Leaking power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking power steering fluid

I have a question, my 72 Duster is leaking steering fluid quite bad, it's leaking from the steering box I'm assuming? Im not sure the correct name of the part that it is leaking from, but the steering column runs into the part of said leak. The power steering pump hoses run into this part as well, is this the steering gear box? If so, what would be the best way to stop the leak, replace a seal? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys

Jon . P
Old 01-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Mopar Fan

Hi Jon, I know its probably a stupid question, but have you checked that the high pressure inlet hose (the thick pipe) and the return pipe, (the thin one) are properly secured at the steering box? As I found out recently, if they are not then it doesn't take long for the contents of the pump to spill out onto your driveway! If they are and you are happy that the leak isn't from the hoses, then I would assume you have a problem with the seals within the steering box as you described. My limited experience with rebuilding steering components makes me suggest exploring local companies who will rebuild your box with new seals etc. By the time you have sourced a rebuild kit etc and some tools to do it properly, you may find it easier to have it reconditioned! Im pretty sure someone recently recommended a company on one of the forums, though I may be mistaken. Sure someone knows one on here though.....good luck
Old 01-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 170 Likes on 166 Posts
DD -

First you have to make sure you know which seal or hose is leaking.

I had that problem with the Charger a few years ago. It was the lower seal to the pitman arm. If you get lucky it's a pretty easy fix if you can get under the car. IIRC we removed the retainer and the arm and then hard turned the steerting wheel and the old seal blew out. Them it's just a matter or replacing the seal and refilling the fluid.

Disclaimer - it was a few years back, and I'm doing this from memory...

Archer

Last edited by Archer; 01-21-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:25 AM

Thanks guys, I'm ongoing the process now to see where exactly the leak is coming from.

Jon P.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:03 AM

Okay,

I have been under the car and I have discovered that the leak is coming from the lower seal as well as the upper seal. I have a seal kit ordered to replace both lower and upper seals. My question now is, How do I remove the steering shaft from the power steering gear box? Seems like theres a pin on the lower side of the coupling body that may be the key to pulling the shaft out but I'm not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys,

Thanks again,

Jon P.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:52 AM
Mopar Fan

Hi Jon,

Glad you are making some progress. Im on the same learning curve and although I dont know enough about your question to help directly, I swear by the factory workshop manual for my Polara. Any repairs Ive done have been covered in it and as long as you dont cut corners and follow each step exactly as described, you shouldnt have any problems. Ive seen links to online manuals and I got mine from ebay. Ive also got it on CD so I can just print the pages off I need for use at the car. Ive looked and there is one on ebay (item no 290463207409) for your car. I also study the parts manual before a repair as I get it in my head just how the part or system is made up and what to expect when I start taking bits apart. Good way to learn and combined with the knowledge on this site, most things get fixed!