Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   Mopar Performance Ignition (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/mopar-performance-ignition-2419/)

hemi01charger 02-26-2009 05:44 PM

Mopar Performance Ignition

I'm having problems starting my 1969 Dodge Charger. When its cranking it seems that its not getting spark until I let go of the key and sometimes it will catch and run and other times not. When it doesn't catch it seems it coughs through the carb right when the key clicks to the off position. Needeless to say it floods very easily. Just recently built a 440 for it and everything under the hood is new. I upgraded to the Mopar Performance Ignition, new engine harness, new Mopar Performance coil. Any suggestions would be appreciated

johnthegoalie 02-26-2009 07:58 PM

sounds like when i converted over to electronic - turns out the magnetic pickup piece - the actual piece with the wires was defective. turns out it is a real common part.

78D200 02-27-2009 02:02 AM

Do you know that it is not getting spark? I would check your timing as well.

Polaradude 02-27-2009 02:30 AM

Ya I agree with Tim, if shes burpin' back through the carb it sounds like plug wires are mixed up or timing.

hemi01charger 02-27-2009 04:45 AM

timing is fine and when i do get it started she runs perfect. one thing i failed to mention in my post was if i run a hot wire from my battery to the power side going in on the ballast she fires right up when i crank it ?????

78D200 02-27-2009 05:27 AM

Did you pull a plug to see if there was fuel on it? If so, with what you just said, it sounds to me like you've got an issue (bad wire) with the wire going to the ballast resistor. Or the ballast could be restricting the power going through and you need extra to push it through.

Follow the wire that goes into the ballast and see where it leads. You may find your problem along the way.

Cudafever 02-27-2009 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by hemi01charger (Post 13802)
timing is fine and when i do get it started she runs perfect. one thing i failed to mention in my post was if i run a hot wire from my battery to the power side going in on the ballast she fires right up when i crank it ?????

Hmmmm been a long time since i wired up my Elec. Ign in my Cuda.......But, in Crank mode, Doesn't voltage bypass the ballast resister. And in the run mode, runs thru the ballast.

With you saying, that adding power or a jumper to the ballast, make me thing you have a Resistance( other then the ballast) that is not getting the full voltage to it.

I know my old 73 pick up, that only get run once a year ( for wood, it gets cold in Wy:p) will not start most of the time at first. Water runs under the hood and rusts the ballast connectors, Pull then off and back on several times and she starts right up.

I would suggest doing that and also checking were you spliced in to the factory wiring........Over the years corrosion could have gotten in there but hidden by the tape...................

Cudafever 02-27-2009 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by 78D200 (Post 13804)
Did you pull a plug to see if there was fuel on it? If so, with what you just said, it sounds to me like you've got an issue (bad wire) with the wire going to the ballast resistor. Or the ballast could be restricting the power going through and you need extra to push it through.

Follow the wire that goes into the ballast and see where it leads. You may find your problem along the way.

Sorry just skimmed thru you post before i added mine.......kind said the same thing:D

hemi01charger 02-28-2009 09:49 AM

Talked to M&H Electric which manufacture the new replacement engine harnesses for Year One and found out the wiring that Mopar supplies with there electronic ignition kits is wrong. The way Mopar wants you to splice into your existing engine harness is not correct and the only way to tap into the J3 circuit would be hacking your harness up. Only soulution M&H gave me and they guaranteed it would work is to order a modified engine harness through Year One which has all the connections already made into it for the Mopar electronic ignition. Or for guys out there that want to keep there existing points style engine harness, they make a adaptor harness that is plug and play, that way there is no splicing into the harness like Mopar wants you to do, and if you ever want to go back to a points system you just simply unplug the adaptor harness. The part # for the adaptor harness for 69 B body cars with a big block is HU499. Hope this information helps anyone that came across my post expericeing the same problems I'm having.

Polaradude 02-28-2009 11:58 AM

Cool, thanks for the info, never heard of that before.

78D200 02-28-2009 12:22 PM

good research hemi! THats great to know for people that could have the same problem in the future .