People That Won't Sell Unfinished/Never Started Cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry People That Won't Sell Unfinished/Never Started Cars

This is a small frustration that I have come across lately since I started getting into the hobby and just wish people would sell their cars. I know it seems unfair to judge when I say that said people will never even take a second glance at their car until you offer to buy it and then they say "Oh, well I will get around to one day." Then I go home empty handed knowing that car will just sit there day in and day out, just waiting to get worked on, but it won't. Latest case I have dealt with was a guy just up the road from my uncle's who owns a pretty solid 2nd gen charger, wanna say 68??? My uncle has offered the guy good money on more than one occasion just to get the same reply, "I'm gonna fix it up." It's just been sitting there under a tarp for at least 15 yrs, never have I seen it uncovered or anyone working on it. It's just disappointing and as said before frustrating to see such an nice car with great potential be wasting away under a tarp. How often does this occur to you guys, because it seems like a common thing in my area (rural)? Rant over
Old 05-11-2014, 03:39 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
Yeah, all the time. These poor cars are victims of wishful thinking. The worst is when the car disappears, did the guy sell it or junk it?
Old 05-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
You can hate, rant, get upset, worry, fret, and stew all you want. In the end, the car, or any other property belongs to THEM. They paid for it (most of the time) and I guess if they want to let it sit there and rot into the earth, that's their business.

What is far worse, in my mind, is these careless idiots who constantly come up with an otherwise nice straight car or body which has no title. Even any junker I had, IF POSSIBLE got properly titled so that I could sell it with a clear consience
Old 05-11-2014, 04:42 PM
Administrator with a large ban hammer !

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
I have to agree with 440, it's their car to do with as they please. My car has been sitting in my garage untouched for about 5 years while I slowly acquire the necessary parts to get it back together, sometimes life gets in the way and the car has to take a back seat, but I will get it done some day.I tried to buy a '68 Satellite that i assumed was nothing more that a parts car until i learned that the caretakers son owned the car and he has been MIA in Vietnam since '71, and they were hoping thay he would still return. Sad story. My point is that you don't know the circumstances of people so if they say no, let it go and move on the the next one
Old 05-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
You can keep a vehicle for any reason you choose, I certainly wouldn't want anyone judging the path I've chosen for my cars. It's just sad to see them go to waste, that's all.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:38 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
If I had a car stashed in storage ? I wouldn't sell it either !!!! I guessing they did NOT have a for sale sign on it.. Some things just can not be replaced !!!!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Ohhhhhh... Ya.....
This is what we call the 'Around-Too-It" You know... I'm going to get around too it one of these days.

I think the hunt is a fun one.... I have my eye one 2 1970 Dodge Challengers that the guys will not sale.. "Ya rite" And a couple of 1964/1965 Mustang's and a 1967 & 1970 Chevelle and a 1972 Duster, that are just sitting, waiting for to get my hands on them... And I still have to much to do... I have my 1977 Dodge Warlock witch I drive daily... I have my 1974 Plymouth Scamp that i need to finish, but i drive it on the weekends... I also have, or should I say "My Wife's" 1955 Chevy Belair thats about 98% done. And the wifes daily driver is a 2003 Chevy Tahoe....
So Bottom line is careful what you wish for..You can bite off more than you can chew very fast..lol
Keep up the Hunt, When it is meant to be it will happen....
Good luck... And remember,, Dont crush them, restore them...
Old 05-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
Well this brings up a interesting topic...Where is this car??? Is it in Texas???? There is another post from a guy looking for his 68 charger that was stolen and the guys name... I will look at the post and be back... Maybe that is why he wont sell it and it is covered with a tarp....To be cont.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:35 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
I'm back the Post is:::: looking for Alan Fox by jog44259.... just a thought you could be a hero if this guy gets his car back....Bill
Old 05-13-2014, 03:38 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It is frustrating to the outsider but believe it or not that car probably brings that person a lot of joy just having it in their drive way. most people would get it running at the very least. But some people are incapable of that. You never know a persons situation. There is a guy just a few blocks over that has some really rare cars sitting rusting a way in his yard. He has 2 70 challengers, both R/T Dana cars. Both matching numbers. one is a 340 6 pack car (engine still setting in it) and the other is a 440 6 pack 4 speed car (engine setting in his garage). He also has a 340 6 pack demon setting there. They are all in rough shape but I went and offered a good chunk of change for them. I offered 15k for all 3. He told me he no "gonna start on that challenger next weekend".. (the 440 - 6 car) which had a tree growing through the front about to start splitting the frame. I offered 15k for just the challengers. He still said no. Told me that is a good offer but he just loves the cars too much to part with them. This was about 4 years ago. He hasnt touched any of them. However he did cut the tree down and rescued the challenger before any damage was done from the tree. This particular gentleman isn't poor and he has what it takes to build the cars. He has his own shop. He has a building full of 13 (if I remember right) different old mopars that are completely restored (some extremely rare and valuable). Long story short what a person does with their property is their business. And if they want it to set and rot to nothing thats their choice. Theres nothing anyone can do about it so its not worth getting upset over. Just go and find another car to buy.