Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   inside of 318 looks bad...any help (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/inside-318-looks-bad-any-help-7878/)

luke 10-27-2010 08:31 PM

inside of my 318 looks bad...any help

I fished up the inside for now and moved on to the satellites 318. When I pulled the valve covers for clean up I found the rocker arms to have what looks like rust same with parts of the shaft and push rods .When I first got the car it was towed in and I drained the back oil but it did not have any water in it.I have $150 bucks at Jegs was thinking to get there cam new push rods and lifters.....the engine runs strong ... Any advice ?
thanks luke

https://moparforums.com/forums/pictu...pictureid=2598

bremereric 10-27-2010 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by luke (Post 57511)
I fished up the inside for now and moved on to the satellites 318. When I pulled the valve covers for clean up I found the rocker arms to have what looks like rust same with parts of the shaft and push rods .When I first got the car it was towed in and I drained the back oil but it did not have any water in it.I have $150 bucks at Jegs was thinking to get there cam new push rods and lifters.....the engine runs strong ... Any advice ?
thanks luke

https://moparforums.com/forums/pictu...pictureid=2598

Don't forget new rocker arms..the stamped steel ones are available at any good parts store...my daughter hot rodded her 318 Gran Fury without letting it warm up first..pushed two pushrods right through the rocker arms...Eric

luke 10-27-2010 09:04 PM

Ok thanks:) good to know. The cams that they have are 262°/272° .420"/.442" 1500-4000 and .441"/.441" 276°/286° 1500-4000 I would rather try not to have to change the springs at this point because of money. Is one cam better then the other to run?I have a 600 cfm, street master intake, ignition, nothing big . How do I adjust the valves if the rocker arms are on a shaft? Do I put the cam in and use a push rod checker for length ?
thanks

65fury 10-28-2010 06:54 AM

By looking at my fury and the pics you posted it doesnt seem to me that you can adjust the rocker arms. They are shaft mounted so you just bolt the group of rocker on and go. I do think they are self adjusting. And if you see any wear on the rockers they sould be replaced of course. If not and just want to get rid of the rust just take them off and sand blast the rust off and put a coating on em and go.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

65fury 10-28-2010 07:18 AM

this post was made to subscribe to the thread. Want to make sure how to resolve this problem if and when it happens to me.

bremereric 10-28-2010 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by luke (Post 57514)
Ok thanks:) good to know. The cams that they have are 262°/272° .420"/.442" 1500-4000 and .441"/.441" 276°/286° 1500-4000 I would rather try not to have to change the springs at this point because of money. Is one cam better then the other to run?I have a 600 cfm, street master intake, ignition, nothing big . How do I adjust the valves if the rocker arms are on a shaft? Do I put the cam in and use a push rod checker for length ?
thanks

The second cam will give you a tad bit more power and lope...good for a 8:1 or 9:1 CR motor...you can run the same factory springs with that small of cam...the pushrods are factory length and should not need changed...the rocker arms are shaft mounted and there are no adjustments...check for wear in the pocket area of the rocker arms and replace them it they look really worn...this is the area that is in contact with the pushrod...if you install a new cam you need new lifters..do not use the old lifters on a new cam...I would also suggest new pushrods....lifters are 90 bucks....stock pushrods are about the same amount and the rockers arms are like 5-9 bucks a piece

luke 10-28-2010 11:38 AM

Thats the best news of the week for me..I have been looking for an excuse to spend some money on the top end:) now I just cross my fingers the lower end will be ok and it wont spin a just after I finish the top end.

rr69half6bbl 10-28-2010 05:55 PM

If your not gonna use a real radical cam, you can go to any junk yard and use a set of rockers and pushrods from any 318-360. 84 and older, theyre all the same, as long as theryre not like your current ones. then you can spend more money on the cam and lifter change.

bremereric 10-28-2010 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by luke (Post 57553)
Thats the best news of the week for me..I have been looking for an excuse to spend some money on the top end:) now I just cross my fingers the lower end will be ok and it wont spin a just after I finish the top end.

Too bad you don't live closer or have lots of money I could help you...I have built five motors including a cross bolted main 427 Ford motor...he gave me two books and it started right up with a 650 lift mechanical cam...my 440 in my Dart was my last...lots of power and no leaks...try that with a Mopar