Saginaw or federal pump for a 383 in a 70' e body ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saginaw or federal pump for a 383 in a 70' e body ?

Alright guys. This is some thing that has been really holding me back for a while on my 70 challenger. I'm building a 383 for it currently and before my dad passed he put a 340 in it. I'm trying to figure out the whole power steering situation. It had the federal pump with the 340 in it and I am wondering if that is the type of pump the car came with from the factory. The car is a 70' challenger r/t SE and had a 383 bb from the factory. I believe it came with the Saginaw pump (I have several) from the factory from looking at photos of restored 383 magnums in a 70' e body... But it seems the main restoration parts on sites only sell the power steering hoses for a 70' e body 383 with the federal pump... Did the big blocks even come with the federal pump for that car that year? I'm leaning more towards the Saginaw not only because I'm believing it's what the came with but because I've heard some trash about the federal pumps not keeping up and going out. So I'm asking y'all what y'all think before I go start spending money on the wrong part. I'm not too worried about originality,because the car is never going to be sold.. I just want the better pump and I would rather have the Saginaw because one of the pumps I had on my parts shelf had the big block brackets so all I need is the bolts,hoses (if I can find them) and a rebuild kit for the pump. Let me know yalls opinions and yalls setup. Any help is greatly appreciated (ps, I'm 15 y/o doing this on my own with the knowledge of the Internet and all the stuff my dad taught me,so please bare with me)
Old 01-09-2016, 06:23 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
My 65 came with a Federal pump but I changed out for a Saginaw because it mounted lower and in my opinion their the better pumps. You can pretty much swap any Saginaw for any existing Saginaw and their a dime a dozen in the auto recyclers. Their easy to modify for pressure output and parts are readily available very cheaply. I run both power steering and hydroboost off the same Saginaw pump and it certainly does not have any issues keeping up with the hydraulic demands. Mounting it was very easy. I did have to change out the fluid return housing on my steering box because the Federal used a 3/4 return to the pump and the Saginaw needed only a 3/8 return. Please note that both pumps were re-plumbed to run through a cooler via the return line to keep fluid temps under control on the power steering side only.

Last edited by Rooty; 01-09-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rooty
My 65 came with a Federal pump but I changed out for a Saginaw because it mounted lower and in my opinion their the better pumps. You can pretty much swap any Saginaw for any existing Saginaw and their a dime a dozen in the auto recyclers. Their easy to modify for pressure output and parts are readily available very cheaply. I run both power steering and hydroboost off the same Saginaw pump and it certainly does not have any issues keeping up with the hydraulic demands. Mounting it was very easy. I did have to change out the fluid return housing on my steering box because the Federal used a 3/4 return to the pump and the Saginaw needed only a 3/8 return. Please note that both pumps were re-plumbed to run through a cooler via the return line to keep fluid temps under control on the power steering side only.

Ok So I'll go with the Saginaw. About the lines though, did you half to change out the pressure line along with the return line? Or did the pressure hose bolt right up and was interchangeable ? I'm not too worried about the return hose. Because if I recall the return hose for my current federal may be 3/8 or the same size as the Saginaw. And if not I'll just cut down some power steering hose that I'll go buy and fit it on with hose clamps. Also, what do you mean by the return housing on the gear box? The fitting was too big I'm assuming ? Since they made these with both pumps I'm assuming if I half too do that I can buy the housing for the Saginaw on eBay or something for a reasonable price.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:29 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
The steering box fluid return housing that the return hose connects to was originally of the larger diameter (3/4 inch). I found one online that was 3/8 inch outlet and secured by two bolts so I changed them out. Be mindful that the proper 0-ring has to be used here or it will leak where it connects - I got one from a rebuilder of brake and steering parts - it's viton. Instead of using or trying to retrofit original hoses for the pressure and return sides of the pump, I had them custom made at a hydraulics supplier using the original ends that matched the pump's outlet boss. They disassembled the original fittings from the old hose and crimped them on the new hose.The hose was excellent quality and less than the cost of buying one online. Plus the length and fit was perfect without excess hose snaking all over the engine compartment. Later Saginaws use ORB fittings (JIC style) that come in all configurations for size and angles for easy attachment without leaks. I used a company called Hose Technology for all my hoses. Pulleys are readily available in all configurations and offsets for Saginaw's but some are keyed and some just press fit. I installed a double v-groove as the belt used the rear grooves of the crank pulley and they were not easily accessible. Research the various pulley combinations for different Mopar engines to ensure proper alignment of all pulley's and the number of crank pulley grooves required. Use a piece of quality return hose that's meant for that particular purpose because you will notice that the fluid and heat cause the cheaper hose to go a bit stiff and brittle over time. I never use gear style clamps as they tend to "bunch" the hose when tightened - use the higher pressure band style that incorporate a tightening bolt ( used for high pressure fuel line ) as they secure better, look cleaner and apply even pressure on the circumference of the hose. Hose and clamps are not pricey items and well worth the investment.

Last edited by Rooty; 01-10-2016 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rooty
The steering box fluid return housing that the return hose connects to was originally of the larger diameter (3/4 inch). I found one online that was 3/8 inch outlet and secured by two bolts so I changed them out. Be mindful that the proper 0-ring has to be used here or it will leak where it connects - I got one from a rebuilder of brake and steering parts - it's viton. Instead of using or trying to retrofit original hoses for the pressure and return sides of the pump, I had them custom made at a hydraulics supplier using the original ends that matched the pump's outlet boss. They disassembled the original fittings from the old hose and crimped them on the new hose.The hose was excellent quality and less than the cost of buying one online. Plus the length and fit was perfect without excess hose snaking all over the engine compartment. Later Saginaws use ORB fittings (JIC style) that come in all configurations for size and angles for easy attachment without leaks. I used a company called Hose Technology for all my hoses. Pulleys are readily available in all configurations and offsets for Saginaw's but some are keyed and some just press fit. I installed a double v-groove as the belt used the rear grooves of the crank pulley and they were not easily accessible. Research the various pulley combinations for different Mopar engines to ensure proper alignment of all pulley's and the number of crank pulley grooves required. Use a piece of quality return hose that's meant for that particular purpose because you will notice that the fluid and heat cause the cheaper hose to go a bit stiff and brittle over time. I never use gear style clamps as they tend to "bunch" the hose when tightened - use the higher pressure band style that incorporate a tightening bolt ( used for high pressure fuel line ) as they secure better, look cleaner and apply even pressure on the circumference of the hose. Hose and clamps are not pricey items and well worth the investment.

I ended up just doing a little more research and buying the correct hose for a Saginaw ps pump in a e body. It only set me back about 2 dollars short of 20, so i hopped on it and bought it then and there to get it over with. But i am going to take your advice about getting the better clamps and some quality return hose, i also agree hose clamps a far from looking the best. Thanks for you help, its much appreciated. I have some old Year One books for chryslers my dad ordered parts out of. Need to start using those books and ordering out of those compared to ebay and the vast internet. Most of the stuff nowadays is all cheap Chinese rip-off parts, and that's the last thing i want on my car. Ive heard alot of people say year one is the best place to get oem restoration parts from, and i believe it.