Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Do-It-yourself Section (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Do you read up on what you're doing? (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/do-you-read-up-what-youre-doing-3848/)

richinny 08-08-2009 12:16 PM

Do you read up on what you're doing?

something i've noticed on many forums is that many people have no guide to what they are trying to do. if you're going to play mechanic, you should read up on the subject. basic theory on how the major systems in a vehicle work are available online as well as at the library. a little reading can make repairing things so much easier. for the basics, you won't need to read the book all the time as you'll remember the basics.

when you start working on the more elaborate things. i suggest buying a detailed manual. they won't fix the car for you but very often point out things that will bite you if you don't know about them.

as your love for repairing things gets stronger, you'll seek out more information and you knowledge will grow and reward you in less time, money and aggravation spent while working on you ride. :)
you might even meet a cute librarian! :D

scotts74birds 08-08-2009 12:35 PM

Right on dude! RTFM!!!!:D [ Read The F%cking Manual]

richinny 08-08-2009 04:19 PM

lol scott. i know you read everything :-)

78D200 08-08-2009 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by richinny (Post 26885)
something i've noticed on many forums is that many people have no guide to what they are trying to do. if you're going to play mechanic, you should read up on the subject. basic theory on how the major systems in a vehicle work are available online as well as at the library. a little reading can make repairing things so much easier. for the basics, you won't need to read the book all the time as you'll remember the basics.

when you start working on the more elaborate things. i suggest buying a detailed manual. they won't fix the car for you but very often point out things that will bite you if you don't know about them.

as your love for repairing things gets stronger, you'll seek out more information and you knowledge will grow and reward you in less time, money and aggravation spent while working on you ride. :)

So true...... So true

not around here but then again.............. you never know.;)

67 GTX 08-08-2009 05:17 PM

Very true:D

MrOldart2U 10-04-2009 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by scotts74birds (Post 26886)
Right on dude! RTFM!!!!:D [ Read The F%cking Manual]

Instructions? I don't need no stinking instructions!!!!!:D

scotts74birds 10-05-2009 03:41 PM

Instructions: noun, plural. Def. "Those things you read only AFTER you f%$ked it up!"

rr69half6bbl 10-05-2009 07:48 PM

lol aint it the truth. they alwys start out with ,hey guys i have a prob. its doing this, what do I need to do? so they get an answer. then its, uhhh well ok ,But i kinda did this first cause i thought thats how it went. apperently not. so how do i fix that so I can do this? Ill be the first to admit,ive done that... hahahhah. then i had a buddy bring me a shop manual.he says, ok dimbulb, next time you want to fix something, read about it here first then call me, then well work on it, any questions?? uhh no i says.

ryan_e 10-06-2009 09:39 AM

yeah people playing mechanic always make me laugh when i worked at a dealership someone tried to pull a dash out to save a little bit of cash and impress his wife, and judging by how f@#$ed up it was im going so assume he slept on the couch

78D200 10-06-2009 11:34 AM

we had one guy install his own air filter with the plastic bag still around it.

Zach8200 10-06-2009 12:19 PM

I worked for a detail shop a couple of years ago and a customer brought his 32 Ford roadster in that was appraised at like 40 grand. We also had a couple of idiots working for us and they got to detail the Ford they got in to move it into the shop and neither one knew how to start the car or drive it. I told them if you cant start it then you cant detail it they asked someone one else and they said F.O.R.D (flip over read directions) best advice they should of taken because they sucked a plastic bag through the blower that was covering the water fron entering the motor needless to say they didnt have a paycheck for a couple of weeks

JP79 10-27-2009 06:06 AM

When I buy a car/truck/bike I also buy the Chilton or Clymer for it.

deadkelly 10-27-2009 06:24 AM

sorry just testing something

Polaradude 10-27-2009 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by deadkelly (Post 31960)
sorry just testing something

check, 1, 2, 3..Is this thing on ?:D

62Furious 11-24-2009 08:31 PM

if it don't work get a bigger hammer

rcknrolfender79 11-24-2009 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by scotts74birds (Post 30615)
Instructions: noun, plural. Def. "Those things you read only AFTER you f%$ked it up!"

LOL so true. I bet its a good 80% of the male poplulation, that only read the instructions after they messed something up lol. Me included. :D