Neon R/T?

Old 05-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neon R/T?

Was this just a badge, or a precursor to the SRT-4? Don't really know much about them, other than I saw one that appeared to have dual exhaust. I'm thinking of picking one up as a driver.

Opinions?

j
Old 05-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
They are real. Dodge did the same thing to them as the durango and dakotas. Dual exhaust (after the muffler), R/T stiching inside and a 2.4 DOHC motor. I think you could get tham as autos and stick but am not sure. Ther are pretty fun to drive.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Mopar Fan

Brief Dodge Neon R/T history (visual)

First gen:
1998-1999: (stock) 2 or 4 door sedan with 2.0 L 150 HP DOHC motor, dual tip muffler (same side) , power bulge on hood, and two stripes running down the hood, roof, trunk, with trunk spoiler and 5 speed manual tranny only.

Second gen:
2000: None

2001-2004: (stock) 4 door only with 2.0L 150 HP SOHC motor with dual tipped muffler (one on each side), spoiler, side skirts, 5 speed manual tranny only.

The 2.4L motor was only avaliable on the 2003-2005 SRT-4 Neon.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kath.

That is a lot of great info on the Neon R/T. Thank you very much for your input!
Old 06-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Administrator with a large ban hammer !

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Moparknighthawk
Brief Dodge Neon R/T history (visual)

First gen:
1998-1999: (stock) 2 or 4 door sedan with 2.0 L 150 HP DOHC motor, dual tip muffler (same side) , power bulge on hood, and two stripes running down the hood, roof, trunk, with trunk spoiler and 5 speed manual tranny only.
Color keyed door handles 4 wheel disk brakes sport suspension front and rear sway bars black interior panels, there is plenty more, I just can't think of it all right now. If you want any specific info on the first gen, just ask I am an original owner of an R/T.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kath
I had a 2004 R/T and a 2003 SXT. There's quite an extensive list of differences.

The R/T is rated at 150 hp on its SOHC design. It gets this through a variety of mods including: a race cam, larger valves, beefed up valve springs, larger intake manifold, variable airflow intake geometry which attempts to focus a wave of pressurized air on the intake valve openings, a performance PCM chip (91 octane required), a beefed up header exhaust, larger 2.25" diameter exhaust piping all the way back, performance muffler, 2 functional exhaust tips.

This engine feels pretty bland at lower rpm. From around 3000 to 4000 rpm it quickly ramps up in power output & exhaust note. And from about 4500 to the redline (6500) it just screams. Actually it screams to 7000 where the rev limiter will kick in. Even at 7000rpm the engine feels like it wants to go faster. Having owned both, I can say that the difference between the regular 2.0L engine & the magnum 2.0 is *definitely* more than the rated 18hp. I suspect the magnum is underrated, and actually more like 160hp.

The R/T is 5speed manual only. It has its own transmission gearing, different from the regular neon. The gearing is very aggressive and race inspired. It's clearly set up to really get the most out of the engine. The car will lay a little more rubber when you shift into 2nd at about 30mph. 5th gear is geared too low in my opinion though. While it gives great uphill & passing ability without downshifting, it burns more gas.

In my experience it would easily take *any* non-turbocharged 4cyl. car, and would be serious competition for most V-6 cars. It is for example, faster than an '02 300M, or an '04 V-6 mustang. The R/T will go out of its way to tempt you to drive more aggressively. The car is just that much happier when performing.

The R/T has a stiffer suspension system than the regular neon. It's not overly harsh, actually its a great suspension with excellent balance & feel. The regular neon suspension is very 'mushy' by comparison. The R/T also has a rear antisway bar (regular neons have front antisway only). This makes the R/T very well behaved in turns.

The R/T's came stock with 16" alluminum wheels (SXT's are 15" and regular neons are 14"steel). And the final rolling diameter of the RT's rubber is slightly larger as well.

R/T comes standard with 4 wheel ABS disc brakes. (as apposed to front disc/rear drum and optional ABS)

R/T's came with a beefed up sound system, sporting slightly better speakers, power, and a 6 disc cd changer. The R/T's seats have more aggressive side bolstering which holds you in place in a sharp turn, and an overall more sturdy feeling seat. The interior cloth is of higher quality. Interior noise is actually better on the R/T as well. R/T's come with leather steering wheel & shifter.

