Mopar Diamond in the Rough?

Old 10-04-2009, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Mopar Diamond in the Rough?

When looking for your next project, it is very obvious which Mopars are the most collectable, by the asking prices folks think they can garnish for their personal piles of rust, but my question is:

What does the forum think is the most underestimated and undervalued (fairly priced) Mopar to restore?

I guess this decision would have to also consider the availability of spare parts – cheap car but no available spares still equals an expensive rebuild!

So what do you think is the next “Mopar Diamond in the Rough”?

Last edited by supercharged; 10-04-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have to say the 71-72 roadrunners
Lil Red Express trucks are cool too.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
X2 on the 71-72 RR's. With the introduction of replacement 1/4s, available now, the restoration becomes a more doable project.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Worst part of the '72 Bird... the price of the grill (sigh) Best part of the '72 bird... second lowest production numbers of all the birds out there.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Little Demon

my opinion: 76-80 Dodge Aspens and Plymouth Volares. Fairly decent RWDs and many can still be found all original with low miles for a great deal
Old 10-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Mopar Lover

I agree with devel. for the cheapest priced fixer . id say the f-n j bodies will hit next. you can get them w/ v-8`s, the longitudinal bar sus. is a plus. and there re still alot of them to be had for body parts and otherwise.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by supercharged
When looking for your next project, it is very obvious which Mopars are the most collectable, by the asking prices folks think they can garnish for their personal piles of rust, but my question is:

What does the forum think is the most underestimated and undervalued (fairly priced) Mopar to restore?

I guess this decision would have to also consider the availability of spare parts – cheap car but no available spares still equals an expensive rebuild!

So what do you think is the next “Mopar Diamond in the Rough”?

I posted an answer to a similar question back in February. I just looked up that post and have cut and pasted it here:

First find a car you honestly love. This is extremely important, if there is any doubt that you like it (love it) you will never finish the project and it will bitter you for future projects.

Second find a car that runs/drives. This way you can drive and enjoy the car as you work on it. This is very important especially for your first project. You will less likely become overwhelmed and abandon the project. Also if it does run/drive and you become disappointed with the progress or the final/partial outcome you will still have a sell-able car that you will be more likely to sell and recoup some of your investment.

Thirdly, buy something you can afford and something that will allow you to have discretionary spending for modifications and improvements to the car.

Fourth, while everyone on these forums will agree that a MOPAR is the best choice in a classic or muscle car, choose something for your first car that will be the most marketable. (in the event you decide this is not for you) Example, not everyone is in love with a Rambler.

Lastly, forget ever getting the money you put into a car back out. All the new parts you install and all the money you invest are now used parts and attached to a car that somebody before you didn't want to fix, and that you now are selling because for what ever reason you don't want it either. It will bring the most money finished, so don't be afraid to keep putting money in so that you are able to get any of your money back.

The cost to restore a car is almost the same regardless of the model. For example, it doesn't cost any more to restore a 'Cuda than to restore a Dart.

Engine? It doesn't know what car it is getting installed into, = Same
Paint? Cost is the same to paint a 'Cuda as a Dart = Same
Transmission? Same for a Dart as a 'Cuda = Same
Interior? Just about the same
Rear? Same

Which one has more value when finished? Not the same any more right?

Good luck with whatever vehicle you choose. Remeber, the cheaper the car is at the begining, the cheaper it will be when finished.