Mopar Forums

Mopar Forums (/forums/)
-   General Technical Questions (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Kill switch in 91 dodge dynasty 3.3 (https://moparforums.com/forums/f7/kill-switch-91-dodge-dynasty-3-3-a-3144/)

stazja01 05-26-2009 03:27 PM

Kill switch in 91 dodge dynasty 3.3

A car was stolen at a lot I normally park in where I work overnight. It's not terribly well lit and there's usually only about 2 or 3 cars there when I am there. I was on vacation when it happened and my replacement is the one who had his car stolen. Needless to say, I'm thinking of a few countermeasures.

I'd like to install a kill switch that could be located somewhere out of the way such as the trunk (I get in there every day when I work so it wouldn't be much of an inconvenience). What I'm looking for is one wire that's not too high of a load that I could cut with a switch that would effectively disable the car without turning off the radio and losing all of my presets daily. I had a similar switch in an old el camino I had and it was connected to the positive wire going to the distributor. You could crank the car but it wouldn't start when it was off. I like my dynasty LE very much and would like to avoid having it damaged/stolen.

Polaradude 05-26-2009 05:36 PM

I think the part # is Glock 9mm.
You should be able to splice into the solenoid wire, just a thought.

scotts74birds 05-26-2009 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Polaradude (Post 20381)
I think the part # is Glock 9mm.
You should be able to splice into the solenoid wire, just a thought.

I like the way you think! However, a momentary contact push-button to a latching relay for the fuel pump would work also.

richinny 05-26-2009 10:48 PM

i like the fuel cutoff. it leaves the car in a very noticeable position when it dies. thieves don't like being seen.

stazja01 05-27-2009 01:34 PM

All good ideas. I'll have to ponder those. I'd like a little more info about the fuel pump idea as I'm not terribly experienced with relays (though I do know what they are and basically how they work) I was also thinking of a second switch that when flipped on ties into the positive wire to the ignition and activates a couple of old car alarm sirens I have laying around.

In regards to a weapon, I have seriously considered getting a concealed carry permit. I often take naps between jobs in the backseat of the dynasty (very comfortable actually) and have aggressively drunk people wonder by all the time. I work in a big university town, won't say which but they're famous for their sports and sports related riots.

I already sleep with one of these between my knees https://www.militaryitems.com/files/.../det/d_961.jpg (about as long as my forearm) but I'd love to have something with a little more range. I have a shotgun and a couple rifles but no handguns as of yet. If I buy one, I'll probably get something small like a .25 semi-auto (my dad has one that fits in the palm of your hand) or a .22 short. They're not terribly accurate but for self defense purposes they work just fine (preferably as a deterrent) and they would be much more easily concealable under a t-shirt than a large handgun.