Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Battery Not Charging (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/battery-not-charging-1488/)

Satellite_Guy 09-09-2008 09:28 AM

Battery Not Charging

I have a 1970 Pylmouth Satellite that the battery will not charge on. I can charge the the battery with a charger and it is fine, but when I drive the car it's like the altenator is not charging the battey. I had the altenator checked and it tested okay and I check the battery cables and they are okay.

I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some advice on what else I can check or why the battery will not charge.

Thanks,
Josh

78D200 09-09-2008 11:05 AM

dead cell in the battery? maybe have it load tested. also check to make sure that the belt is tight.

richinny 09-09-2008 11:15 AM

ground on voltage regulator or the voltage regulator itself?

Commando 09-09-2008 12:15 PM

Have you added anything that causes extra draw on the electrical system?

Maybe you are drawing more power then it can handle.

Satellite_Guy 09-09-2008 12:32 PM

I had the battery tested at the same time as the altenator. I didn't think about the voltage regulator, I am going to check that and see if it is the problem. I have not added anything to the car it has the stock stuff that it came with. Is there any way to have the voltage regulator tested or to see if it's bad?

Commando 09-09-2008 03:31 PM

Didn't someone just have a similar issue that was resolved by replacing the ballast resistor? Maybe its the same issue.

richinny 09-09-2008 07:00 PM

that was a different issue (resistor)

maybe someone can tell you how to bypass the regulator, i don't have my books handy. one of the leads gets grounded after removing the connector from the regulator. this will max out the alternator so don't rev the engine. you'll hear the alternator hum and the engine slow down and the voltage climb up.

first make sure you have a good connection at the regulator and that there is no rust between the regulator and the mounting holes.