Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   How do I remove the steering coupler from the steering gear. (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/how-do-i-remove-steering-coupler-steering-gear-5858/)

cvon 04-10-2010 12:35 PM

How do I remove the steering coupler from the steering gear.

I'm new to this mopar forum and need assistance removing the steering coupler from the manual steering gear of a 69 roadrunner. I've managed to remove the steering column and wheel from the car but would like to disassemble the steering coupler from the manual steering gear. The lower pin is out and you can see clear to the other side through the hole. It still does not pull off. Does it screw off? How is it removed at this point? help?

OHD 04-10-2010 03:13 PM

it should slide up and off, if not use a little heat and a hammer tap up using hd plyers/ vice grips..under the joint and loose not touching the splines.

MReeves 04-10-2010 03:44 PM

Welcome to the forum!!!! How about some photos ????? We would love to see your ride.....

cvon 04-11-2010 04:49 PM

Thanks I will give it a try. Is there a pulley that I can buy to pull the coupler off, if this does not work?

cvon 04-11-2010 04:51 PM

Sorry this car was a michigan survivor that was disassembled because of severe rust. I was taking apart the steering column components so that someone else could possibly benifit from its donor parts.

cvon 04-12-2010 05:47 AM

OHD,

The coupler moved 1/8 of an inch with the heat and then stopped. As I mentioned in the above thread there does not seem to be a pin in the hole at the bottom of the coupler. I can put a nail in the hole through to the other side. It's still not moving. Is the pin that holds it on the gear hollow or solid? I never removed a pin from this location, it has always been hollow.

OHD 04-12-2010 09:19 AM

it is a hollow roll pin, you can also use a drill. drill out the pin if it was not or will not move or knock out.

rdrunner1974 04-12-2010 09:49 AM

coupler pin

Use a punch 3/16" diameter and drive the pin out. It is hollow, often called a roll or spring pin.