Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   New Members (https://moparforums.com/forums/f4/)
-   -   Greeting from Sacramento,CA (https://moparforums.com/forums/f4/greeting-sacramento-ca-9722/)

Maubel 06-06-2011 02:45 PM

Greeting from Sacramento,CA

I have just purchased my first classic that yes needs to be restored, it is a 68 Plymouth Valiant Signet with the Slant 6 not sure if it is the 225 or the 170(?) though I need to do some checking. It will need interior work and body work and paint but the engine still sounds like it is really strong, no obvious oil stains under the car just on the one side where the plugs are and a small charging problem lol.

I am asking if anyone can lend me some advice, like I said I just bought it and want to turn it into a sleeper ( 4 door model). So my immediate problem is that the car will take a jump, but it is only running off the battery, the alternator is brand spakin new and verified as the right model. I pulled the positive off the battery and the car died, with out my tools and multimeter I was not able to check the charging curcuit. Well later on in the day my memory finally came around and said ( did you check the voltage regulator!!!) :banghead: lol so any thoughts on if the regulator isn't working will the car die if I remove the positive post? Again it has been years since I have working on a older model car, I am used to working on 80's and up or military diesel types.

I would appreciate any advice anybody would have and where can I find a very good repair manual for that type of car?

Coronet 500 06-06-2011 03:20 PM

Welcome. Try Bishko Automobile Literature, got my full '70 service manual reprint from them. Before you start thinking Big Block how about turbocharging?

Maubel 06-06-2011 04:04 PM

Actually I did think about turbo charging but not sure if the engine can handle it, and thanks for the suggestion I will check them out for the repair manual.

MercuryDon 06-06-2011 04:50 PM

The 5th digit in the vin will be A for 170 or B for 225.

78doubleR 06-06-2011 05:27 PM

Welcome! :welcome: Pics?

Maubel 06-06-2011 08:14 PM

PICS????

Lol, ya when i get the car to my place still trying to figure out if i need a alternator regulator or not before this friday.:cool:

78D200 06-07-2011 03:15 AM

Welcome!

MReeves 06-07-2011 03:31 AM

Welcome to the forum..... Be sure to check out the Mopar of the month contest... We have this and members cast votes and pick the winner each month. See the sticky for the simple rulesand be sure to cast your vote!!!

dodgenut7 06-07-2011 04:02 AM

welcome to the forum i had to replace the voltage regulator in my dart my alt needle was jump around and i was told that is a easy way to see if your regulator is ba dhope this helps

62Furious 06-07-2011 05:06 AM

welcome, hope you work the bugs out, be waiting for pics

idahojed 01-08-2015 08:17 PM

67 Valiant Signet

Looking for advice on finding some parts, and wondering if there is a stock bucket seat for this car. I have a really sweet black signet two door, would like to change the interior from two tone brown, to black and change the bench seat to buckets. Anybody out there that knows a good upholstery guy or gal in Portland OR area would be great also. Thanks