Chrysler electrical problems

Old 07-17-2015, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrysler electrical problems

My 1991 Chrysler Imperial has been having some more electrical issues. The PCM was over charging battery & several engine management problems. I had to replace many switch & modules to get her running again. Seems this is a known issue that goes back to 2 years after being built. The ABS is not working & the price to get it working again is over $1000. Does anybody know were I can get instructions * part numbers to convert the ABS brakes to Power assisted brakes? I have read some one did this. But can't remember were. I tried the dealer for some guidance & to see if my 1991 Chrysler was recalled & repaired? No help. The Service manager said that the Mechanics no longer know how or have tool to diagnose my Brake problem? Well my 1991 Chrysler Imperial is running & driving again. Has a Trouble light for ABS & EGR. Just gripes me that Chrysler Dealers are treating me the same was as GM dealers are with my 2004 Chevy SSR. Well I have repair manual & back up parts. I was reading last night that the 1991 Chrysler had many problems with PCM Transmission & ABS months after sold New. Guess I got a Lemon? A person down the street just bought as I can tell by Temporary tags, a 1991 Fifth Avenue. The head light doors do not close & sits low in rear. How could the dealer sell a car with known problems?

Last edited by lady blue; 07-17-2015 at 12:35 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 07-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 868 Likes on 847 Posts
weeeeell.... By the new car and Fed. standards... Your supposed to trash those cars after 6 years and buy a new one..... Just saying....

All I can say is you have to have a good wrecking yard near you for parts....

My hats off to you for keeping them going.....
Old 07-17-2015, 11:38 PM

I am keeping my Vehicles till they get too expensive to repair. Uncle Sam & all his regulations can place them were the light don't shine. I guess you think my Dad should scrap his very Collectable 1984 Chevrolet Caprice Classic? Second motor & 300,000 miles. Parts for his Chevy & my Chrysler are still available. Plus I know of 2 local recycling yards that have parts for our cars. We may not ever pass a EPA SMOG Check. But our vehicles are paid for & no Bank, Credit Union, Manufacture or Politician is making money off us. I have seen you Help for People having problems with their vehicles. What would you do if a Car or truck came in with poor performance & economy. Only OBD II Code is P0420? The service department at Chevrolet did not know a thing about the vehicle. Did not hook up to the Million dollar diagnostic machine to see performance or not up to minimum Standards?
Old 07-18-2015, 06:10 PM
Mopar Lover

Ummmmm Ok...... No I dont think you dad should get rid of his 1984 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 5.0 V-8 With over drive transmission... I dont think you should get rid of any of your vehicles is dont want too.... All I did was make a commit on or about the EPA only wanting low emission vehicles on the road... Sorry if it came across and pissed you off !!!!!!!

My Daily driver is a 1977 Dodge D150 with a 360 V-8 and I Smog it every other year.. I'm on my 3rd engine with with around 570,000 miles on this truck. But I dont know what that has to do with the price of milk?

P0420 Code on your GM SSR.... Check the O2's for working proper or possibly a bad Cat. Converter....

Pick up a Snap-on MT2500 Scan tool to help you with your 1991 Chrysler Imperial repair whose... alldata or Pro-demand will help you allot for your other repair testing problems. And yes you can fix the ABS Problems.

If you need a Processor repaired.... http://www.pcboardrework.com/
Has got my vote....

Old 07-19-2015, 01:15 AM

Not pissed off about your Comment. I do not see the Government doing things to reduce the Trillions of dollars debt. I am doing my part by not making a Purchase of these now throw away cars & trucks. For Example, I see many Cities junking vehicles that if they had the good maintained mechanics? They would get more years out of the vehicles. I could see replacing a Rusted out body. But now days the bodies on Fire Equipment are stainless & Aluminum. Cars & Trucks mostly plastic. The mechanicals could be replaced for much less expensive than buying New. My Chrysler needs a new ABS hydraulic unit. More expensive than the car is worth. I tried to use a Junk yard piece. It was bad too. Chrysler knew of the problem & did nothing? Like my Dad said, His coffee buddies all went out to buy new cars over the last couple years. The Cars they bought broke down days after purchase & spent more time sitting a Service Department waiting for parts than on the road.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:35 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I see you live in Ohio. Are you in an area that is considered "rust belt?" I wonder if corrosion at grounds and connectors is a large part of the problem?
Old 07-19-2015, 01:14 PM

No. There is no water or rusting of Electrical. The Body has some rust but no electrical behind rear tires. The Shorted circuits & melted wiring is all inside passengers compartment & on dashboard. If that was the case corrosion? It would be much easier to spot. Thanks for the idea.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:42 PM
Mopar Lover

Are you at the point were you have to get a wiring harness?
Old 08-27-2015, 09:12 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Just a guess I think places like Pick a Part get some type of $$ credit for all the cars they buy & junk.. They bought my 88 Cutlass Caillia with a broken rod for $250
Old 08-28-2015, 06:54 AM
Mopar Lover

Any update Blue !!!!