Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Chevy guy building Mopar (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/chevy-guy-building-mopar-1573/)

kjwalters4510 10-02-2008 07:02 AM

Chevy guy building Mopar

Hi Everyone. As the thread says I am a chevy guy building his first Mopar. I have had allot a reservations about going mopar but I just cant put a chevy in the car I am building (all steel 1936 plymouth pro street). So I have a few questions for you guys that have built some serious HP on mopar blocks.
I have done allot of reading and seems there is a little confusion as to what the stock blocks can hold.
This is what I have to work with and if you dont mind shoot your ideas as to what I should do.
I have to blocks to choose from, a early 413 and a later 1977 440. My original thought was that I would build the 413 because the cylinder walls would be stronger because of the smaller bore, meaning thicker walls? (Am I right about this?) The engine I want to build will be forced induction (turbocharged). I know allot of people like the 440 because of the displacement, however if I run 14.7 PSI of boost the engine will basically act like a 840 ci motor (plenty of power for me) In any case, I plan on a completely forged rotating assy. including J.E dish pistons, H beam rods and 4340 crank. My biggest fear is the strength of the block. I was told to half fill the block and run a main griddle on the bottom end.
The car is a Pro street car and will see 8-10 lbs of boost (mostly) because of street driving. However I would like the motor to be able to handle 12-15lbs if needed for the track. So what do you think? Any thoughts about this combo? I could also build the 440 if needed, however the larger bore would seem to me to be mean the cylinders would be thinner, also I was told that the 1976 and later blocks used 10% softer material in them then the pre 1976 blocks.
I could also use some guidance in the head department. There are allot of heads to choose from but since I am forced induction I dont need a super ported head I just need something that flows well will be well made.
O.K that's it guys... lets hear what you have to say. Thanks in advance.

JAMIE

Commando 10-02-2008 07:45 AM

Welcome to the forums.

If I were you I would read about the 440 blocks here: http://www.440source.com/blockinfo.htm

I learned some stuff from reading that, so I hope this helps you make your decision. Also a good source for the 440 parts.

kjwalters4510 10-02-2008 09:43 AM

Very informative that did shed some light on the subject. However, I have been told that the products 440source sells are not of good quality (cranks, rods..ect.), not that that matters as far as the research they have done, just that their idea of what is quality and what is not may be in question. I would be interested in hearing from people here that may have made 750+ HP on a rotating assy from 440source with good results and reliability. I have yet to buy a rotating assy. I was told that they dont trust their pistons with 14-15psi of boost on them. A forged piston should be able to stand that. So thats why I would like some first hand feedback on their parts, you cant believe everything you hear. Thanks again for your response Commando.

Commando 10-02-2008 11:02 AM

Definitely, I agree with you.

I bought a water pump from them as they were the only reasonably priced one with the application I had in mind, there was some stuff (from manufacturing) inside the pump itself, that I cleaned a bit out of, but other then that I am pleased with their products.

kjwalters4510 10-02-2008 11:47 AM

Thanks for that, I was actually thinking of using K1 products, I have heard some good things from them, prices are fair. Thanks again