Full restoration of 1970 barracuda (rotisserie process?)

Old 09-29-2016, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Full restoration of 1970 barracuda (rotisserie process?)

Hi so I'm new to mopars and just turned 21 so my knowledge when it comes to these cars is not the greatest and my dad is more of a chevy guy. Well after saving for years and searching I finally got my hands on a barracuda. It is gonna be a lot of work but Ima put the time into it. As far as restoring goes I am unsure of how to do a full restoration. I know for chevy my dad had the car completely disassembled and then had everything sandblasted and powder coated. But for mopars I know the frame is welded onto the body from what I heard at least. So I heard a rotisserie restoration is the way to go but what exactly does that consist of? From searching online seems like that's only painting the car all around and under. Are these sandblasted and powder coated then painted with a rotisserie? Or how would one go about fully restoring one of these? I want to learn as much as possible and restore this car right. The way it should be
Old 09-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
Wow big question, strip the car and put it on the rotisserie then replace all the rust and straighten all the metal. It's a big job some time's.

After you you do this you have a solid foundation to build from.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Iowan
Wow big question, strip the car and put it on the rotisserie then replace all the rust and straighten all the metal. It's a big job some time's.

After you you do this you have a solid foundation to build from.
So just strip the car then fix rust? I don't get it sand or media blasted? And no powder coating? Or do I media blast/ sand blast and then powder coat then paint all around?
Old 09-29-2016, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
Sorry media blast after strip, no powder cote! Cover with epoxy.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Iowan
Sorry media blast after strip, no powder cote! Cover with epoxy.
Best media to use for blasting?
Old 09-29-2016, 07:20 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Wow.... That a tall order... Talk about grabbing the bull by the horns !!!!
Its awesome that your ambition is there, but the tools and resources are going to be the big hurtle I think.. Space, Toolage, And funding for parts and tools, These are some of the challenges that take place. But then again we dont know what resources you have.
If I may get a little ahead of the Thread.... Sometimes it's easier to find a good restoration shop near you. You might be able to cut a deal with them to let you help and join in on the work it's self to learn and do the grunt work to save a few bucks on the labor. But you have to have a time line and the funding to move the project along.
I'm not trying to dampen your thought or be offensive.. Just trying to get an understanding. Lots of folks start with good intentions but quickly get in way over there heads on these....

Love a good restoration of an E-Body. And I hope your up for the overhaul !!
Would love you to keep us posted and pictures of the full deal... Will help as much as we can.... Mopar on Man

Just my 2 cents....

Oh... And Welcome to the site...