Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Vehicle Development (https://moparforums.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Hybrid Vehicles (https://moparforums.com/forums/f56/hybrid-vehicles-1528/)

Tankman52 09-21-2008 04:36 AM

Hybrid Vehicles

Positive or negative comments on this? What are your likes and dislikes? Do you think Hybrid systems are good?

ef8340 09-21-2008 04:50 AM

i think there a good idea you know for the enviroment,but everyone still likes too see a old dinosaur once in awhile too,....well almost everyone, i'll still be driving my dart though even if gas would be 20.00 bucks a gallon

chlngr1970 09-21-2008 08:18 AM

I don't have any problem with Hybrid technology. I just wish they would put it in a car that isn't so ugly :mad: Also, since they aresupposed to be "green," does that take into account the disposal of all the batteries? I had heard there was a study done a while back that proved the HumV actually has a smaller environmental impact when you take into consideration manufacturing and disposal of the batteries :eek:

j

Tankman52 09-22-2008 12:05 AM

I believe the EPA has come a long way with technology when it comes to battery disposal. I don't think the Government would be so into alternative fuels and Hybrid systems. I work for DoD contractor and we have 4 Hybrid HUMMV (Military version) that we put Hybrid systems in them. At first we used lead acid gels, but then when lithium cost starting coming down...we went that route.

Tankman52 09-22-2008 12:07 AM

Oh yeah, guys...nice cars you have there! Make my truck look like something you drive to Home Depot and back...LOL...

challenger 09-22-2008 08:42 PM

hey tankman i run e-85 in my challenger so im greener than most hybrid cars out there and the fun i have with people , they don't know what to expect :D

deadkelly 02-02-2009 12:40 AM

hey tank man

i think the the green things all good sort of . i would love to run ethanol in my car , but its up to the gov , & fuel companys to put the product on the table . we should be able to tune our cars for that fuel and take advantage of higher compression & cooler running engines ?

zdizzle85 03-05-2009 02:57 PM

i luv green technology but most hybrids are ugly as sin plus thier slow. I lke Ev vehicles they have lots or pro's but also con. The coolest thing is instance torque, no waitng for powerband

67 GTX 03-05-2009 04:56 PM

ya, electric vehicles have instant power
that is why that saturn that came out years ago was pretty quick

66sportfury 03-06-2009 11:31 PM

the tesla is all electric and faster than alot of factory gas cars,

67 GTX 03-07-2009 07:23 AM

true, i have seen it vs. a new hemi challenger and beat it

hypermite 03-07-2009 04:54 PM

I've got a Ford Ranger radio in my Ram 50 mini truck, does that count as a hybrid ?

Polaradude 03-07-2009 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by 66sportfury (Post 14582)
the tesla is all electric and faster than alot of factory gas cars,

Ya that bad boy is quick, like 3.9 seconds to 60 mph and good for like 150 miles on a charge or something like that. And ya wonder why no one will buy the Chevy Volt. It can't even compete with the Tesla. Oh ya Chevy's going tits up...lol

67 GTX 03-07-2009 08:31 PM

haha

Commando 03-08-2009 12:48 PM

The reason why I bought my car with the 400 was that I was driving a hybrid and while traveling over a bridge was easily overtaken and passed by a dump truck with a full load. At least the ones I have driven have no power or pickup.

66sportfury 03-08-2009 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by hypermite (Post 14616)
I've got a Ford Ranger radio in my Ram 50 mini truck, does that count as a hybrid ?

it sure does.........but c,mon a kracko would be better than sporting a fomoco radio

67 GTX 03-09-2009 01:14 PM

haha

33harner 06-07-2009 08:59 AM

I'm all for being fuel efficient, but not at the expense of our economy. What I mean by that is the whole corn for fuel thing driving food prices up. Also, the aforementioned issue with battery disposal. The disposal techniques have not been moved along as much as you'd like to hope. Our current government is trying to look green, but only with energy production, and the energy they want to produce is at best 10% effective. I guess this little rant is going a little beyond just the subject of hybrid vehicles, huh? It would be interesting to see more investment in the hydrogen fuel cells. Hydrogen has great potential, but quite a few issues (between being highly explosive and somewhat difficult to procure in a pure state).

