Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   New Members (https://moparforums.com/forums/f4/)
-   -   Hi everyone! In need of information (https://moparforums.com/forums/f4/hi-everyone-need-information-10937/)

AzbestoN 10-24-2011 10:23 AM

Hi everyone! In need of information

Hello everyone,

my name's Sebastian and for last few years it's become my dream to own a mopar of my own. I would love to restore it myself, yes, I'm aware how much work it will take, but I'm up for it! Those beauties are just so worth the time and effort.

I realize it takes some technical knowledge to do that and this is where my question comes... Could you guys help me out with some websites, books or any other source of information on restoration and how to do it (including everything I need before I start)?

I'm really serious about it, I've been saving up some money and I still am, I just want to start out right.

By the way, I've watched some of your cars guys and I'm in love!

samuelcosmo76 10-24-2011 11:43 AM

Hey! Welcome to the forum!

For me, the help of old timers who worked on these cars when they were new has been completely invaluable. Find a cruise night or car show and pick their brains!

MReeves 10-24-2011 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by samuelcosmo76 (Post 76826)
Hey! Welcome to the forum!

For me, the help of old timers who worked on these cars when they were new has been completely invaluable. Find a cruise night or car show and pick their brains!

Excellent idea... Someone that has already done it can help you not go down the same wrong road.... Also be sure to check out all the beauties in the Mopar of the Month contest... See the sticky for the simple rules and then noxt month you can help choose the winners.....

challenger 10-24-2011 05:44 PM

Welcome and do you have a ride in mind that your wanting or you have it allready ??

lou3500 10-24-2011 05:59 PM

Welcome to the forum i'm glad to see that your intrested in doing a restoration.
1-speaking to someone whom has worked on mopars is invaluble
2-tools you'll need plenty and will be purchaseing more during the restoration
3-parts for mopars are expensive/hard to find [some models]
4-doing as much as your comfortable/capible of doing is a way to save money
5-finding a solid project is better for a novice [but they may be more money]
6-research the type of model your looking for [so you know what your looking at]
7-take an experinced mechanic friend with you when you look at your choice
8-DO NOT BUY A CAR WITH OUT LOOKING AT IT COMPLETLY.
9-ask questions-take pictures before taking anything apart

good luck with the project have fun

62Furious 10-25-2011 05:03 AM

lou3500 is right you need the 9 steps to fined the car of your dreams, they do not go together over night, so be patent, I have seen a lot of young guns try to put a car together and in 6 months find out how much time and money it takes and loose interest, so be patent, it is a life long pation and project, good luck

AzbestoN 10-25-2011 05:28 AM

Thanks for the answers!

I forgot to mention that I live in Europe, while most of project cars that I've come across on the internet are located in United States, so the "checking the car out" part might be a bit hard.
Would it be alright if someone I know and who lives in US checked the car out for me? I know shipping costs additional money, but what can I do..

@challenger
I was thinking about either Dodge Charger or Dodge Challenger, hard to choose one.

lou3500 10-25-2011 08:27 AM

If you have a friend here in the us whom is knowledgeable of classic cars in general and what to look for then by all means use them as your eyes there are also folks that provide those services for a fee or my advice is to search for your dream classic then try to find a member on this forum or other forums you may be on and ask them to look at it for you and give you an honest opinion.You are slightly handicapped being overseas but it is nothing that can't be overcome,just remember this process will take time make sure your choice is absolutly what you want. Being as your overseas you may be better off getting something close to being done due to the expence of shipping/parts and the rairity of them in europe thats your choice.

78D200 10-25-2011 09:18 AM

Welcome!

rickyr 10-25-2011 09:21 AM

welcome to the forum:hello::clap:

67 GTX 10-29-2011 04:11 PM

welcome to the forum