Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Do-It-yourself Section (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   440 exhaust bolt question (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/440-exhaust-bolt-question-3012/)

66dartvert 05-11-2009 05:12 AM

440 exhaust bolt question

what exhaust bolts do I need to put sealant on is it all of them or is it just the end ones. I already installed my headers but forgot to put sealant on the bolts. I have not put water in the motor or fired it yet if it's just the end ones I may not have to ruin the gasket. But I used the TTI headers and I have to take most of the bolts out to get the one that hides behind a tube. Thank you in advance

Commando 05-11-2009 05:19 PM

I assume they are stock heads, the heads I pulled off my engine had access to the water jacket through each bolt hole so they all needed to be sealed.

67 GTX 05-11-2009 06:52 PM

i am pretty sure i sealed all of them
just do all of them for safety

78trailduster 05-11-2009 07:54 PM

you need to put sealer on them. All B/RB heads have water jackets that the exhaust bolts screw into. I used aviation #3 permatex and the havent leaked so far. Make sure you run a tap down the holes to clean all the rust out. Spray Brake Clean down all the wholes and blow them out real well so they are dry and make sure you let that permatex set up for at least 24-48 hrs before any coolant comes in contact or they will leak and you will have coolant coming out your exhaust Good Luck

66dartvert 05-14-2009 06:12 AM

Hey thanks guys I did all of them I used rtv black silicone. I did it before I read the last post I used to use aviation sealer and even had some on the shelf but chose the silicone instead I hope it does the job. I used to know this stuff but I have been away from older Mopars for around 20 years now and forgot alot of this stuff. Thanks again

MrMopowered 05-14-2009 10:46 AM

Yeah man seal 'em up. Haha. My dad and I had a funny experience with this changing a starter on my car. We had to unbolt the headers to uncapture the damn thing, which let loose a torrent of coolant all over the garage floor. Lying underneath, we exchange the "OH S@#T!" look for a second- normally that would mean your motor is screwed when that much coolant is flowing out of that particular area. It was only after I glanced up, making the connection between the water jacket and the bolt hole that we figured it out. Neither of us had ever done any serious work on a big block before- all smallblocks.

Commando 05-19-2009 04:39 PM

Keep an eye on them to make sure there is no leak, I would have used the copper RTV because of the heat, another recommendation would have been Boiler Putty, what plumbers use.

Foedoe 02-03-2011 09:10 PM

I didnt use sealant on mine it blows a little white smoke i bet thats it
So hi temp rtv on the bolts?

MercuryDon 02-03-2011 10:05 PM

I use Permatex Aviation also.

maddawg57 02-04-2011 06:58 AM

I did not know that, I learn something new every day.I'm running Edelbrock RPM heads,and I just had the drivers side header off n back on, and had no leaks n still have no leaks yet.Was I extremly lucky or do the RPM head"s exhaust bolts not intersect the water jackets in the head. Thanx Bob

ykf7b0 12-04-2016 02:21 PM

The RPM heads and all other aluminum aftermarket big block Mopar heads are blind holes and do not go into the water jackets. Only factory cast heads have this design.