Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   "The one that got away" stories (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/one-got-away-stories-2832/)

hypermite 04-18-2009 08:31 PM

"The one that got away" stories

Ok, I know every body's got one, You know, The cool old car that you could have gotten for dirt cheap way back when, and you've been kicking yourself ever since? I'll start. I was living in California back in 1988, I went to look at a car I saw in a classified ad. It was a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport 340, the engine had just been rebuilt, it had console shifted 727, bucket seats & a factory sunroof ! The black interior was cherry & body was in primer, ready for paint, with 14" Craigar mags. 1800 bucks or best offer. FACEPALM ! FACEPALM ! FACEPALM ! Alright people, let's hear 'em.

sgp7679 04-18-2009 11:40 PM

i got one, there was a 65' coronet and it needed some work. I saw it online and went to go look at it and it was love at first sight. My dad said it might be too much work but I didnt care. We went home so my parents could think about it. He had it listed at $950. I called the next week and he said some guys were on their way right then to buy it. Sad story. :(

oh i forgot to mention that I burnt rubber and beat the guys there and offered the guy $800. SOLD, my new ride. no regret.

BuckNeccid 04-19-2009 01:51 AM

Little cross roads callled Lecta Ohio, I look up the hill beside the road at the cows in the pasture, and spot a bronze 69 road runner sitting in the middle of all them. Park, climb over the fence, up the hill, and about pee'd myself when I saw HEMI on the hood scoops. Checked the engine, 383 :( , checked the numbers on the dash, RM21J, Oh YEA!... No rust, car had never been painted, just aged. I chased the owner down, and made a deal to buy the car for $600 (1985). Left to go get the money, which took about 3 hours), and passed the car on a trailer as I was on my way back to pick it up. Someone else had found it in that short a time, and bought it.

rr69half6bbl 04-25-2009 12:12 AM

in 99, I bought my super bird from a guy n a field out in the country, was loading it up and asked him about a fairlane sitting next to my bird. it was a 67 gta. 390 4gear car, hugger blue, all numbers, counsole , wanted 1500 for it, it ran, I passed on it, told a guy about it a few wks, later, then thought about it some more, called the gy back to buy it, just sold it, the guy said you told him about it, i got 1200 for it. DOHHHH. bought a rough but complete 71 gtx, was 4 gear changed to auto, was numbers car, 440 and dana. ran great, body needed attn. boned it out, found out later that it was 1 of 74 4spds w/ options. think it had a/c. this was 97. man this 1 still makes me sick, a buddy and I boned out a 69 runner we bought together in like 89, we cut the roof off it for a guy that had an a-12 runner 4 gear,tree fell on it . later the next month my buddy says yeah, so n so sold the runner at the swap meet for 3500 bucks, had an orig, 6 bbl motor from another wrecked runner, and trans, and dana, let the roof go with it, a new rad support, and alot of spare parts, I got sick, I couldve bought it, and passed on it, didnt know the drive line went with it.

wntmy70cudabk 04-25-2009 12:38 AM

back in 1987 a buddy told me about a 1970 383 cuda some kid was selling for $ 300 bucks and it ran! it was in pretty rough shape but the body was very staight and the motor was strong, he even gave me a weiand tunnel ram with it lol. i did buy it, rebuilt the motor and before i could do anything else to her i was shipped to korea for 9 months because i was in the airforce at the time. after the tour my family and i were sent to california for 2 years ( the cuda was at my mother in law's in phx). so, after leaving the service in '91 i was under pressure from my wife ( now ex lol ) and her mom to sell the cuda " you kids need the money more than that peice of junk sittin there" ended up selling it to a buddy for $ 650!!! god i was stupid and yes ive been kickin myself in the nuts ( i'm limber lol) for 17 agonizing years and i need cuda therapy :(