Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Do-It-yourself Section (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   318 5.2l starting problems... please help (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/318-5-2l-starting-problems-please-help-4374/)

mr_Sancho1324 10-04-2009 12:10 AM

318 5.2l starting problems... please help

Hi All. So I am new to Mopar and little by little Im learning how they work. Im currently running a 318 and for a while everything has been great. Just recently I replaced the battery and since then Ive been having issues starting it. I dont have an electric fuel pump so I have to pump it a few times. Most of the time it will start right up. The other times all I hear is a click from the starter relay. If I keep trying it wont start. It doesnt even crank. All I continue to hear is a click noise from the starter relay. I have already replaced the relay but it still does it from time to time. I dont think its the starter but again I am new to this. So now Im thinking it might be the ignition control modulator or the voltage regulator, but again Im new and not sure. Could anyone shine some light on my problem? Thanks in advance!

Stinkwheel 10-04-2009 01:14 AM

click from the starter relay is only ever a couple of things.............

you say you replaced the battery? dd you replace it because the old one was flat or just wouldnt charge anymore?

if its because it was flat, have you checked that your car is charging? is the new battery now flat?

also the click could be starter relay/solenoid failure or even a sticking starter motor.

have you got good earth and battery positive leads ? poor or dirty connections could also lead to your 'click'

MrOldart2U 10-04-2009 05:57 AM

For me for some reason the issues I've had as far as connections go on Mopars has been the battery to body ground... its very critical on Chrysler products... check it first.

scotts74birds 10-04-2009 10:01 AM

X2 on everything. Get a manual and start checking things. You dont learn anything by throwing parts at a problem. The satisfaction of a cheap repair is its own reward. My95 Ram 5.2 would do the same thing. The solenoid on the starter would get filled with moisture and corrosion. I took it apart and cleaned and sanded the contacts, applied dialectric grease to the contacts, and it has served me for 2 years with no problems.

Foedoe 02-03-2011 09:05 PM

Pop the hood and watch the positive battery terminal when you start it if it sparks then take it off redo the connection and tighten mine does that sometimes