86 dodge ram w150

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 dodge ram w150

Alright i was wondering if 4&5 point harnesses are legal for street use in ohio?cant find it anywhere on the net. And a second thought of my is has anyone ever took the bench seat out and put buckets in i understand that u would have to mke. Mount/bracket to repace the bench with the bucket seat ad wondering if anyone has replaced them... i wantto replace the seat belts with 5 point harnesses bc there safer and it would just be that much more updated on the inside ...... let me know if u have any knowledge to help me with my idea ,THANKS
Old 11-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
I'm not the expert ! To do it properly you would have to put some type of cross bar/ roll bar in the cab at the proper height. to attach the belts too. The laws ? Just say that seat belts are mandatory. I doubt a cop would question you about them as long as they were in use.. I did have a 4 point in my Hot Rod Dodge so ??? For the seats I would look for a set of buckets from a Pickup./ You might be able to adapt a set of seats from a conversion Van ??
Old 11-18-2012, 05:34 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
I agree the should harness should be mounted a bit lower then the should height so you cannot be thrown upward so you should have some crossbar to mount to .
I was stopped in my racecar on the street & asked about seatbelts & showed them 5 of them , no issues !!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:01 PM

Do u know any mounts that i could put in my truck to level the racing bucket seat maybe match the current bolt pattern or some what close? THANKS
Old 11-18-2012, 06:23 PM
PK1
Mopar Lover

Received 106 Likes on 104 Posts
I have done bench to bucket conversions many times. Easiest way to do it is to use the feet of the bench on the DS and PS side and mock up with square tube stock then you can mount your bucket to the tube and 9 times out of 10 the OE feet you reuse from the bench have the right angle. You just adjust final seat positions based on how far the seat adjusts. I mostly used imports on these conversions but if you are doing your truck look for seats with the belts built into the shoulder of the seat and you just made life easy if you need an OE alternative.

If you keep the OE feet and there pickup point / bolts locations I don't think that will be a safety issue with MOT or DOT stuff.

As for "legal" harness... Just don't remove the 3 point belts you have. You can add all you want for additional safety.

You DEFINITELY need a cross bar and it MUST never be below the shoulder line of the driver or you will have spine compression on belt activation. BAD!!!

Jump over to pro-touring site or the circle track forums and look at their charts. They will have tubing minimums for tensile strength and some design dimensions. Most use the harness so just find a tested design you like and follow there lead.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:41 PM

I am putting import racing seats with 5 point harnesses u can get bolt in harnesses and harnesses that u have t wrap and use the seat mounts and a cage but i dont want to put a cage in
Old 11-21-2012, 07:55 PM
PK1
Mopar Lover

Received 106 Likes on 104 Posts
You don't need a cage. Simple make a modified bar that goes from B pillar to b B pillar. You can pin it so its removable. I'm assuming you are doing an off road build that you will run on the street. Smart move with the harness. Ive been inverted before and it sucked. But the builder who showed me used the correct tube, single piece and proper thickness with proper welds at the mount points and I was fine. Scared..... but walked away. Remember if she rolls hands off the wheel and across the chest... Big tires and power steering breaks thumbs and wrists quick when force is applied from the opposite end if you are holding the wheel.