Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   MoparForums Help and Suggestion Center (https://moparforums.com/forums/f40/)
-   -   70 roadrunner 383 wont start (https://moparforums.com/forums/f40/70-roadrunner-383-wont-start-16432/)

70 roadrunner 12-31-2013 05:36 PM

70 roadrunner 383 wont start

I just got the car and was told it had a rebuilt 383, and driven off the trailer. That was 5 years ago. I have spark, but it seems to weak. I have replaced the points & condenser, coil, plugs, and the cap & rotor. The car won't start.Any ideas?Anyone?Thanks: hail :

RacerHog 12-31-2013 07:05 PM

Timing Chain Broken ???

Archer 12-31-2013 07:13 PM

70 -

Not enough info.

Do you smell gas or see gas in the carb?
Choke position, if any?
Does it try to start (hiccup) and not full turn over?

Is the timing anywhere near correct?

Ballast resistor intact?

Assuming the gaps (all) were set correctly?

Etc.

Archer

moe7404 12-31-2013 08:32 PM

toss the point system. get the chrysler electronic ignition system.

70 roadrunner 01-01-2014 12:07 AM

Thank you to all for the quick responses. We have been using starting fluid to get the motor to kick. The gas tank (on board) has been disconnected and a 2 gal plastic tank has the fuel pump intake hose in it. There is no smell of gas. I think the ballister is on the firewall, about a 1/4 inch square and 3" long (color white). I put an olm meter acroSs the 2 leads and have 0 resistance(with wires attached). Im going to try a new starter (cranks kinda slow) any thoughts are welcome.

Archer 01-01-2014 05:47 AM

70 -

A motor that cranks but won't start should have the carb soaked with gas.
Is the fuel pump pushing anything out?

Sorry, you are getting a spark (possibly weak) and the engine kicks with help, that would imply a functioning ballast resistor. However, the resistance IIRC should be about 1.25 ohm, haven't run a points system in decades.

While I'd always prefer the electronic conversion, that may not be your problem either, unless the point/condenser etc were set up incorrectly.

Slow cranking might be a worn starter or a bad battery. The battery may be an easier test.

Archer