Polaradude 06-07-2009 11:32 AM

Here's my 2 cents.
Governments around the world make too much money from oil to really care too much about the alternative or green fuel sources. That's it in a nut shell. Why some countries invade other ones just to secure a supply of crude oil. It's the same with diamonds etc, big business has the ear of government and in essence controls it. So as long as there is oil in the ground and there is lots, we won't be seeing any great advancements in alternative fuels being available to the general public.

deadkelly 06-10-2009 03:08 AM

so whatda we all do ?
this is more important than face book ,

oh BTW i hear NORTH korea's drinking water recycles batteries & toxic waste , just lobe it over there they love it . :D

I'm really a greenie at hart . I'm just situated at the pointy end of the stick . :p

DominicanChallenger 06-19-2009 08:43 PM

I'm all for green technology stuff...but my vote goes to hydrogen systems. I think if we go too heavy on the ethanol route, prices on corn and other ethanol sources will sky rocket. I mean, look at whats allready happening with HOPS!...everyone started planting corn instead of hops and the price of hops went through the roof!! that is gonna have a huge impact on my beer supply...

78D200 06-20-2009 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by DominicanChallenger (Post 22478)
everyone started planting corn instead of hops and the price of hops went through the roof!! that is gonna have a huge impact on my beer supply...

X2

67Polara 07-25-2009 09:52 AM

33harner i use hydrogen in my 67 polara, it works great and saves tons of gas around town, but its a pain in the but to do the upkeep and you can put it on any car that has a carb it confuses fuel injected car pc's n makes em get worse gas mi,
but i have a glass jar with two metal plates thats wired to my batterand when i flip a switch it charges the molocules in the jar ( baking soda and distilled water ) and produces hydrogen and pumps it into my car and wala! bettter gas mi, with it i get around 20 mi to the gallon around town if idont drivelike a jack@$$ and close to 30 highway, so its worth all the hassel cuz i should be getting around 8 mi to the gallon city and i think like 12 or 15 high way. and this is with a 318 4 barrel carb.

cyclone2321 08-06-2009 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by 67Polara (Post 25786)
33harner i use hydrogen in my 67 polara, it works great and saves tons of gas around town, but its a pain in the but to do the upkeep and you can put it on any car that has a carb it confuses fuel injected car pc's n makes em get worse gas mi,
but i have a glass jar with two metal plates thats wired to my batterand when i flip a switch it charges the molocules in the jar ( baking soda and distilled water ) and produces hydrogen and pumps it into my car and wala! bettter gas mi, with it i get around 20 mi to the gallon around town if idont drivelike a jack@$$ and close to 30 highway, so its worth all the hassel cuz i should be getting around 8 mi to the gallon city and i think like 12 or 15 high way. and this is with a 318 4 barrel carb.

im really intrested in making one of these. what site did you use to show you how to make it?

67Polara 08-06-2009 05:28 AM

i didnt make it myself the guy i baught the car made when he got it in 05 but you can google it and find blue prints 2 make one its really not to hard from what he taught me about it. if you cant find anything let me know and i'll ask the guy who sold me my car where he got the blue prints, just make sure if u find the plans ur self to make one dont make it so it turns on when you turn ur car on or it will drain ur battery run a switch from the converter into dash or ur center console, i have mine on thr center console n it works really well there, n it looks cool he made it so it looks like a NOS switch with the red cover over it =),)

cyclone2321 08-06-2009 10:46 AM

hahah i was planning to use a switch like that too!
ill just say it is a NOS swithch hahaha..

cyclone2321 08-06-2009 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 67Polara (Post 26770)
i didnt make it myself the guy i baught the car made when he got it in 05 but you can google it and find blue prints 2 make one its really not to hard from what he taught me about it. if you cant find anything let me know and i'll ask the guy who sold me my car where he got the blue prints, just make sure if u find the plans ur self to make one dont make it so it turns on when you turn ur car on or it will drain ur battery run a switch from the converter into dash or ur center console, i have mine on thr center console n it works really well there, n it looks cool he made it so it looks like a NOS switch with the red cover over it =),)

can you post a couple of pictures of your setup.

67Polara 08-08-2009 06:09 PM

sure i'll take care of that 2morrow for ya, yeah i like to tell ppl its the self destruct gizmo lol =)

67Polara 08-10-2009 07:56 PM

hey cyclone email @ supradude@vzw.blackberry.net so i remeber i totally for got all about it. sorry about all that

ryan_e 08-30-2009 04:38 PM

i dont mean to be a asshole or anything and i dont mean any offense by this but hybrid cars a a joke and a half. sure you get better gas mileage and its "green" but i mean come on we can burn all the fuel we want and it probably won't effect the environment while any of us are still alive, hybrids are a mobile mess of a car. For fire fighters like me, when one of those hippies wreck there are so many more hazards that we have to deal with, like the car NOT shutting off and run the chance of running one of us over or that air bags cant be disenaged by cutting the battery cables, or if one of those pieces catch fire water only makes it burn hotter, then theres the "saftey" features of them, like when you open the doors it automatically checks the brakes by depressing them then letting off, what happens when you have the calipers off, it shoots the piston out if you open the door. Im not a big fan of these cars and never will be, I'll be driving my gas guzzler untill the day I die even if it only gets 5 miles to the gallon.