New Members Feel free to introduce yourself.

New guy here seeking help with camshaft wear.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy here seeking help with camshaft wear.

I'm new here and I was hoping to find some wise folks for some good advice, please help. I have bad wear on the lobes of my new cam installed during rebuild. But the weird thing is that it's only on the lobes for the driver side of the engine. I have pics, but I don't know how to add them. Sorry, La block 318, bored and stroked to 390, indy lax heads from Hughes with 2.02" intake and 1.62" exh valves, cam from Hughes, 232 / 236 deg. At .050", 110 deg lobe sep. , 1.6 ratio Harland rockers, Crowler cam-saver lifters.
Thanks all.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:00 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
I looked them up and it says "...put 12 to 16 ounces of additional oil per minute at each lobe". Now it says it shouldn't be a problem.

What I know is the oil passes along the passenger side lifters, down to #1 main bearing and last up to driver side lifters.

I wonder if these lifters bled off enough oil to starve the drive's side, loose lifter bore clearance would compound or caused this problem.

The obvious questions are pressure, pump type, break in procedure and oil type or additive.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Coronet 500
I looked them up and it says "...put 12 to 16 ounces of additional oil per minute at each lobe". Now it says it shouldn't be a problem.

What I know is the oil passes along the passenger side lifters, down to #1 main bearing and last up to driver side lifters.

I wonder if these lifters bled off enough oil to starve the drive's side, loose lifter bore clearance would compound or caused this problem.

The obvious questions are pressure, pump type, break in procedure and oil type or additive.
Comp cams breakin oil, greater than 80 psi (gage maxes out, comes down to 40-60 ish at idle) 2000-3000 rpm for 30 minutes drove the truck to work a few times then changed the oil to Driven xp3 and added inner springs. Drove for a week. Pulled the pass head after leak down test showed bent intake valve on #2. Discovered cam during disasebly. I believe I bent the valve when I added the inner springs replacing the rocker shaft. The pushrod wasn't seated in the lifter it was stuck on the block above the lifter. I didn't notice until shaft was down and I just popped it down into the lifter and went on with things. The thing is I had more valve train trouble on the pass side, but the driver side of the cam is damaged. Do you know how I can add photos? Thanks for helping.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas1300
Comp cams breakin oil, greater than 80 psi (gage maxes out, comes down to 40-60 ish at idle) 2000-3000 rpm for 30 minutes drove the truck to work a few times then changed the oil to Driven xp3 and added inner springs. Drove for a week. Pulled the pass head after leak down test showed bent intake valve on #2. Discovered cam during disasebly. I believe I bent the valve when I added the inner springs replacing the rocker shaft. The pushrod wasn't seated in the lifter it was stuck on the block above the lifter. I didn't notice until shaft was down and I just popped it down into the lifter and went on with things. The thing is I had more valve train trouble on the pass side, but the driver side of the cam is damaged. Do you know how I can add photos? Thanks for helping.
Also, melling high vol oil pump.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:55 PM
Mopar Lover

Sounds like your on top of your game. The next question is cam lift, spring weight and so on but if it's matched it becomes a none issue. I've done the pushrod thing but caught it before torque and running, just lucky.

I'm at a loss, one side of the block is odd unless the #1 main feed up has debris, or the bearing spun to close it off.

Leave it together and try a prime to see.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:28 AM

Valve lift with 1.6 rockers is .571" intake .582" exhaust.

Valve spring closed pressure 145# @1.8" Open pressure 358# @1.25".
Old 07-24-2016, 07:33 AM

I can't prime it right now as the pass head is still off waiting on new valve.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:38 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Wow... Only the driver side Lifter are failing? Now that would be very very weird...
The cam basically gets it oil from the connecting rod throwing oil up at the camshaft.
It will also get a little oil from the center opening in the block.
Soooooooooo, If this was the first go round with this problem with this block, I would have to say that you got some faulty parts!
Only other thing that come to mind for me, Would be, the valves on that side might have been overly tight? But i would have thought you would have caught that early on when checking the spring pressures....
Just my 2 cents
keep us posted
Old 07-24-2016, 09:40 AM
Mopar Lover

Posting pictures>>>>>>>
https://moparforums.com/forums/f4/po...sting+pictures
Old 07-24-2016, 10:18 AM

I feel stupid

I haven't checked yet, but I think I figured it out. After reading that it gets oil from #1 main, I looked at some oil maps and read some articles on oil galley plugs. Mine didn't have oil galley plugs. I put some in though when I rebuilt it. I thought it would be added insurance against an oil leak(internal). Well I didn't even look at passage before putting in the plugs. Just tapped them in there and bolted cam thrust plate on and continued assembly. I think I might have put them (or hopefully just the driver side one) in a bit too far covering or partially covering the (only) feed to the driver side oil gallery. From what I can tell it only oils the driver side lifters. So the driver side of the cam and lifters would only have been getting splash lubricated. I will take them out when I replace the cam and go back to no plug there relying on the thrust plate to prevent leak. I might add a dab of aviation gasket maker to the thrust plate to ensure no leak. Then I'll prime the engine with no intake to visisbly verify oil to lifters and cam. I'll also prime it as is once head is reinstalled to verify this was the cause. Wish me luck. I still have three days waiting on new valve. Let me know what y'all think.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:53 AM
Mopar Lover

Doug... Dont beat yourself up.... You will find the problem.. Imagine not having the internet to spin thing off people like back in the day....

Anyway... If it was a shrotage on oil in the galley? I think the lifters would be chattering and telling you (Hello we need Help)...

Not saying your not headed down the rite road... Just more food for thought..

Keep us posted
Old 07-24-2016, 01:42 PM
Mopar Lover

Well said Dyno.

Don't ask Bob or me the stupid stuff we have done and learned from. Most important you found it and should have confidence this won't happen again.