Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   Do-It-yourself Section (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   ?interior paint? (https://moparforums.com/forums/f6/interior-paint-2562/)

mike639 03-17-2009 09:21 PM

?interior paint?

hey guys i need some advice on this one. next week i am going to start pulling the interior panels of my 73 satellite. its currently yellow and i want to switch it to black. i want to do the work myself to save some cash. what paint do i need and how do i go about applying it? parts of the panels are plastic and some are vinyl, so can i use the same paint/dye for both? any point in the right direction will be appreciated

66sportfury 03-17-2009 10:05 PM

ive used vinyl dyes and wasnt impressed to say the least. i sanded the panel down and the dye still flaked off. maybe make your own? with fiberflass and masonite?

Polaradude 03-18-2009 02:33 AM

I just saw a new product from Dupli-color for interior and upholstery in a rattle can. They have different colors. I don't now much more than that but the demo was cool.

Commando 03-18-2009 05:40 AM

I seen the product as well, I have heard that it's great from some of the customers who bought it, but some people don't like the idea of it so they don't buy it and think it's no good.

69Fury3 03-18-2009 02:37 PM

Iv'e used the black spray dye on vinyl and have no complaints about it.

hypermite 03-18-2009 04:36 PM

Preparation is the key, be sure everything is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN ! I use mild dish soap in warm water, & a soft bristle brush, or clean washcloth, after everything is dry, wipe the parts down with isopropyl alcohol, & dry them with a lint free cloth. after that DON'T touch any of the surfaces to be painted ! otherwise you will have fish eyes galore ! When possible I like to hang the parts up ( string, coat-hanger, etc.) that way you can walk around the part as you're painting, & get better coverage. Good Luck !

ryan_e 03-18-2009 07:01 PM

i bought some vinyl spray paint a while back and it worked for me

hypermite 03-19-2009 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://Scamp sw 031 This is a shot of the steering wheel I installed today, It was sort of a faded greenish gold before I painted it, with a little effort it turned out pretty good!

Crazy4Carz.Com 03-19-2009 06:29 PM

Go to a GOOD auto paint supplier in you area. Be very nice, and ask for lacquer. It is technically gone but the better shops still have some and will take care of people they like. If you don't know how to spray it ask an old timer they can show you. IT DOESN"T COME OFF.

roadrun383 03-21-2009 02:49 PM

I would use a dupli-color product make sure you scuff the pieces you are painting with a grey scotch bright, you should be able to pick them up at any parts store. Also make sure you Clean the part good, you could use A wax and grease remover Dupont part number 3901, before and after scuffing, is parts are really dirty you could also use dupont's 3909.

Crazy4Carz.Com 03-22-2009 05:42 PM

Oh well, I guess if you don't care if it peels off.

hypermite 03-22-2009 06:58 PM

I wouldn't care either, As long as my car was going over 120 mph, through the air, upside-down, & on fire.

Zink 05-12-2009 12:24 AM

Ive tried Dupli-Color on previous interior projects, with the propper prepping. Still seemed to flake off. Then saw that Krylon came out with a vinyl/plastic spray. Worked good.

71 Duster 440 06-07-2009 12:46 AM

I'm surprised you guys aren't using SEM products. :confused: They're the industry standard for painting hard plastics and vinyl in custom interior shops all around the counrty. As stated earlier, preparation is KEY. I've had great success using the SEM Color Coat. It's available in a huge variety of OEM colors for many makes. AutobodyToolmart website sells the paints.

My steps have been as follows: wash the parts to be sprayed with mild dish soap and warm water, air dry, wipe with a good grease and wax remover, wash again soap and water, air dry again, grease and wax remover again, wipe with tack cloth, SEM plastic/vinyl Prep Spray, SEM Adhesion Promoter, three coats of SEM Color Coat in the finish of your choice. Be sure to let the paint cure for at least 48 hours before reinstallation.

Here are some pics of parts I've painted. Shut up, I know it's a fox body mustang. :rolleyes:

Glove Box door and handle (used to be grey):
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...nik/blk001.jpg

Completed interior (all plastics used to be grey):
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...nik/blk009.jpg

33harner 06-07-2009 08:26 AM

I've heard about the new Krylon paint, too. The ever elusive "they" says it bonds to plastic surfaces at a molecular level or something like that. I haven't used it yet, but I've heard good things about it.

71 Duster 440 06-07-2009 10:33 AM

Well, I don't have any experience with Dupli-color or Krylon, but I can attest to how well the SEM products work. I've used them in a few interiors now and they never flake, never chip, and look OEM or better.

76_roadrunner 12-27-2009 11:44 AM

I have used Dupli-color upholstery dies (paint) in rattle cans numerous times and I have had no problems. I used it several years ago on my '54 Mercury seats and it never peeled or flaked at all, they still look just like they did when I did it.

This stuff works great and if you follow the directions on the can you to will find that will last.

old tired rebel 12-27-2009 01:06 PM

I used Krylon before followed the direction on the can. It still came off.

76_roadrunner 12-27-2009 09:37 PM

Krylon makes a great paint if you are doing hobbies and crafts, but I have never had any success with their vinyl paints. Dupli-color vinyl dies and paints are flexible and they expand and contract with the cold and heat.

mopardrt 02-07-2010 09:55 AM

For my dart I used plastic specical paint from duplicolor sold in all autozones and orileys/murrys worked good so far for my dart i went from green to black and it matched up pretty good with the original black in the car, just make sure you wash the pieces ur painting down real good, then dry paint and repeat :) p.s all black interior pieces were sprayed sating black by mamopar

volaredon 02-07-2010 01:51 PM

I have been wondering about this as well; I have a buddy with a 70 Cuda convertible; nice car except all the peeling paint on the interior plastic. If I cant find a factory console for my Volare in the right color I might be forced to dye the one I have. and teh color I need is lighter than the color it is molded in.

samuelcosmo76 02-07-2010 03:05 PM

i saw an episode of Stacy David's Gears, and he used a 3M adhesion promoter (i think) and vinyl paint. Anyway, its probably worth it to look online for that episode, because it looked really nice when he was done with it.

old tired rebel 02-08-2010 02:52 PM

Try SEM from Eastwood

mopardrt 02-08-2010 03:38 PM

as long as the part your painting is plastic and you clean it really good then there should be no problem as long as you use a good plastic paint and coat it 2 or 3 times

Cracocuda 02-11-2010 04:15 PM

Interior Job

Vinyl Spray Paint and a clean ,clean,clean panel,worked for me.:)

rdrunner1974 03-03-2010 05:28 PM

Go with the Sem and the prep as suggested. I would use rattle can enamel on the metal. I have used vinyl spray on metal and it does not adhere well.

Furytom 03-03-2010 06:21 PM

I didnt even think about painting the interior. Thanks guys! All this new options for my interior. Like I could make it black now. Or black. Or maybe even dark black or so.:D
Thanks for all the great knowledge!

Agile 03-03-2010 06:44 PM

OR what you can do is go to a junk yard or something and pick up a dash that is similar and cut it into chunks and try different products and see which one comes out the best before doing your own