Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/)
-   -   timing timing timing? (https://moparforums.com/forums/f62/timing-timing-timing-13907/)

Gorts 5th 12-17-2012 04:22 PM

timing timing timing?

1 Attachment(s)
So how this timing to advanced or retarded?
Advance the initial timing or back it off?
Add more, or take away total advance degrees?
Faster or slower curve?
coil voltage too high or too low?
plugs to hot to cold/Gap to large to small?
:)

Mallory Ignition 4257911 - Mallory Comp S/S 42 Series :dance:
Mallory Ignition 29450 - Mallory Promaster Classic Series :dance:

Chryco Psycho 12-17-2012 07:08 PM

not sure what you are asking ?

Mr.4spd 12-18-2012 03:52 AM

Are you trying to figure out why the inside of that cap looks that way? It looks normal to me.

Chryco Psycho 12-18-2012 05:26 AM

I have some clue what Comp cam you have but typically 14-18* timing at idle & 36-38* total works best for a timing curve , I disconnect the vacuum advance , high coil voltage hurts nothing except the wires if the plug gap is above .050, I can't see you plugs from here !!

Gorts 5th 12-18-2012 01:58 PM

looks like i'm running down the center on the terminals, so i can increase my total advance and back off my initial timing and increase the rate of advance.
the engine eats up rpm way fast, if i where to guess about 3-4 seconds from idle to 5500 and not even full throttle probably 3/4 throttle,
i need a shift light!
But she ping's ever so slightly just off idle cruising.
But she doesn't ping at full throttle say second at 5000+ rpm. and to tell you the truth i know the air valve is still opening when i have to shift. not like my old 650 double pumper. ehh. Chryco Psycho.
so with the timing that"s what i'm thinking on doing.
Moving that burn center back a bit and make it longer.
What do you think? :think:

Gorts 5th 12-18-2012 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chryco Psycho (Post 95565)
I have some clue what Comp cam you have but typically 14-18* timing at idle & 36-38* total works best for a timing curve , I disconnect the vacuum advance , high coil voltage hurts nothing except the wires if the plug gap is above .050, I can't see you plugs from here !!

i will post plugs tomorrow haven't pulled them yet. gap .050
Dual Energy™, 275DEH
High Performance Street, Choppy Idle
Part Number: 20-418-3
i'm curious to how my double pumper will run this combo it's in a box on the shelf for the last 14 yrs.
i remember the good-ol days of gas.
shite i know what it will do!
i should rebuild it!

Mr.4spd 12-18-2012 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gorts 5th (Post 95582)
looks like i'm running down the center on the terminals, so i can increase my total advance and back off my initial timing and increase the rate of advance.

I've never heard of reading terminal marks before. How long have you been practicing this? Haven't looked at mine since July or so, but I think mine are burned evenly end to end. This is very interesting to me, can you describe how you determine what the marks mean?

Gorts 5th 12-18-2012 05:48 PM

it's like a ruler a gauge for centering your spark
i don't use timing light's not always accurate slipped balance, not enough timing mark. what's your top dead center,
i've always done it this way.
And only on mopars it seems to work.
the larger the terminal the better these high performance Mallory's have a long large total curve range,
this is the first time i have used Mallory and i like it allot
you can see the center mark on the terminal,
i want t try to run closer to the center.
i think what i need is less initial to give me a more TQ, low rpm but a fast curve to follow the rpm with a longer range of advance,
with a longer spark duration.

Chryco Psycho 12-18-2012 06:00 PM

if you are pinging off cruise you are either lean or have too much advance , are you using vacuum advance at all ??

Gorts 5th 12-18-2012 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chryco Psycho (Post 95595)
if you are pinging off cruise you are either lean or have too much advance , are you using vacuum advance at all ??

yea i feel the same
i went down a size in the rod and richend her up didn't notice any ping today the idle has a little less chop in it
yes vacuum on timed port

Chryco Psycho 12-18-2012 06:26 PM

Do you know that is adjustable as well with a small allen wrench inside the hose nipple counter clockwise reduces the advance or maybe just run without it . Plug heat range can cause ping as well I never run the gap past .045 ,too hard on the ign wires .

440roadrunner 12-18-2012 10:31 PM

Crimeny sakes. TIMING does NOT affect the spark pattern in the cap!!!!

Google "rotor phasing," and from what I see in the photo, the distributor is fine

The cap pattern is ONLY changed by.............

defects in manufacture of the dist, cap, or rotor

changes in the location (such as wear and slop) of the advance plate, or something like a bent linkage on the vacuum advance.

In modern times with people adapting things (like me, I use a GM HEI module triggered by a Mopar type breakerless dist............

If you get the pickup wires reversed, this will change the timing AND rotor phasing.

Some MSD/ other electronic timing systems would change phasing.

"Your's looks fine"

Gorts 5th 12-19-2012 01:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
cap and plug's
1-2 the same as 3.
this is after the changes i thought of making in the earlier thread.

TVLynn 12-19-2012 03:01 PM

How old are those plugs ??? They look crappy

Mr.4spd 12-19-2012 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by TVLynn (Post 95623)
How old are those plugs ??? They look crappy

I believe crappy is the actual SAE definition. Impressive sir.

Gorts 5th 12-19-2012 04:52 PM

the burn is more centered and i'm using the entire terminal.
my just off idle ping is gone i just rich-nd the primaries up 2% about three day's ago, after the tun up i will track the new plugs and adjust accordingly, but i think i will keep my timing the way it is for now.

And yes those plugs are ready for a change and so are the wires the plug's are about 8 months old the wire's are over a year.