Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   Which Key? Ignition or Trunk... (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/key-ignition-trunk-8344/)

twalace 12-29-2010 10:11 AM

Which Key? Ignition or Trunk...

Bought a 66 Dart with two keys, one opens the trunk & one works in the ignition. My question is which one is also to operate the doors from the factory as neither of them seem to be working...

blue 68 gts 12-29-2010 10:53 AM

The ignition key is the same for the doors. It could be possible its had the locks changed or the ignition changed.

The trunk key is all by itself

Archer 12-29-2010 11:51 AM

T -

The ignition/door key should have a pentagon head, the trunk key has a round head.

Like blue said, the cylinders might have been changed or he had new keys made.

Archer

440roadrunner 12-29-2010 04:53 PM

Or they might just be really badly gummed up. I'd try a squirt of just about anything that won't hurt the paint, including 'ol WD

John Van 12-29-2010 06:19 PM

If the key still won't work,just take out the door lock cylinders and bring them to your local locksmith.They can be keyed to fit your key.

BuckNeccid 12-30-2010 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by John Van (Post 60733)
If the key still won't work,just take out the door lock cylinders and bring them to your local locksmith.They can be keyed to fit your key.

Or, if you feel lucky, you can just pull the door locks and look at the sides. There's a flat plate that has like 4 prongs holding it on. Pop that plate off, remove the flat inserts, and you instanly have the locks working with any key. Most people won't just randomly walk up and try keys to see if they fit, so once you lock them, people just assume the doors are locked.

The inserts are numbered, and if you have one lock that works, and one that doesn't, you can use that to change the tumblers to the correct ones if you have a supply of inserts. I did that on one of my b-bodies, many years ago, but the last 3 I've built, I just pulled the tumblers, and never had anyone open the doors.

twalace 01-22-2011 08:48 AM

Great info! Took your idea but didn't feel safe with removing all the tumblers as you can just unlock the door with anything. I pulled all the pins and set three of the five to work with my key so I have more security.