Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   Mopar Motors what are hot (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/mopar-motors-what-hot-461/)

runninbird 11-18-2007 05:29 PM

Mopar Motors what are hot

I have recently came across a couple of old mopar cars out in the woods one containing a 440 which is very nice and a 318 my questions is a 318 somthing people want is it a motor people put in there cars or should i just leave it be i know i am taking the 440 i just thought about the 318 for resale is it worth it lets have your opinion it will be helpful

440roadrunner 11-18-2007 06:12 PM

You didn't say the make and models. Because of the unprecedented rstoration around the world--many many US muscle cars have made it "over" to parts of Europe--even though a 318 isn't a real performance engine, it still has value.

What year and model are these cars? The older so called "poly" 318 is enjoying some resurgance, probably because of the internet.

Don't discount the bodies, either. There may be lots of good parts that people are looking for

runninbird 11-19-2007 07:20 AM

The one car mopar is a dodge corenet about late 60's its a station wagon model never have seen one like it thats the one with the 440 the other is a plymouth Van i think it has the 318 its a 76 or 77

440roadrunner 11-19-2007 10:03 AM

I guess my first question is "how do you know it's a 440?"

Don't discount the body parts off that coronet. The front clip, dash parts, hardware, etc is worth money to restorer's if it's in any kind of shape.

runninbird 11-19-2007 04:27 PM

I could get to the motor in the coronet and i decoded the vin the van how ever i cant get to the motor and i cant decode the vin because it keeps saying its a barracuda and im guessing its a 318 i cant amagine anything else being in the van besides a 318 im sure its not a 340 because i have one of those in the garage and it dont look like one

440roadrunner 11-19-2007 08:59 PM

My question is, "how did you decide this is a 440?" That is, what did you look at on the engine, and how do you know?

So far as the 318, you can't really tell, except by the number on the front of the block. No 340's were ever built with a 2bbl at the factory, but you never know what someone might have thrown together. It might be a 360, though. All three engines "look the same" from 5 ft away or so.

runninbird 11-20-2007 06:44 AM

well i know the van has a four barrel carb in the back but i will try to see if i can get some numbers off the motor this weekend ill be gone until sunday The 440 i got the info from the vin and by the looks these cars were never messed with so im sure they are the original motors and transmissions ill probably have to take the front end of the van apart to see

runninbird 11-25-2007 12:44 PM

well i continued my investigation and found out that the motor in the plymouth van was a 318 my grandpa was a car builder back in the day and could quickly pick out the numbers on the motor and decided it was a 318 is it worth the trouble taking the front end of the van apart to take the motor it seems that it is clean and could possibly start up with a few minor adjustments but i dont know if a 318 is worth building or reselling