440 rod bearings

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
440 rod bearings

I ordered new rod bearings for my 73 440 engine they look different from the ones I took off. There looks to be a oil path on the end of the rod as you look at it. So there is a small notch at the end of the bearings aparently some oil travels throught it to get some oil to the bearing. The new bearings dont have that notch at the end of the bearing. Do I carefully notch the end or what is recommended thanks
Old 12-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Pictures ??? If the bearing does not have the locating tang ?? I would send them back. The notch locates the bearing in the rod, without the tang it will spin in the journal. The rod is lubed thru the rod journal on the crank Not thru the rod. The rod may have a small hole to splash oil on the cyl wall if that is what you are referring to

Last edited by TVLynn; 12-30-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
The tang TV is talking about is like a square dent on the end of the bearing where the two halves meet, do you have those? The pathway and notch your talking about is to spray a small amount of oil on the cylinder wall each rotation. I have received bearings like that and hand filed the notch in myself. Be sure they fit with mikes or plastigage before you start filing. If I remember correctly the cross-drilled oil hole from the main journal up to the rod journal lines up with that notch, oil pathway and sprays across to the opposite cylinder to cool and lubricate.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:59 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Coronet 500
The tang TV is talking about is like a square dent on the end of the bearing where the two halves meet, do you have those? The pathway and notch your talking about is to spray a small amount of oil on the cylinder wall each rotation. I have received bearings like that and hand filed the notch in myself. Be sure they fit with mikes or plastigage before you start filing. If I remember correctly the cross-drilled oil hole from the main journal up to the rod journal lines up with that notch, oil pathway and sprays across to the opposite cylinder to cool and lubricate.
Yes that is exactly my situation i have the square tang but not the notch on the other end. Is all 440's like that i wonder how many people put them in with out the notch and what happens cause the main oil comes from the crank. Thanks very much for the information its nice to have an expert who knows what there doing. have a good day.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
Hole or no hole but both halves have the locating tangs. I get the Clevite H series bearings.
Attached Thumbnails 440 rod bearings-cle-cb527hnd10_w.jpg   440 rod bearings-cle-cb527p10_w.jpg  
Old 04-27-2012, 07:37 PM

Hi, I'm new here. I'm not a mechanic but want to be one. I'm computer and pos service engineer by profession. I'm trying to repair or rebuild my 4G13 engine. Start reading service manuals and I want to know more details of car engine.

I'm curious on this thread about this Tang in crankshaft bearing. What is it purpose? Was it for oil trap for lubrication or just a marker? Do it need to be Tang hole in-line to each other to trap more oil? My crankshaft bearing tang was not align. Does it the reason that my oil was turn black after few months of usage due to lack of lubrication?
Old 04-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Kokonuts
Hi, I'm new here. I'm not a mechanic but want to be one. I'm computer and pos service engineer by profession. I'm trying to repair or rebuild my 4G13 engine. Start reading service manuals and I want to know more details of car engine.

I'm curious on this thread about this Tang in crankshaft bearing. What is it purpose? Was it for oil trap for lubrication or just a marker? Do it need to be Tang hole in-line to each other to trap more oil? My crankshaft bearing tang was not align. Does it the reason that my oil was turn black after few months of usage due to lack of lubrication?
The tangs are to locate the bearing and keep it from spinning. There are teardrop slits in the connecting rods that squirt oil on the opposing connecting rods.