R/T's come standard with fog lights (instead of optional). The front fascia has body colored trim around the air dam, instead of the chrome-look trim on the regular neon. There's the R/T badging, and the 'magnum 2.0' badging. The R/T comes standard with a rear spoiler. And it has sporty yet subtle mopar side skirts on the bottom edge sides of the car. These are actually quite rare and hard to find now.

If you want gas mileage, a regular neon (5spd manual) will get you about 28/36 mpg, vs. the R/T which will get you about 26/31mpg and ask you for premium while its at it. But a regular neon feels like any entry level rental car, and an R/T is actually a great deal nicer in almost every regard.

Interestingly, the R/T's insurance costs are comparable to the regular neons. Only the SRT-4 neons have 'sports car' insurance pricing.

My '04 neon R/T unfortunately went to the great junkyard in the sky. I replaced it with an 03' neon SXT. I have a great deal of buyer's remorse on the SXT. The SXT isn't a bad car, but the R/T spoiled me rotten. I wish I had continued to search for another R/T.
i kno that feeling i almost bought one that the guy tuned and had a cam in it and it felt like it was suckin me into my seat wen i hit second
if i ever get a chance im buyin one
Old 07-17-2009, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree Kath: I have a 04 R/T and am still surprised by it everyday. I have 100k on mine and it is a great car, that beggs you to take that corner alittle faster. The only complaints I have are it could use a 6 spd and what was chrysler smoking when they redesigned the neon in 2000 and decided what the heck they dont need rear power windows, they only need front power windows. This one stupid omission is the 1st question everyone asks when they drive in my car.

Fred
Old 07-22-2013, 05:18 PM

Kath is dead on I agree with everything that was said. I currently own an 03 r/t and owned a 99 4door 2.0 in the past. Although they are both good reliable gas efficent cars there is just no question the r/t is better. I currently have mine stock and its sufficent. I did have many mods on the 99 header, exhaust, intake, chip, cam, clutch, brakes, springs. And I still dont think it would touch the r/t. The only prob I have with the r/t ia the shifter/gearbox especially 2nd gear. Sometimes its hard to grab 2nd and the shifts feel notchy and not as smooth as they should be.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:31 AM

Trying to find parts to beef up my 01 neon r/t

I'm on a budget and I love to work on cars but I just need some good places to shop the car already has msd ignition full injen cold air intake tokico lower springs all the way around just want to beef it up a little bit
Old 01-19-2014, 04:53 AM

2003 R/T Exhaust question

I know this isn't a specific thread for exhausts but it IS the thread most recently posted on so thought I might find someone to home here I just bought this car, and I won't go into the leaking issues in this post, I'll save that for later. But....the other day while driving home I had the passenger side tailpipe / tip break loose from the driver side tailpipe where it is welded into at the Y section. NOW ... I don't know if this exhaust is stock because I can't find any info at all on this car --- everything is about the SRT-4, and I'm getting seriously frustrated trying to find something I can afford that will fit on this car. The tailpipe section on this car looks EXACTLY like the ones I've seen on Ebay for the SRT-4, and NONE of the few cat back systems I've seen for this car look anything like what mine is rocking. I found a Magnaflow system that is supposed to be for this car but it says it's NOT for cars with rear anti-sway bars - which of course my car has. It seems like nothing I've found was designed for this car. Anyone have any pointers for me? I even called the nearest Dodge dealer, and the parts dude said he couldn't tell me what the stock system looks like since his book stops at the muffler. I read a post somewhere that said the SRT-4 exhaust won't fit due to the distance between the tips being different. I'm pulling my hair out here. Any ideas out there? Thanks
Old 04-11-2018, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by moparsmokeurcar
Kath is dead on I agree with everything that was said. I currently own an 03 r/t and owned a 99 4door 2.0 in the past. Although they are both good reliable gas efficent cars there is just no question the r/t is better. I currently have mine stock and its sufficent. I did have many mods on the 99 header, exhaust, intake, chip, cam, clutch, brakes, springs. And I still dont think it would touch the r/t. The only prob I have with the r/t ia the shifter/gearbox especially 2nd gear. Sometimes its hard to grab 2nd and the shifts feel notchy and not as smooth as they should be.
I have had the same problem with my 03 neon r/t. 2nd gear grabs hard. But right now it's my back up car. I've been thinking about modding it but idk. Just a thought. It's hits 136mph now in 5th around 6.5-7000rpm. once I hit that it kicks me down to about 115 almost instantly. It feels she wants to go so much more though.