Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   Engine Identification (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/engine-identification-2834/)

sgp7679 04-18-2009 11:55 PM

Engine Identification

How can I tell what engine I have? Im pretty sure its a 318 but I want to know for sure. I looked everywhere for a vin but theres no markings on the engine anywhere. Not even firing order or timing marks.its rear distributed.

theomahamoparguy 04-19-2009 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by sgp7679 (Post 17828)
How can I tell what engine I have? Im pretty sure its a 318 but I want to know for sure. I looked everywhere for a vin but theres no markings on the engine anywhere. Not even firing order or timing marks.its rear distributed.

there should be numbers cast [stamped?] into the side of the block on the A motors.
They are in the vicinity of the core plugs [above them i believe]
They should be located on the left side, just below the cylinder head.
If it is the original 65 motor and is a polysphere, then it will be a 318 because the 273 motors were not polysphere motors,
Number should read something like "A-318-1-8.."

Polaradude 04-19-2009 03:19 AM

If it's the original motor in the car the first digit on the door post tag will tell ya. If its a 4 than its a slant six coronet, if its a w than its a v8 coronet in 65.
But like omaha says the numbers should be where he says they are or just above the oil pan rail on the block on the left hand side. Let us know what ya find.

sgp7679 04-19-2009 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Polaradude (Post 17837)
If it's the original motor in the car the first digit on the door post tag will tell ya. If its a 4 than its a slant six coronet, if its a w than its a v8 coronet in 65.
But like omaha says the numbers should be where he says they are or just above the oil pan rail on the block on the left hand side. Let us know what ya find.

well it has a w and i already knew its a v8, but i want to know what size.

Polaradude 04-19-2009 10:39 AM

Well, like Omaha said, get more #'s.