Engine wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine wiring harness

I am switching over from the lean burn wiring to the electronic ignition, and am trying to figure out two of the wires. The car has already been switched over but since changing engines I need to address them, so I am thinning the wiring harness down on the 440 engine, had 400 in the car. Both engines are from 1977 and had lean burn on them, so it should be relatively simply.

So here is my question: The plug that hooks up to the bulkhead with six spots for wires, 1 it has the coolant temperature sensor, 2 oil pressure, 3 coil, 4 blank on the plug, but the socket has a wire (not going to bother tracing as stock wiring has the wire missing from the plug), this leaves two wires 5 a blue one that splits with one end going to the lean burn, and the other end going to a plug I marked air conditioning compressor (I marked it a year ago, and am doubting myself as it doesn't go too far from the bulkhead), and 6 the other wire green/ purple (I will double check the color tomorrow) that goes to the lean burn. Does anyone know what the blue wire, and the green/ purple wire are for?

I disconnected the green/ purple one and cut the blue one on the leg that led to the lean burn, this allowed me to drop the whole rest of the wiring harness which was a lot of help to me trying to trace it all, and easily figure out how the electronic system hooks up. I just want to make sure I am not going to cause any issues and I am right about those two wires.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found in the back of a Chilton's the lean burn wiring diagram, the colors are close but it would appear that: The blue wire heads to the idle stop solenoid as well as the AC. the green wire has a red stripe not purple, and looks like it heads to the 5 Ohm ballast, so it would appear I do not need either wire.

Am I right about not using those wires?
Old 12-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
as far as the idle stop you dont need it on the 440 and if your not running ac i guess you dont need that one either but as far as wireing im not to keen on it sorry but i would just go by your book