General Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats going on???

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I give up..
Old 09-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you need to invest in a decent digital multi meter {auto zone}
The book that comes with the meter will have ideas to check those pesky electrical problems. An old trouble shooter's manual would be a good investment also [like an old Motor's trouble shooter guide] especially for your car. Usually the stalling in gear wont be caused by the vacuum advance [cause the port that it draws vacuum from does not start pulling vac. until the throttle plate reaches a certain point just past the idle ports.] UNLESS, someone has put the vac, to a full time vac, source [which would be incorrect] and then timed the motor in this configuration. Then, yes it could concievable have the symptoms you are incountering. [if the vac, can went bad] I would be concerened about the vacuum leak though. Plug the vac. line and bump the timing up a bit. You do have a timing light I hope. I know everyones giving you a hard time but I guess its cause all of this stuff is so basic to alot of us. You'll learn it and hands on too (which is the best way to do it). BTW, the old carters had a bad habit of sticking the needle and seat. Squirt some tranny fluid down the vent of the carb {youll se it in the round opening} and tap on the fuel bowl with a wrench or something [near the fuel inlet area]. Anyway, these are my thoughts for now, if I think of something i'll repost. And don't forget [most importantly]..........ENJOY!!............
Old 09-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey thanks alot omahamoparguy, people like scott just make me more frustrated in finding the prob by posting pics like the one above, but u know whatever. omaha did you see my ideas about the alternator? i started the car up and pulled the neg cable to battery and it die, turned on the lights and pulled it and it stays running, reconnect and it wants to die, weird.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah sounds like a very weak alternator. {regulator suspect too}
Old 09-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Mopar Fanatic

got the alternator checked today and its good. also fixed a frayed wire that connects to alternator, when pull bat cable, car still dies. could it be a bad ground somewhere? does anyone know if i have a external voltage regulator? where is it at?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Mopar Lover

I know what kind of regulator you have, and you would too, if you read the diagrams I referred you to months ago. Read your manuals and learn your car. Put them next to the toilet and spend some quiet time reading. You wont learn as much asking questions online as you will by studying and learning how all things in the car relate. I promise you will have a few EUREKA! moments. So next time you go to take the "browns to the superbowl", put a manual under your arm and multitask.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by scotts74birds
I know what kind of regulator you have, and you would too, if you read the diagrams I referred you to months ago. Read your manuals and learn your car. Put them next to the toilet and spend some quiet time reading. You wont learn as much asking questions online as you will by studying and learning how all things in the car relate. I promise you will have a few EUREKA! moments. So next time you go to take the "browns to the superbowl", put a manual under your arm and multitask.
2x THAT! I know from experience.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Mopar Fanatic

ok is there a way to test it?
Old 09-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Mopar Fanatic

ok got new voltage reg. and car still dies when lights are on in gear and when pull neg cable off battery, now on top of that, it runs bad when its revved from idle. i watched alternator gauge when car was on and idleing and it slowly went down until the almost halfway point and the when put into gear and turned on light it fell past halfway point and died.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by sgp7679
ok is there a way to test it?
Yes... Its in the manual. Had you bought a manual, done the test, you wouldnt have wasted money on a new regulator. READ A BOOK! There are even sites that tell you how to do it, I've seen them! I wont refer you to them because you need to do something for yourself! Good luck on your car.

Last edited by scotts74birds; 09-03-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:18 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scotts74birds
Yes... Its in the manual. Had you bought a manual, done the test, you wouldnt have wasted money on a new regulator. READ A BOOK! There are even sites that tell you how to do it, I've seen them! I wont refer you to them because you need to do something for yourself! Good luck on your car.
Give it up, he isn't embarrassed that he didn't know a heater valve from an exhaust gas recirculation valve. I honestly believe he is posting here for attention rather than automotive help. The money he spent on transmission work (if that even happened) could have easily paid for a tech to fix this year long issue.

Please don't delete this one.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:59 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Other threads have a saying for this..........
Old 09-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by richinny
you've been posting the same problem in different threads since the first time you backed out of your driveway and that was in 2008! same topic over and over, how could i forget?

you need to find a shop with a mechanic that actually worked on this era car and remembers them. have them go over it and stop throwing parts at the problem.

can a bad vac adv cause a car to stall? yes, along with hundreds of other problems.

if cars were that simple, burger king would fix them in the drive thru.

This has been the topic of several threads. There have been many if not everyone on this board that has tried to offer assistance/help. There is always something new. Just in this thread alone, possible issues have been with:

* Dirty Carb
* Fuel Filters (More than one?)
* Timming
* Distributor
* Vacuum advance
* Vapor lock
* Coil
* Timing Chain
* Valve springs
* Fuel Pump
* EGR (exhaust gas recirculation valve, Oops no that is the heater valve)
* Alternator
* Voltage regulator

(many of these parts have been admittedly replaced, this gets expensive)

Yes I am busting his chops. It is not my intention to be cruel. Stop just throwing parts at it, take some of the advise that has been given to you (Not mine) There are some very knowledgeable people on here that have made suggestions. Discarding all of that, why don't you want a professional to look at it? What is the opposition to having someone that knows what they are doing help you one on one with the car? Every time I log on (at least 4 times a day) I can't help but look at this thread again. It is like a train wreck, You don't really want to see it but you can't help but look anyway.

I sincerely want him to get his car running and if there was any way I could honestly help I would (as well as many other members here would) but I don't think that is the issue any more.

Again, good luck.