The trade off..

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
The trade off..

I hope I just didn't make the biggest mistake of my life.. My wife & I own a 2011 Dodge Journey we bought it new it now has 39000 miles on it. I have replaced the front rotors 4 times in that mileage an the pads once this last time. The vehicle is now out of warranty so the last rotors and pads were on me. It was just short of $300. The car has also had electrical problems where the radio looses its memory over night and has to be reprogramed. The transmission sometimes does a real hard shift and bangs when it does. There is a clunking noise over bumps at time that sounds like a sway bar link or strut mount/bearing but all checks out ok. So the thing That might be my mistake is... We started looking at cars a week or so ago and yesterday we bought a Honda CRV EXL loaded with all the toys. I have owned Mopars since I started driving 40 years ago and feel like somehow I have become a trader. Dont get me wrong I looked at Dodges and I couldn't get excited because when I complained of these problems they could never find anything and now they just say Well your out of warranty.. I said to them I have been complaining about this since the beginning. They say well I dont know what to tell you.. And the great part of this is that Chrysler knows they have a problem with the brakes on these vehicles and wont stand behind them beyond 18,000 miles regaurdless of how many times you complain.. They last about 2 weeks and start thumping again even after torquing the wheels. The rotors from Chrysler are made in china and so are the after market rotors nobody make a rotor made in the US. Sad fact....Bill

Last edited by pro-tech; 07-28-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
I don't blame you for going to a different brand of vehicle for a DD. When a dealership isn't willing to help it really leaves a bad taste in your mouth for the brand. Hopefully though it doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth for the classics.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
No traitor, just smart I say. When it comes to personal (newer) vehicles I have no brand loyalty. With out going into all the different brands we've had it usually comes down to what's available what we can afford and some advice from knowledgable friends. The last Chrysler I had was when I was a teenager, but I'd cut my arm off before giving up our '70 Coronet, '72 Demon or '92 Truck. Hell right now I'm back halving my sons '88 Mustang.

But, I have never and will never have a Chevrolet in my driveway.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by 78D200
I don't blame you for going to a different brand of vehicle for a DD. When a dealership isn't willing to help it really leaves a bad taste in your mouth for the brand. Hopefully though it doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth for the classics.
No I wont give up my 72 Duster or my 2003 Ram 2500 quad cab. You would think this dealership would go to bat for me and replace the brakes out of customer loyalty I trade every 2 years for my wifes car as a way of not having to hear that there is something wrong with the car. And this time that failed me.. The Journey was a $32,000 car and I had alot of issues with it. I think the engineers better get there heads out of there a==es and stop having the parts made in China theres a reason China doesn't make cars.. They would fall apart on the boat getting here..LOL ...Bill
Old 07-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
Oh ****. I just bought a Journey last week!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:29 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Oh Boy..... All I can say is that Chrysler Died a while back for me...1979 Or 1980 was the end of the line. Reliability went out the window. I have owned a **** load of Brand -X cars and Trucks. Most of them better than here in the states. We really need Detroit back in the swing of things, We can do it here, we just need to get rid of the tree hungers and stupid law makers. And all the Azz-hats driving the prices of the car threw the ceiling, and just get people that want to work back to work...Like I said. I have had lots of other vehicles but the truck below has been with me a mile or two...

My Daily Driver is a 1977 Dodge D150 PU 360Ci 727auto trans and No/AC (Warlock)
550,000 Miles on this old rag

Honda is a good Choice Bill.... I dont think you will regret it...

As for the brake pads and rotors for the liberty..... Centric are the way to go.
http://www.centricparts.com/

Trust me I know.... I'm a Fleet Dude......lol
I work on the stuff out there that we fix for factory's....

Dont worry folks....Its not just Chrysler with the problems....
Old 07-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Something that goes through brakes that fast I would get rid of quick Brakes are the most important item in your car
Old 07-29-2013, 05:42 AM
Mopar Lover

Funny thing about this whole car thing is.. The Honda is built in the USA and only 15% of the parts are from outside the US. The Journey was 65% of the parts outside the US. Whats wrong with this picture????? All I can say Mr4spd is good luck and if its not a 2011 or newer then you are in for even more problems because in 2011 the vehicle was redesigned with a new driveline. The 3.5 liter driveline had numerous problems including engine /transmission /transfer case...Bill
Old 07-29-2013, 07:53 AM
Mopar Lover

Well me and the wife decided to keep the Journey after the Honda dealership gave us the final amount of the payment, over double what we're paying now and they wouldn't give us squat for our car. It was a done deal but then all the numbers changed (the old low ball game) Im way to smart for that BS. The journey is almost payed for so we'll keep it and run the wheels off it....Bill
Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Mopar Lover

Trade it in for an SRT

Old 07-29-2013, 06:37 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by RacerHog
Trade it in for an SRT

Bob, I would love to, for what I've got in the Duster build I could have had One. Lol The Mrs. and I when we bought the Journey were looking at Challengers and we were talking to the sales manager and ready to make the deal.. It was a Furious Fuchia with White stripes SRT and the Mrs. chimes in with can we work into the deal a set of snow tires???? What!!!! I said to the sales manager I'm sorry, can you excuse me for a minute I need to talk to her for a minute. I then told her you dont drive a SRT Challenger in snow or rain it is a fair weather car. Her response WTF good is it then... And we ended up with the Journey Black on Black and it has really been a good car except for the brakes mainly... The sucky part of the Challenger story is we were getting the car for a little over invoice which is almost unheard of.. AND I found out through Hemmings Muscle car reveiw that there were only 400 built. A one day production 280 to the USA and 120 to Canada.. Now I'm saying WTF I was that close... Do you know what that car is worth and will be worth??? SRT in Furious Fuchia I never heard what the SRT Build numbers were, and would probably cry...They had 2 at the dealership An SRT & a RT with black stripes.. That is a true story and the SM gave me a poster of George Washington and Army Standing next to a Challenger.. And it says Let Freedom Rev On the bottom. My darling Wife had it framed by a studio and it hangs in my office over my desk as a daily reminder of what was so close yet not mine...Thats why I love her????LOL Bill

Last edited by pro-tech; 07-29-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Mopar Lover

Hahahahahahahahahahaha...Now that is just way to dam funny Bill...

The old saying...."This close...Just this close"....lol