New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

1959 chrysler imperial fuse box??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1959 chrysler imperial fuse box??

Hi, im trying to get my Chrysler Imperial running. reasonably good condition but is not running and the previous owner has had the instrument panel off and there are some wires not connected and i think is why the car wont turn over. i have traced a few circuits and replaced the odd wire but i am a bit stuck when it comes to the fuse box as there is not much information in the manual about it?? does anyone own a similar model who can draw me a sketch or take a pic of what it should look like? the top 3 fuses are there then a space then another 5 fuses and then another space with something missing? i have an odd relay dangling near by the fuses and a couple of look wires?? can anyone help?? i have just uploaded a picture of my dodgy fuse box in my album on my profile. any electrical wizzards out there?? cheers, Colin

Last edited by LiverpoolChrysler; 04-07-2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:51 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Welcome!

There are some great people here with electrical exp that will be able to help you out.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:35 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dose she turn over with the key ?
Old 04-07-2013, 04:43 AM

hi, no totally dead. the only electrics that work are the electric seats and lights! there are a couple of important wires not connected and im sure there is something missing from the fuse box, maybe a relay or another fuse??
Old 04-07-2013, 07:29 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Your picture is a bit fuzzy as I can't make anything out. Can you get a better picture with a bit more quality or closer to the fuse box so I can read the thing.

The manual for that car leaves much to be desired so I can understand your concern. The manuals for the 61 chrysler are better. The car is not exactly the same but not too far off either so it makes it easier. Still Id be able to figure it out easily in person. over the internet could be interesting but I'll give it a try.
The following users liked this post:
LiverpoolChrysler (04-07-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
I'll make a try at it, but I have no experience with these old cars. So that we are on the same page(s) let's use the same service manual, download the one over at MyMopar

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

59 Chrysler and Imperial:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/ser...ice_Manual.zip

The wiring diagrams are on about page 39 in my browser, but they show one diagram for models "MY-1" and another for models "MC-1, 2 and 3" so you need to set me straight on that

Your photo is a little washy on color. What color is the wire going to the unknown rectangular relay? The wire appears to be violet, but I cannot justify that with anything in the diagrams except for electric windows and the temp gauge. You have electric windows?

How many terminals on the device? If 2, probably a breaker, if more, relay, etc?

The receptacle if that's what you are describing as "something missing" in the middle of the fuse panel surely must be for the turn signal flasher

So far as the fuse panel, GENERALLY you have two separate busses---

1--Hot all the time, fed from the battery/ ammeter circuit.

2--Accessory, only hot with the key in "acc" position.

In your photo, the section to the right in your hand would appear to be the "hot buss" end of the panel, and the left end would appear to be the "accessory" end

Note that you MUST have the ammeter hooked up or the ammeter wires jumpered together to get any power pretty much anywhere.

Last edited by 440roadrunner; 04-07-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
Welcome to the Forum... Can't help you on your electrical problem... Be sure to check out the Mopar of the Month contest....
Old 04-07-2013, 04:18 PM

hi roadrunner, i have put some clearer photos on. the link to the manual is great, i do have a paper copy but this is much clearer to read! the wire to the unknown relay/breaker is violet but only one wire connecting. the diagrams dont seem to mention the missing flasher unit from the fuse box or the other end of the box where again something seems to be missing or at least connecting wires are missing? i have followed the diagram and tested some wires but the wiring seems slightly different to whats in the manual. one wire which i know isnt attached is from the gas guage, this has been severed at some point and i assume it reaches down to one of the connections in the fuse box although the diagram says it splices in with other wires which i have checked on the car and isnt the case? my model is MY-1. any help is greatly appreciated! col
Old 04-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
I don't know whether I'd call that wire violet or pink?

The very bottom of the panel, with the big fat black, appears to be the power buss going INTO the line of fuses. Again, the panel appears to be divided by the flasher connector. The bottom end would be the switched accessory buss, and the large gauge black would be power coming to that buss from the ignition switch.

So in other words that big black should become hot when the key is in "run" or "accessory."

Then power feeds through each fuse, and is tapped off on the connections lined up at the sides

I'm pretty sure that if you plug a 2 prong flasher into the "L" shaped connections that your signals will get power, or if you just jumper across them, the appropriate front/ rear lights will come on as the TS switch is selected left or right.

So far as that unknown breaker, it occurs to me that because it's a quick connect, that wire MIGHT NOT belong on that breaker.

I would take the approach to first make sure all fuses are good, and that both the hot buss and accessory buss is getting power.

Then install one fuse at a time, make sure the output side has power, and then make sure that the item which is SUPPOSED to be hooked to that fuse is actually what is working.

I admit, those diagrams are somewhat difficult to follow
The following users liked this post:
LiverpoolChrysler (04-08-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 05:40 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 80 Likes on 80 Posts
welcome
Old 04-09-2013, 06:07 AM

Cheers Ricky, Love the GTX, very nice! i'm a bit of a forum virgin, not been on one before but looking around this is the site to be on!! getting lots of help aleady!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 80 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by LiverpoolChrysler
Cheers Ricky, Love the GTX, very nice! i'm a bit of a forum virgin, not been on one before but looking around this is the site to be on!! getting lots of help aleady!
thank you
Old 09-15-2016, 05:53 AM

1959 imperial for sale

Please see Attached photos

I have all the original hub caps original sparetire and cover in trunk runs and drives needs brake system restored The secondowner never drove it Then I never drove it either, except down my road and inand out of storage. 40,739 original miles the front and rear seats are from a new Yorker (68 69 not sure they look alright in there just not original equipment everythingelse is all original imperial, 413 engine.I have muscle cars and just never got to restoring it.
616-843-1609

Bill
Attached Thumbnails 1959 chrysler imperial fuse box??-croppedimg-20120604-00078.jpg   1959 chrysler imperial fuse box??-imperial-dash.jpg   1959 chrysler imperial fuse box??-img-20120604-00076.jpg