37 PM

Edelbrock recommends that carb (14064 is what I am putting on mine) for that engine, as I am putting their performance series on my 440, I would adjust the carb if need be, maybe jet it.

I assume you have a manual choke, from the way you say it, if it idles and you push the choke in does it die?

You may have a vacuum leak, are all the vacuum lines hooked back up? Sounds similar to the problem I just solved.

xodysseusx 09-25-2008 06:48 PM

It is an automatic choke. I hooked the carb up exactly as before. There are only two hoses, one to the fuel pump and one to the pcv valve. Am I missing something here??

67 GTX 09-25-2008 07:22 PM

what about the vacuum advance connected to the distributor?

xodysseusx 09-26-2008 04:47 AM

I have an electronic ignition, Mallory UniLite distributor, no vacuum advance connected.

Red Devil 09-26-2008 07:44 PM

I have a buddy who had the same problem on his truck and it turned out to just be a vacuum line. But I would deffinetly try adjusting the carb like challenger reccomended, It can't hurt.

Commando 09-26-2008 08:17 PM

When you shake the pcv valve does it sound like a spray can, meaning is it clean and unclogged?

I assume you have a "Christmas tree" as I have heard it called by mechanics, the thing in the intake that feeds the power brake booster, and whatever else that hooks to.

xodysseusx 09-30-2008 09:34 AM

I found a leak in the power brake booster and we replaced the booster and hooked it back up and it runs much better, still though I think I may have a leak in the intake manifold as I can see bubbles blowing out just a little.