How do you clean/wash your hot rod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you clean/wash your hot rod?

Did a search for this subject and found this topic, https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/k...rs-clean-7252/ which is a few years old. Thought I'd try and see if anyone has anything new or what ever.

My brother always used to use just Windex and a towel on whole car and I've done my car that way a couple of times and it looks alright.

I'd prefer to give it a good washing with soap and water but we all know what water does to metal!

Also, what about the under body? Does anyone use a drive through car wash that sprays there. Always thought that would be as bad as driving the car in the winter with salt on the road as I don't know how often they change water in those places or how they're filtering of stuff works, so it would have all the crap from people's cars from the winter just getting recirculated in it!

Thanks
Old 07-20-2015, 08:17 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Car soap and water here....
Pressure wash the under carriage....
I like http://www.z-bestcarwax.com/
Great for Classic's and Hot Rods...

But then again I am in SO-CAL !!!!!!
Old 07-21-2015, 04:14 AM
Mopar Fan

So, how would some one pressure wash the under carriage if they have no way of getting under car?
Old 07-21-2015, 08:04 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
cork -

I rarely use water on my car. The holes in the hood and abundance of moldings (water traps) preclude that. Once or twice a year, I rub/buff it down with a good cleaner. Been using Meguire's Ultimate Compound lately (but I think they are all about the same), followed by a good wax.

The best results I've gotten were with Turtle Wax's Black Box products (black car, obviously), but it was a good good 5 - 6 hour job.

MY daily driver gets hosed down, washed and waxed with a cleaner wax.

The Griots detailer is the best I've found for quick touch ups.

Archer
Old 08-01-2015, 05:16 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Haven't washed my car in four years, with water that is. Picking up the deposits on the surface and scrubbing them into the paint with a wash glove or brush is akin to taking 2000 wet/dry sandpaper to the paint. I dust it lightly with my California duster and clean with a rinseless product made by McGuires. Then I follow up with a quality detailers spray that contains wax and emulsifiers ( in case there's bird sh&t present). Once a year, after cleaning and before storage I apply "Insulator" wax. The car is clay barred immediately after coming out of storage.I only use microfiber towels from Costco being sure to remove the labels to prevent minor scratches, and they will. "Cookie Monster" towels are larger and great for drying or polishing and can be bought online at most detailing outlets. In the event of light scratches I use 3M professional compounds which are graded just like sandpaper only really fine. If $30 bucks a bottle doesn't scare you buy Menzerna's compounds and kiss the swirls goodbye. I have three grades. You've heard the words "Black cars look better in the shade", mine looks good anywhere and no swirls in the paint. Remember you don't get the good products at a cheap price but you can get the crap look just about anywhere discount products are sold. I have two laundry bags hanging in the garage - one for clean unused micros and one for dirty, The towels only get used once per session and switched very often during the process. You just can't clean or polish a car with just one cloth. I may sound a bit **** but my paint job cost good bucks and I'll be damned if I'm going to be the one to ruin it through lack of thought.

Last edited by Rooty; 08-01-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Originally Posted by cork1958
So, how would some one pressure wash the under carriage if they have no way of getting under car?
Well Then..... I suppose you just wont get to do that then.....

P.S..... http://www.mohawklifts.com/wp/consum...fts/mp_series/
As a suggestion.... I have these in my Shop.... But if you find someone that will let you can use them. They Work great... Pressure wash away !!!!

Last edited by RacerHog; 08-01-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:30 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Rooty
Haven't washed my car in four years, with water that is. Picking up the deposits on the surface and scrubbing them into the paint with a wash glove or brush is akin to taking 2000 wet/dry sandpaper to the paint. I dust it lightly with my California duster and clean with a rinseless product made by McGuires. Then I follow up with a quality detailers spray that contains wax and emulsifiers ( in case there's bird sh&t present). Once a year, after cleaning and before storage I apply "Insulator" wax. The car is clay barred immediately after coming out of storage.I only use microfiber towels from Costco being sure to remove the labels to prevent minor scratches, and they will. "Cookie Monster" towels are larger and great for drying or polishing and can be bought online at most detailing outlets. In the event of light scratches I use 3M professional compounds which are graded just like sandpaper only really fine. If $30 bucks a bottle doesn't scare you buy Menzerna's compounds and kiss the swirls goodbye. I have three grades. You've heard the words "Black cars look better in the shade", mine looks good anywhere and no swirls in the paint. Remember you don't get the good products at a cheap price but you can get the crap look just about anywhere discount products are sold. I have two laundry bags hanging in the garage - one for clean unused micros and one for dirty, The towels only get used once per session and switched very often during the process. You just can't clean or polish a car with just one cloth. I may sound a bit **** but my paint job cost good bucks and I'll be damned if I'm going to be the one to ruin it through lack of thought.
I have a California duster and have used the rinseless product by McGuires and that does work great.

Have a ton of micro fiber towels that I get from a buddy who works at place that makes mirrors for Ford and Cadillac. They come with no labels on them already. He has to repair them from scratches and stuff. Wish I could get him to get me some of the rubbing/buffing compound he uses on those!

Thanks for the replies folks and anyone else that feels like replying still, feel free to!

My car looks mighty good white, but I know it doesn't take squat to put a scratch in the paint!

Last edited by cork1958; 08-03-2015 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rat Wax!

Www.ratwax.net