Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Do-It-yourself Section (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   360 to 360 swap (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/360-360-swap-8473/)

keith811 01-13-2011 07:54 AM

360 to 360 swap

I have a 1997 ram 2500 and I want to put an early 360 in it. As it is much cheaper to build a pre- magnum 360. My truck is manual 5 speed transmission 4x4. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what it will take mechanically to get the engine in the truck. I'd like to keep the drive train in tact if possible. I need to know things like: are the bell housing bolt patterns the same, engine mount locations? Those types of things. any help would be greatly appreciated.

78D200 01-13-2011 08:16 AM

• The LA360 needs to be setup to run with a flywheel (i think the cranks are different between the automatics and manuals).
  • Also, since you'll have the fuel system pumping gas to the motor, you'll need to run a pressure gauge and regulator so you don't flood the carb. If you plan on running a FI system, you'll need to find out what the system requirements are verse what your fuel pump puts out.
  • There is wiring it all in with the PCM so that you don't have a "check engine" light on.
  • Custom exhaust will be needed to connect the manifolds to the rest of the exhuast.
  • You'll need the proper oil pan and sump.
  • I'm unsure about the motor bolting up to the bell housing and the motor mounts bolting up to the engine.
  • I know there are other things that I'm missing.

1966sportfury 01-13-2011 08:16 AM

the 360 is externally balanced so you will need a weighted flywheel. one motor mount is different the difference its the width you can use washer to make up the slack. everything else is just wrenching.
and what tim said above

440roadrunner 01-13-2011 10:43 AM

I think you are thinking wrong. If you want to get rid of EFI and go carb, build the magnum. It has way better heads and the roller cam lasts a lot longer than LA setups.