4bbl Carburetor help

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4bbl Carburetor help

Hi newer to the forum hope I posted this in the best place…

Well I have a 72 satellite with a 318 that I got off eBay for $800bucks. I went to school for cars but thies days its all EFI so Iam trying to self teach myself about Carburetors. When I first got the car it would not stay on I set the timing changed the plugs but it had a streetmaster intake with a 2bbl carb and adapter. I went ahead and changed the carb to an 4bbl AFB just because it’s the only one I have worked with in the past don’t know if it’s a good carb to run or not.The car starts up nice runs well but ides high (and sorry if Iam wrong on the fallowing info.) from what I know it seemed to have a misfire when the primaries opened, when I messed with the car and set the carb I noticed it was not a misfire but what I think it is is a super lean condition until the secondary’s open up.Iam out of money but the last thing I did is went and re checked the carb to manifold bolts and they were lose as I tightened them I found that one had been striped out. I started the car and spayed carb cleaner by the base of the carb and the car ran bad so there has to be a leak…..I hope

Could it idle well because I have the idle circuit set for the unmeasured air coming threw the base and that would explain the high idle, and then on the primary’s it runs lean and bad until the secondary’s open up and richen the A/F back up.I had a old-timer tell me once that unmeasured air with a carb will make it do crazy things.
Any other ideas ,thanks for your time sorry for my spelling Iam not the best
Old 10-13-2010, 12:41 AM
Mopar Fan

welcome to the forum, it looks like you put this in the right place. As far as the air leak goes, that would very well cause your problem. What kind of choke do you have on this carb? And if you are misfiring it is more than likely caused by running to lean. On your carb/manifold issue, what is stripped out, the bolt hole or the stud? and one last question, (sorry about the order, it is early here and i am still making my brain wake up) What CFM is the carb you droped on there? if the issues you have are with the new intake and carb you dropped on, you might have better luck with the 2bbl. and with gas prices it might be smarter.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Mopar Fan

Its a 600 cfm I see lots of people over fuel there cars-most think bigger is better did not want to do that but wanted room to grow. The choke is not on the carb but thats fine most of time it warm in Northern Ca just tap and it starts....I wish I had the stock intake to use with the 2bbl carb... took the 2 bbl off because at first I was thinking it was leaning out because a 2bbl on a open plem manifold with a 2-4bbl adapter would make it run like crap.I have had a little QT-50 1976 scooter I just sold 30 mins ago so I can run out and get my parts now, going to get a spacer, new gaskets , stud kit(was using bolts) and a tap set and just fix this manifold(with luck). thanks for your help ill let you know later today how it gos.

o and still trying to figure out what a streetmaster intake is...I think it is an old first run of the edelbrock torquer but thats just me talking... I just want a cool little street car... would it be money well spent to just get a split duel manifold.