Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   94-Current Dodge Trucks (https://moparforums.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   '94 318 to '98 360.... (https://moparforums.com/forums/f18/94-318-98-360-a-2497/)

Hotwheelz 03-09-2009 07:53 PM

'94 318 to '98 360....

I know I'm not the first to do this, so I need some help please. The truck is a 1994 Ram originally a 318, going to a 1998 360 from a 1 ton van. There are a few sensors I've found that are a little moved around, not a big deal. I have the ecm for the 360, will it plug into the harness from the 318? I'm needing to know, if it will plug in, are all the pin-outs the same? I'm using the trans from the 318, how long it'll last, who knows. Everything else seems to be going pretty smooth. Anything I'm missing? Any and all help would be really appreciated.

78D200 03-10-2009 03:27 AM

Both motors are magnums so the ECM's pinout should be the same. The tranny is a hydralic shifting 46RH so it should be good with the stock 360. everything is the same between the motors so everything should just bolt right up.

You've got a pretty easy swap going right there.

Hotwheelz 03-12-2009 07:06 PM

i'm 90% finished with the swap. i dropped the new engine in last night and today put the transfercase back together with the transmission, hooked all the linkage and trans cooler lines. the only problem left to tackle is the fact that the truck is OBDI and the new engine and pcm is OBDII. I don't know why I didn't even think about that till yesterday. the new pcm and old wiring harness aren't even close to the same. I've got the wiring harness for the new 360, so i'm not too worried about that. A friend mentioned that he thinks the speedometer aren't wired differently for the 94 and the 98. anybody have any iput on this?
I plan to rebuild the 46RE and either convert it to a 4wd trans for my dad's truck or just make it a street/strip trans and sell it.

78D200 03-13-2009 02:08 AM

I completely forgot about the OBD. As long as you have the wiring harness though, you should be good. if not then you may need to rewire the connectors and you will need a pinout to get it right.

Hotwheelz 03-14-2009 11:33 PM

got the 94 pin out, got the 98 pinout. HUGE PAIN. i decided, the easiest way to go about it is to get a pre OBDII pcm. that way it's a much easier install and as a huge bonus, the truck retains the diagnostic port. honestly i don't know where i'd begin switching the whole truck to obdII. thanks for your help btw man. i guess this isn't a big time hoppin forum, for the dodge truck part at least huh? i joined to get a little help with this swap. i'm a member of fullsizechevy.com. i've only had chevy's for trucks, the new rams are killer though. too bad both chevy and dodge has their new interior looking like it's made of legos.

78D200 03-15-2009 04:29 AM

No problem. Amytime you have a question post it up. Trucks are not that big at this forum but there are a few guys here that know something about them. Have you tried Ramcharger,com (i think that's that it is). They deal with a lot more trucks in a day than we do in a year.

Hotwheelz 03-15-2009 11:52 AM

right on, i'll check it out. thanks man