Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   Oil filter wars. (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/oil-filter-wars-2641/)

theomahamoparguy 03-28-2009 05:37 PM

Oil filter wars.

:pThought I might start a discussion {argument}.

What is the best brand of oil filter?

I was about to replace my oil filter and bought a FRAM.
My bud just about told me I should considered mentally challenged.
I told him he was mentally challenged for owning a chevy and put on
the FRAM filter anyway.
I thought FRAM filters were considered to be of a decent quality.
All opinions welcome.

Polaradude 03-29-2009 02:38 AM

They're all basically the same until you get into the aftermarket or industrial filters. I do like the ones with the nut on the arse of them though and that traction goo that fram puts on theirs. There's nothing worse when working on a friends car than having to pound a lrg screwdriver through a filter to get it off.

78D200 03-29-2009 04:52 AM

I've always used fram and never had a problem. I also use Wix on my j10 and those are good as well.

I've heard stories about people having issues with a certain brand of filters and they boycot them after that.

Commando 03-29-2009 05:56 AM

There is a good website out there that has this exact topic, forget what it was, but anyways I use Wix. Fram is decent, but from the people who come into the shop they have a lot of ones that blow apart, the filter material, I assume that they are overused or something. There are a few brands out there that over filter and cause the flow of oil to go down, these are prone to coming apart.

TCPMeta 03-29-2009 06:06 AM

I like K&N filters. has a 1inch nut welded on for easy install and removal. Also I found out I can use a oversized filter from a Ford 302 5.0L on my 3.5L high output.

67 GTX 03-29-2009 08:24 AM

i have used fram, and never had a problem, even witha high pressure oil pump, with the filter bolted directly on it

mitchs66 03-29-2009 11:10 AM

I've been selling parts for almost 9 years out of 2 different stores selling many different brands of filters, my dad ran a garage most of my childhood and I've only seen a problem with an oil filter twice...first was a '85 dodge truck with a fresh overhauld 360 and fram filter, the filter came apart pluged the oil ways and spun a rod bearing. The customer had a good machine shop rebuild the engine and had all the tickets, and fram reembursed them the money (good on there part in my book). Second was a wix filter on a race car, the oil was 50w and the filter twisted the inside apart and the filter was like my daughter's ratle when it was removed. The engine had a high volume oil pump and thick oil running lots of high rpms, the wix reps said this is what the wix racing filters are to used with, not a standard wix filter. I'd say run what you like, i like Napa golds (wix), and a friend of mine with a '79 mustang and crate 514 always runs fram. I think the key thing is to stay up on oil changes...just my 2 cents.

hypermite 03-29-2009 12:03 PM

I use Motorcraft filters on my 2 Fords, & Wix on my Mopars, when I worked at a diesel repair shop, I would order a case of "Fleetguard" filters for my Mopars,(They were super inexpensive with the employee discount) We never had an issue with them, and they are at least as good as the Wix filters.

Red Devil 03-29-2009 01:16 PM

y'all know I don't have any mopars, only chevys so I use AC Delco

Polaradude 03-29-2009 04:10 PM

I have heard good things about the new Royal Purple oil filters, they have that new glass medium filter material in them, don't know a whole lot about them technically but I heard they were good.:D

theomahamoparguy 03-29-2009 07:14 PM

Hey thanks guys, Think I might try a Wix next time.

craveman 03-29-2009 08:10 PM

you would be suprised how many different brands of oil filters are made in the same factory. a lot of brands use the same filter and put their name on it.

rr69half6bbl 03-30-2009 03:50 AM

cravemans right. alot of products are done in the same place w/ diff. manuf. putting their own labels on them.When I was a teeneager, i worked in a grocery store. 1 day stocking shelves we got a load of green giant veggies in, 1 of the wrappers was messed up. so i pulled it off, here it had like 3 other brand labels wrapped up under the green giant label. all of them new. same w/ antifreeze, only 2 glycol plants I know of. they put the blend in diff. containers for the various com. like prestone, napa, etc. On oil filters, I use the napa gold have for yrs. never had a prob. you have good luck w/ something you stay w/ it.

Commando 03-30-2009 05:31 AM

I believe there are only 2 or 3 filter plants out there that are the big names.