First engine build. 400hp 318 attempt.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First engine build. 400hp 318 attempt.

I've turned wrenches on many projects for friends and family through the years, but I've never had to do this part before. Ad to be quite honest, I'm starting to get a little lost and overwhelmed.

I have a 318 that is dated 1971, but came from a bone stock '72 Charger. I have it torn down to a bare block in the garage, and my pro mechanic buddy that helped me says, "Not a single spun bearing, crank looks new, no rust at all, and I don't see as much as a scratch in the walls. You could rebuild that one just like it is. The heads just need a good cleaning. You got a good one!"

Since then, I found the cam has some wear and denting on it, but I think every used one I've ever seen looked like that. Not going to use it anyways.

What I'm assuming are hydraulic lifters, look brand new. Not a scratch or ding on any of them. Push rods are all the exact same size, and doing the roll test with a light beam under them, shows them all true.

I'm not worried about the rocker assembly. I know I will be putting a roller setup on whatever heads I use no matter what.

With this being my first build, and looking for more power, I have been doing my homework. I started here;

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...-engine-build/

And kept digging.

After all I've researched, and what I've seen in my engine, that compression has to come up, first and foremost. I do plan on ordering the Kieth Black, KB167 piston heads. I'll spend the money on that, because it seems like a necessity.

When I called the machine shop to check on prices, he told me that I needed to figure out how I was going to build it complete before I brought it to him. He was right, I didn't think about a few things before I got trigger happy.

This is why I'm here. After thinking I had it all figured, I'm stuck not knowing where to start. What is the very first thing I need to do in building this pocket friendly, 400hp, 318, close to what is in that link up there. I'm completely open to other ideas and input, and I can get pictures up here of anything you need to see. I need all the help I can get right now.

If there is anything I can reuse, I'd like to use it, and would like to avoid spending more money than necessary to get what I'm looking for. Reliability will be a must, for this will be in an almost all out drag car, '69 Valiant. I have a 904 waiting to be gone through, and a trans brake installed.

I'm still looking for a deal on the right 8 3/4", Ford 9" or 8.8", to finish my drivetrain.

That's about all the upfront info I can think to give right now. If I left anything out please ask. It won't hurt my feelings at all.

Thanks in advance, fella's.

Last edited by Karpathion; 07-21-2016 at 12:31 PM.